Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2020 Coaching Carousel

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
HkyMtneer
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:09 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:18 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:57 am
Only thing that matters to Freeze is cold hard cash.
And hookers.

which he buys with cash. So yeah, cold hard cash.

Plus, hes probably already tired of the Lynchburg supply.

man, I never bought into the idea that we broke Michigan football, but if Harbaugh can't get it done there, who can?
5 years at $3+ mil per year at Liberty is damn good money...and not many places would be worth the difference to leave Lynchburg, especially in the stress and headache category. With his new Liberty contract he can chill in Lynchburg and make a cool $15+ mil over the next 5 years by simply continuing to "build the brand". That price point already puts him basically even to out-of-reach of half of the Power 5, especially when considering the stress that living in the bottom half of the P5 brings. Unless you're an SEC or upper-half B10 or B12 team then you'd be better off, if you're Freeze, staying in the relative quietness of Lynchburg...unless you truly are motivated simply by 1.) even more $$$, or 2.) legitimately want to win National Championships. If either of those are the case, then Liberty better start looking for the next big hire.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:20 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:09 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
And hookers.

man, I never bought into the idea that we broke Michigan football, but if Harbaugh can't get it done there, who can?
5 years at $3+ mil per year at Liberty is damn good money...and not many places would be worth the difference to leave Lynchburg, especially in the stress and headache category. With his new Liberty contract he can chill in Lynchburg and make a cool $15+ mil over the next 5 years by simply continuing to "build the brand". That price point already puts him basically even to out-of-reach of half of the Power 5, especially when considering the stress that living in the bottom half of the P5 brings. Unless you're an SEC or upper-half B10 or B12 team then you'd be better off, if you're Freeze, staying in the relative quietness of Lynchburg...unless you truly are motivated simply by 1.) even more $$$, or 2.) legitimately want to win National Championships. If either of those are the case, then Liberty better start looking for the next big hire.
For people like Freeze(ego-manics in particular) it's not so much about money, as it is about how many cameras are in front of them. The Liberty tenure has only had one objective: prove to the P5 powers that he can still "coach". This was never about building up Liberty to be a successful program, this has been about restoring some shine on his name. I would put money on the Liberty program taking a huge step back next year (because he is leaving) and reading all kinds of stories of how the success of 2020 was just a house of cards. Freeze and his ilk are dirt bags of the highest order, those tigers don't change their stripes.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:27 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:51 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
And hookers.

We were definitely the straw that broke the camels back. Losing to a IAA team was more the moment that exposed Michigan as opposed to creating the problems.

Michigan has an identity problem. It understandably believes itself to be on par with Ohio State due to history, despite the fact that the two really haven’t been peers for 2 decades now.

Michigan doesn’t need another flashy coaching hire, it needs a full reboot, including accepting that they may have a bad losing season or two to reset. Which is probably impossible to do at a program with their pedigree.

But they are very much in danger of becoming Nebraska.
Isn’t that the same issue they have in Columbia?

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:07 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:27 pm
ah59396 wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
And hookers.

We were definitely the straw that broke the camels back. Losing to a IAA team was more the moment that exposed Michigan as opposed to creating the problems.

Michigan has an identity problem. It understandably believes itself to be on par with Ohio State due to history, despite the fact that the two really haven’t been peers for 2 decades now.

Michigan doesn’t need another flashy coaching hire, it needs a full reboot, including accepting that they may have a bad losing season or two to reset. Which is probably impossible to do at a program with their pedigree.

South Carolina’s problem is they were never any good to begin with. Outside of that blip with Spurrier, they are a sub .500 football program.
They haven’t won a conference title since LBJ was in office.
Their bowl record is terrible.

Have they even been ranked since 2014?
YNWA

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:11 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:07 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
And hookers.

South Carolina’s problem is they were never any good to begin with. Outside of that blip with Spurrier, they are a sub .500 football program.

All very true points. But they do have reason to believe they SHOULD be a consistent power. First is obviously their conference affiliation, they have all the facilities you could want, in the middle of a recruiting hotbed. They need a coach who can tell them where they currently stand(not good enough to compete) and how it will take a few years to the program moving in the right direction. Honestly they are a stud QB away from causing problems.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:22 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:48 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... d=msedgdhp

Here's an article on the next SC Head Coach
I would have to think that Chadwell, Napier, Sarkisian, Freeze, Brady, and Venables are their top targets but wonder if Fickell at Cincy would be on their list?

Healy is a name I don't see being ready for a P5 job yet. I wonder if Satt would have interest because that job is not really better than Louisville except conference affiliation.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:28 pm

Anyone on here could have written that article.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:52 am
If I were the cocks, I would go get the beach chickens HC. Jeremy Chadwell would be a good fit IMO. Give him 3-4 years and they will be on the right track in the SEC and competitive against Clemson.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamey_Chadwell

Chadwell #1
Napier #2
Freeze #3
You are a lot more impressed with Chadwell than I am. Not saying he hasn't done a good job but I just don't really see him as a better coach than Napier and neither are in Freeze's stratosphere. Honestly that list would be flipped for me.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:39 pm

I believe you can pretty much separate the P5’s into different categories:

Legit powers who expect to win 11+ and do it and the coach can’t win 8 EVER! Michigan

Occasional powers who go nuts and win 11+ about once every 4 years then 8 the other 3 years and people are content- several ACC and Big 10/12.

P5’s who struggle to win 7 games but it’s expected and people are content- Wake

P5’s who struggle to win 7 games but their delusional fan base expects 11 and fires the coach after 2 years (South Carolina and probably 4 other SEC schools)

P5’s who suck but have lots of money thanks to their big brothers who win big bowls- several

P5’s who are living off of glory from 20-30 years ago and can’t accept that it’s gone- Nebraska

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:49 pm

I'm just enjoying seeing the "Coaching Carousel" topic without becoming nauseous, taking ulcer meds, or breaking out in hives.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:18 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:11 pm
ah59396 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:

And hookers.

All very true points. But they do have reason to believe they SHOULD be a consistent power. First is obviously their conference affiliation, they have all the facilities you could want, in the middle of a recruiting hotbed. They need a coach who can tell them where they currently stand(not good enough to compete) and how it will take a few years to the program moving in the right direction. Honestly they are a stud QB away from causing problems.
Like a lot of SEC also-rans, they make the mistake of believing that being in the same conference with elite programs means they are an elite program themselves. Not everyone in the SEC can be great; some need to be filler for the big boys to beat up on. That's the South Carolinas, Mississippi States, Missouris and Kentuckys of the world (of course with occasional good years to get their hopes up).

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:40 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:18 pm
NavyApp wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:11 pm
ah59396 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Like a lot of SEC also-rans, they make the mistake of believing that being in the same conference with elite programs means they are an elite program themselves. Not everyone in the SEC can be great; some need to be filler for the big boys to beat up on. That's the South Carolinas, Mississippi States, Missouris and Kentuckys of the world (of course with occasional good years to get their hopes up).
While I do agree with you, winning programs can be built. The problem is for a lot of the P5s is they refuse to accept what they see in the mirror. Like you said they believe they are an elite program due to the proximity of great programs on their schedule. If they could be honest with themselves and bring in a younger coach who has a clear plan and vision on how to get them their they'd have a real shot. But again it starts with the fans/alumni understanding what they actually are and allowing a coach room and time to grow. They have talent, money, facilities.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:19 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:36 am
scatman77 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:23 pm
They'll never be satisfied unless Paul Dietzel or Joe Morrison returns from the grave. The fan base here in York County said they needed to get a hungry up-and-coming young coach, not some other school's cast off. I told 'em you had that man 5 years ago but Tanner let him go; he's now doing great things at GaState.
LOL, I truly had no idea who you were referring to until you got to the end of that sentence.

I'm sure they're kicking themselves about not hiring the guy whose team is in last place in its Sun Belt division in year 4.
Funny....the same thing was said about Satt by a lot of Mountaineers but look what he did. This year is not that great for him right now but I believe he'll have GaState as one of the SBC powers along side us in a year or two. I still stick by my story that USC should have kept him.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:36 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:19 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
scatman77 wrote:
They'll never be satisfied unless Paul Dietzel or Joe Morrison returns from the grave. The fan base here in York County said they needed to get a hungry up-and-coming young coach, not some other school's cast off. I told 'em you had that man 5 years ago but Tanner let him go; he's now doing great things at GaState.
LOL, I truly had no idea who you were referring to until you got to the end of that sentence.

I'm sure they're kicking themselves about not hiring the guy whose team is in last place in its Sun Belt division in year 4.
Funny....the same thing was said about Satt by a lot of Mountaineers but look what he did. This year is not that great for him right now but I believe he'll have GaState as one of the SBC powers along side us in a year or two. I still stick by my story that USC should have kept him.
The sentiment against Elliott here is interesting to me. I get I don’t know everything and that’s fine, I don’t want to.

But he’s 19-25 (.432) with Ga State, and they were 20-61 (.215) before he got there. And nearly all of that awfulness was against arguably weaker FCS competition.

They are a vastly better program under Shawn.
YNWA

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:40 pm

scatman77 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
scatman77 wrote:

Satt finished third in the Sun Belt in his second year, went 11-2 his third year and won the league in year 4 (the year Elliott is in now). And Elliott didn't have to navigate an FCS transition. Absolutely no comparison between the two.

If Elliott weren't an "App guy" no one on this board would give him a second thought.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:51 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:36 pm
scatman77 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
scatman77 wrote:

The sentiment against Elliott here is interesting to me. I get I don’t know everything and that’s fine, I don’t want to.

But he’s 19-25 (.432) with Ga State, and they were 20-61 (.215) before he got there. And nearly all of that awfulness was against arguably weaker FCS competition.

They are a vastly better program under Shawn.
But that's comparing the years when they were starting up a program from scratch and moving quickly to FBS to later years. Of course they were going to be terrible for a few years. Elliott took over a program that at least had established some roots at the FBS level - not a good program mind you, but no longer a startup. They'd been to a bowl game, beaten GS two years straight, and had the new stadium on the way.

Has he made them better? Sure, marginally. But there's just nothing special about being a middle-of-the-pack Sun Belt team. Especially when you see someone like Coastal come in later and lap them. Kind of makes it harder to keep making excuses. Let alone think that South Carolina or any other SEC program would regret not hiring him.

Forget South Carolina - his own alma mater had an opening each of the last two years and wasn't interested in him. That should probably tell us something.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:52 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:22 pm
Black Saturday wrote:

I would have to think that Chadwell, Napier, Sarkisian, Freeze, Brady, and Venables are their top targets but wonder if Fickell at Cincy would be on their list?

Healy is a name I don't see being ready for a P5 job yet. I wonder if Satt would have interest because that job is not really better than Louisville except conference affiliation.
Not sure what "Beer Gut" was getting paid at SC, but I'd imagine SC is high pressure to produce being in the SEC. The SC buyout I haven't seen but not long ago I heard 18M. Probably a couple M$ more than Sat is making now.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:12 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:52 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:22 pm
Black Saturday wrote:

Not sure what "Beer Gut" was getting paid at SC, but I'd imagine SC is high pressure to produce being in the SEC. The SC buyout I haven't seen but not long ago I heard 18M. Probably a couple M$ more than Sat is making now.
SC would pay more than Louisville but if you are Satt do you really want to leave for a job that will be just as hard to win with down there for just 1.5M more? Maybe he is interested but if I'm him I wait it out and see what comes if he can win 10+ games at Louisville. I would imagine there are better caliber SEC big money jobs that might come calling when open then.

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:33 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:35 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
If I were the cocks, I would go get the beach chickens HC. Jeremy Chadwell would be a good fit IMO. Give him 3-4 years and they will be on the right track in the SEC and competitive against Clemson.

Chadwell #1
Napier #2
Freeze #3
You are a lot more impressed with Chadwell than I am. Not saying he hasn't done a good job but I just don't really see him as a better coach than Napier and neither are in Freeze's stratosphere. Honestly that list would be flipped for me.
I agree. He has no P5 experience at at all and not alot at the G5 level. He doesn't even have a winning record overall at coastal yet. Give him 3 or 4 more years and lets see how he measures up. Picking him for a P5 head coach would be a desperate reach. There are plenty of P5 coordinators and more experienced G5 coaches that I'm sure would be interested in SC

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:30 pm

postalapp90 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:33 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:35 pm
Appstate88 wrote:

Chadwell #1
Napier #2
Freeze #3
I agree. He has no P5 experience at at all and not alot at the G5 level. He doesn't even have a winning record overall at coastal yet. Give him 3 or 4 more years and lets see how he measures up. Picking him for a P5 head coach would be a desperate reach. There are plenty of P5 coordinators and more experienced G5 coaches that I'm sure would be interested in SC
I don't see any way Chadwell gets the SC HC job but he does have experience as a HC and has been a winner at places that don't have a ton of resources. I do agree it would be good to see him win a SBC title and perform at a high level for 2-3 years before a P5 should take him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”