Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sun Belt Game Cancelled

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
MtnMan14
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sun Belt Game Cancelled

Unread post by MtnMan14 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:12 pm

citroknight wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:20 am
hapapp wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:21 pm
Stop trying to make this out to more than it is. Coastal is not scared of playing this game and just made up this COVID excuse. We can dislike them without creating conspiracies and making stuff up. I believe there's been enough disinformation in the last month that we don't need to add to it.

If I recall we went a month without playing but I don't remember anyone here claiming we were ducking UL and Ga Southern until we would be healthier. I think UL had a great chance to win the title and would have been pulling for them but I don't think Coastal is ducking them.
To add to this, it really would've been to their benefit to play. In most years the 2nd place challenger for the G5 NY6 spot is fully reliant on the lead horse (Cincy) losing so they take the top spot. But Coastal was ranked high enough at #12 that a win over #19 Louisiana could've potentially pushed them as high as #10 and allow them to get an at large NY6 spot without having to depend on Tulsa beating Cincy. Once the SBCCG was called, they became fully dependent on the AACCG.
While I personally understand your logic here, I think you’re giving the CFP committee too much credit for being fair. I don’t think there’s any way they allow two G5 programs to have NY6 games. They like keeping that one G5 tie in as the ultimate prize for the G5. They’re not going to allow this situation to change the precedent that has already been set.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:13 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:09 pm
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... itle-game/

Interesting read, ccu appears to have known they would be in ny6 if they did not play. Just didn’t know which. I hope they get their butts kicked.
"Could" not would.

MtnMan14

Unread post by MtnMan14 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:14 pm

huskie3 wrote:

Interesting read, ccu appears to have known they would be in ny6 if they did not play. Just didn’t know which. I hope they get their butts kicked.
This was before Cincinnati played last night and won their conference. I think this was saying they were eligible because the G5 tie in has to be a conference champion and they were considered conference champions even though they did not play. I think with Cincinnati winning last night this is now off the table.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:25 pm

huskie3 wrote:

This only pertains to the guaranteed G5 spot though, which required Cincy to lose for CCU to get the NY6. Theoretically, had they beaten highly ranked UL again, they could have been in the running for an open invitation although it's unprecedented.
I wonder if they've now shot themselves in the foot and not get any bowl if they're riding out a 2 week quarantine...so is their season done now unless they get some miracle open invite to one of the NY6 bowls?

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:34 pm

College football politics are much like National politics. I learned this in an Athletic Admin course I took at App. To say that CCU did or did not want to play would be dealt with. The resulting decision would be spun to look favorable to all sides. The whole process is much more complicated than it appears. As the Good Book says "Be wise as an adder, harmless as a dove." Time and the rumor mill will determine what we discover.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:17 pm

SOOOO...Coastal did not get an NY6 open invite...sounds like if they had played the championship game and won they would've gotten in.

Appstrong

Unread post by Appstrong » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:24 pm

Word is they’ve got Liberty in the Cure Bowl

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:26 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:17 pm
SOOOO...Coastal did not get an NY6 open invite...sounds like if they had played the championship game and won they would've gotten in.
I think they blew it. Nothing's guaranteed because maybe the committee doesn't move them up enough, but I feel like they would have.

This year was the best year to do it because all 3 bowls with at large spots were being used as bowls and not semifinal hosts.

3 spots were taken by autobids: the Pac 12 champ displaced because of the Rose Bowl being a semifinal 25 Oregon, the Big 12 champ displaced because of the Sugar bowl being a semifinal 6 Oklahoma, and the G5 autobid 8 Cincinnati. The Orange Bowl also locked up the ACC champ or highest available team vs the highest available B1G/SEC team, 14 UNC vs 5 TAMU.

So the 3 at large spots left went to 7 UF, 9 UGA, and 10 Iowa State. I think Coastal had a shot at 10 if they beat Louisiana for a second time, a team that handled Iowa State.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:56 pm

Appstrong wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:24 pm
Word is they’ve got Liberty in the Cure Bowl
Yep. But how can they be out of quarantine by Dec 26th? What am I missing here because the math isn't working for me.

Appstrong

Unread post by Appstrong » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:02 pm

Not sure what Sunbelt requires, but CDC says you are cleared 10 days after onset of symptoms. My math says 9 days if the position coach had symptoms. Not sure on the quarantined players, that would be 14 days from last contact by CDC. Let’s see how they explain their way into this game.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:11 pm

I believe the criteria for exposed is down to 5 days if they test negative at that time, so players should be ok.
Bring Your A Game!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:30 pm

The guidelines we use for work which were just updated a few weeks ago by the CDC was that employees exposed to a positive Covid individual are to be quarantined for 14 days. Perhaps the guidance has changed or the Sun Belt has its own rules.
Also, the players would actually be quarantined, as well as the coach of course, which means no practice, workouts, or team meetings in person. This just feeds my conspiracy theory tendencies that I struggle to contain at times :twisted: ... :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”