Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sun Belt Game Cancelled

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
MrCraig
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sun Belt Game Cancelled

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:36 am

I don't want to start another argument like some of the ones we had in the off season, but this has bothered me since baseball started back up.
Why don't the teams that can't play have to forfeit? If an ENTIRE position group has to quarantine because ONE person tested positive, that means they were not following social distancing protocol. Yet their punishment is... keeping an undefeated season? That's not fair.
And yes, I realize this would've negatively impacted App's season too. It just sends the message that social distancing and taking this virus seriously doesn't really matter, because if a bunch of your players get it, we will just reschedule or cancel the games and it won't matter.

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:40 am

citroknight wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:48 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:17 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:57 pm
CCU wins here. Unless Cincy lost they weren’t going to make the NY6 auto bid. They had more to lose and lost an OL and LB in the Troy game.

ULL already landed in SC...
That is what I'm thinking. Cincy should not drop below CCU unless they lose big time here. A team should not vault up without actually playing a game.
Idk if I see the committee having that kind of mercy on a G5 losing to a G5. Cincy would probably drop behind CC if they lost.

But let's say they lose and don't drop behind CC. Coastal still gets the G5 autobid over Cincy because to qualify you have to be a G5 conference champ, which Cincy wouldn't be. If Cincy still stays in the top 12 (which again, I doubt), then maaaybe they have a chance as an at large but they may be out by 1 or 2 spots.
Coastal is not a conference champion either. The championship game is cancelled

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:43 am

I would say that it isn't considered a forfeit as a matter of public policy. If that were the case, there would be an incentive for teams to hide issues, or not comply with reporting requirements. This is a pandemic, and attempts to "socially distance" during practice of a position group are practically impossible. The measures that teams implement are intended to reduce risk. Eliminating risk is impossible. In a "normal" year, I would see the argument of a forfeit, but not in a pandemic situation.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:44 am

postalapp90 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:40 am
citroknight wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:48 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:17 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:57 pm
CCU wins here. Unless Cincy lost they weren’t going to make the NY6 auto bid. They had more to lose and lost an OL and LB in the Troy game.

ULL already landed in SC...
That is what I'm thinking. Cincy should not drop below CCU unless they lose big time here. A team should not vault up without actually playing a game.
Idk if I see the committee having that kind of mercy on a G5 losing to a G5. Cincy would probably drop behind CC if they lost.

But let's say they lose and don't drop behind CC. Coastal still gets the G5 autobid over Cincy because to qualify you have to be a G5 conference champ, which Cincy wouldn't be. If Cincy still stays in the top 12 (which again, I doubt), then maaaybe they have a chance as an at large but they may be out by 1 or 2 spots.
Coastal is not a conference champion either. The championship game is cancelled
Coastal and UL have been named co-champions so both would be eligible if the committee chose them. This is the same as it would have been when App won the co-championship prior to the CCG being implemented two years ago.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:52 am

Welp, the Sun Belt Championship game still runs through Boone.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:55 am

LaLa was going to take them down.Disappointing.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:58 am

God Forbid we have to cancel our bowl game last minute. I for one will never even consider pulling for Coastal ever again in out of conf or vs other opponents. This sux. Maybe someone will set them both up in a bowl match up and settle it. GEUX UL!

ASUGrad2014

Unread post by ASUGrad2014 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:02 am

I was looking forward to seeing Coastal and LaLa play again. We are going to be in Myrtle and I was seriously considering trying to get tickets and go to the game.

Will be interested to see what happens in the upcoming days... Will Coastal even get to play in a bowl game? 2020 has been crazy for sure.

Appstrong

Unread post by Appstrong » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:10 am

Some idiot on one of the CCU message boards feels CCU should be granted the sole champion and get rings because they already beat ULL in regular season. Chadwell’s entitlement has definitely rubbed off on the fans.

Appstrong

Unread post by Appstrong » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:16 am

Others on the board are trying to say they got it from playing Troy. Um, do they not realize they are in an area within their own state with a “high” incidence of the virus. They definitely live in their own reality down there.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:26 am

Their "chicken" mascot is certainly appropriate. This development may be perfectly legit but it sure seems suspicious with all of the whining Chadwell has done especially in conjunction with the injuries they incurred against Troy.
A new nickname could be the "Dodgers" as in game dodgers..

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:32 am

Our jealousy and envy are really showing up in this thread. For the record, I was all in on UL winning this game as they deserve it given their three run at the title. But, I think a lot of our fans are not happy that Coastal, for the moment, has eclipsed us and is getting the good coverage that we felt we deserved in the past. Give them credit, they won the game on their biggest stage when they beat BYU.

P.S. I do get the Chadwell bashing though.
Last edited by hapapp on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:33 am

Appstrong wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:10 am
Some idiot on one of the CCU message boards feels CCU should be granted the sole champion and get rings because they already beat ULL in regular season. Chadwell’s entitlement has definitely rubbed off on the fans.
This is a legitimate claim- CCU beat ULL head-to-head. We would be claiming the same thing if we were in CCU's situation.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:35 am

Appstrong wrote:
The DumbBelt got this wrong. I agree with the idiot fan. Coastal won that game and their other conference games. Same if the ACC can't play, Notre Dame beat Clemson earlier, Notre Dame should be ACC champs if thy can't play. SEC, Alabama won 10 conference games, Florida lost 2 conference game - Alabama = Champs if they can't play. The Pac12, USC won 5 conference games Oregon is 3-2 in conference games, USC = champs.

ULLLLLLLW lost head to head = runner ups

Coastal has beaten all of their conference schedule. Louisiana hasn't
BLACK SATURDAY

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:36 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:32 am
Our jealousy and envy are really showing up in this thread. For the record, I was all in on UL winning this game as they deserve it given their three run at the title. But, I think a lot of our fans are not happy that Coastal, for the moment, has eclipsed us and is getting the good coverage that we felt we deserved in the past. Give them credit, they won the game on their biggest stage when they beat BYU.

I for one, had no issue with Coastal having the year they've had...they won the tough games. However, trying to get out of playing Troy and the public comments made after that game totally changed my attitude towards them.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:39 am

brianowen wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:33 am
Appstrong wrote:
This is a legitimate claim- CCU beat ULL head-to-head. We would be claiming the same thing if we were in CCU's situation.
As much as I hate to say it, I have to agree. Situations like this year are a flaw in the CCG system. I still think it's the best available system, but if UL had won the CCG, both teams finish with identical records and they traded wins (both winning at the opponent's home field). The idea that one of those wins is more important than the other is flawed in my opinion, but that's how CCGs work. I would have been fine with either team winning, but I do believe UL was the better team at the end of the year and likely would have won in a close game. That's pure conjecture but I'm basing that on the fact that UL was the more "tested" team, and seemed to be trending stronger whereas CCU seems to have peaked a few games back. We will never know but it would have been good to find out on the field.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:42 am

We' be whining if we had beaten UL and Coastal and APP/UL were named Co-Champs. We have sorry conference support leadership.
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:46 am

Rick83 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:36 am
hapapp wrote:

I for one, had no issue with Coastal having the year they've had...they won the tough games. However, trying to get out of playing Troy and the public comments made after that game totally changed my attitude towards them.
Take a moment to look around the country the last month and see how many schools tried successfully to get out of games to avoid ass whippings and etc... Quite a few.
BLACK SATURDAY

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:50 am

I'm curious if Chadwell or any of the Coastal fans are suggesting a postponement (as opposed to cancellation) as Napier did...my guess is no. They probably realize how lucky they've been to win some of their big games this year.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:52 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:46 am
Rick83 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:36 am
hapapp wrote:

Take a moment to look around the country the last month and see how many schools tried successfully to get out of games to avoid ass whippings and etc... Quite a few.
I don't know who they are but I'd have the same negative feelings towards them as well unless it was for legit Covid reasons.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”