Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sun Belt Game Cancelled

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
Longrifle28
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sun Belt Game Cancelled

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:52 am

I agree that Coastal having won all of their conference games (including beating UL) could be considered conference champions....

However, after the whining and sense of entitlement by their coach and his comments after the Troy game, this is very suspect. Sorry, but it's awful hard not to believe that this is their way of teaching everyone a lesson. Going to be interesting to see how they handle the bowl situation. If they are not in the discussion for the NY6, their quarantine/isolation time will probably go beyond our bowl tie ins, unless something else is in the works for some other bowl?

But hey, this season will also have an asterisk beside it anyway. Strange year continues.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:07 am

No, by rule, Coastal does NOT have a right to claim sole ownership of the conference championship. The SBC has two divisions and the championship is decided with a conference championship game. I would feel the same way if we were in the same situation. I understand the reasoning but if that's the case why even have a championship game. I guess they can claim it the same way UCF claimed a national championship. I hate it for them (not really) but it is what it is.
WE ARE YOSEF!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:08 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:43 am
I would say that it isn't considered a forfeit as a matter of public policy. If that were the case, there would be an incentive for teams to hide issues, or not comply with reporting requirements. This is a pandemic, and attempts to "socially distance" during practice of a position group are practically impossible. The measures that teams implement are intended to reduce risk. Eliminating risk is impossible. In a "normal" year, I would see the argument of a forfeit, but not in a pandemic situation.
I get that, but isn't the opposite also true? Couldn't a team lie about positive cases and contact tracing in order to avoid having to play somebody? I know I'm getting a little tin foil hat-y now, but is there a system in place and a body that the teams report this stuff to? Like, does Coastal send a copy of the positive test results to the Sun Belt offices or something? I just haven't seen much about exactly how this stuff is supposed to be handled.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:18 am

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:08 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:43 am
I would say that it isn't considered a forfeit as a matter of public policy. If that were the case, there would be an incentive for teams to hide issues, or not comply with reporting requirements. This is a pandemic, and attempts to "socially distance" during practice of a position group are practically impossible. The measures that teams implement are intended to reduce risk. Eliminating risk is impossible. In a "normal" year, I would see the argument of a forfeit, but not in a pandemic situation.
I get that, but isn't the opposite also true? Couldn't a team lie about positive cases and contact tracing in order to avoid having to play somebody? I know I'm getting a little tin foil hat-y now, but is there a system in place and a body that the teams report this stuff to? Like, does Coastal send a copy of the positive test results to the Sun Belt offices or something? I just haven't seen much about exactly how this stuff is supposed to be handled.
Of course, that COULD be true, but public policy is generally not set with the assumption of fraud or lack of integrity. It is generally set in order to protect the public's best interest which does not include providing incentives for harmful decisions.

I'm not one that believes that Chadwell is intentionally avoiding this game, but I have to admit that the sniff test isn't exactly clean in this one.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:25 am

Y'all have this all wrong... The game was cancelled because it interfered with Chadwell's next interview :lol: :lol: ;)

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:33 am

.Uh....."Why do we have to play that game?" I call BS...........

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:40 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:44 am
postalapp90 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:40 am
citroknight wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:48 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:17 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:57 pm
CCU wins here. Unless Cincy lost they weren’t going to make the NY6 auto bid. They had more to lose and lost an OL and LB in the Troy game.

ULL already landed in SC...
That is what I'm thinking. Cincy should not drop below CCU unless they lose big time here. A team should not vault up without actually playing a game.
Idk if I see the committee having that kind of mercy on a G5 losing to a G5. Cincy would probably drop behind CC if they lost.

But let's say they lose and don't drop behind CC. Coastal still gets the G5 autobid over Cincy because to qualify you have to be a G5 conference champ, which Cincy wouldn't be. If Cincy still stays in the top 12 (which again, I doubt), then maaaybe they have a chance as an at large but they may be out by 1 or 2 spots.
Coastal is not a conference champion either. The championship game is cancelled
Coastal and UL have been named co-champions so both would be eligible if the committee chose them. This is the same as it would have been when App won the co-championship prior to the CCG being implemented two years ago.
That assumes the comittee views this the same way. For instance if the Cincy Tulsa game gets cancelled and the AAC decides not to make this co champion statement do you really think Cincy is not getting the NY6 bowl.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:56 am

Since we play there Monday, I hope the locker rooms are sanitized.

Appstrong

Unread post by Appstrong » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:10 am

My comments have not been rooted in jealously or envy. I don’t like it when people feel they need to “claim” something. I’m all for awards or recognition, but I won’t ask for it, nor do I like whining about things similar to what Coastal has been whining about. I appreciate coaches that teach perseverance, and I do believe fans can work against a coach by planting seeds of excuses if the players are able to catch wind of them. Yes APP has fans that whine too. I will not attack my APP brethren for it, but CCU fans are fair game :D

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:42 am

The game was cancelled due to contact tracing of a position coach, not players. That is a bar I bet other SBC schools haven't following to the letter this year.

CFB playoff committee is recognizing CCU as the conference champion under the circumstances, makes sense.

CCU still has an outside chance as an at-large NY6 candidate even if Cincy wins), but this doesn't help those chances. If ND and Clemson make the playoffs, the ACC #3 win jump them even though they are 12th in the CFP standings.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:13 pm

citroknight wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
CCU wins here. Unless Cincy lost they weren’t going to make the NY6 auto bid. They had more to lose and lost an OL and LB in the Troy game.

That is what I'm thinking. Cincy should not drop below CCU unless they lose big time here. A team should not vault up without actually playing a game.
Idk if I see the committee having that kind of mercy on a G5 losing to a G5. Cincy would probably drop behind CC if they lost.

But let's say they lose and don't drop behind CC. Coastal still gets the G5 autobid over Cincy because to qualify you have to be a G5 conference champ, which Cincy wouldn't be. If Cincy still stays in the top 12 (which again, I doubt), then maaaybe they have a chance as an at large but they may be out by 1 or 2 spots.
I agree but I'm just saying a team should not move up if they don't play. If we were in that situation then I would say completely fair for Cincy to say we should not move up. I'm just saying that teams should not be rewarded for not playing. CCU had a great year and we are getting robbed of a great game for sure.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:14 pm

Can we as a conference come together and vote to change Coastal’s mascot from Chanticleer to Chicken $h!t ?

GO APPS!!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:42 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:32 am
Our jealousy and envy are really showing up in this thread. For the record, I was all in on UL winning this game as they deserve it given their three run at the title. But, I think a lot of our fans are not happy that Coastal, for the moment, has eclipsed us and is getting the good coverage that we felt we deserved in the past. Give them credit, they won the game on their biggest stage when they beat BYU.

P.S. I do get the Chadwell bashing though.
Facts. We ought to rename this the sour grapes thread.

If we had closed the deal versus Coastal and LaLa, we’d all be celebrating in Boone this weekend. But we didn’t and they did. Good on em.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:58 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:42 pm
hapapp wrote:
Our jealousy and envy are really showing up in this thread. For the record, I was all in on UL winning this game as they deserve it given their three run at the title. But, I think a lot of our fans are not happy that Coastal, for the moment, has eclipsed us and is getting the good coverage that we felt we deserved in the past. Give them credit, they won the game on their biggest stage when they beat BYU.

If we had closed the deal versus Coastal and LaLa, we’d all be celebrating in Boone this weekend. But we didn’t and they did. Good on em.
I think there is some of that but people feel Chadwell has done a lot of whining in the press and that is fueling the replies as much as anything. We had way more injuries than CCU has had but Shawn Clark did not make those comments prior to the game like Chadwell did. We just showed up and played.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:27 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:58 pm
ah59396 wrote:
hapapp wrote:

I think there is some of that but people feel Chadwell has done a lot of whining in the press and that is fueling the replies as much as anything. We had way more injuries than CCU has had but Shawn Clark did not make those comments prior to the game like Chadwell did. We just showed up and played.
Sounds to me like a bunch of folks kidding around on a friday afternoon at Coastal's expense.

And, I say Coastal sounds scairdt. That's all.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:34 pm

Appstrong wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:16 am
Others on the board are trying to say they got it from playing Troy. Um, do they not realize they are in an area within their own state with a “high” incidence of the virus. They definitely live in their own reality down there.
Very few people in the stands for the BYU game were wearing masks and these are the same people who rushed the field. Not surprised at all that someone on Coastal's staff or team is positive for Covid-19. Even being fairly careful people I know are getting it and those knuckle heads weren't even close to careful. Glad to see our fans, for the most part, wearing masks when on camera for our games. Personally I think ULL was going to kick their ass and I think the Beach Chickens all know that was a very real possibility. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they bagged a game they could have played to stay unbeaten. I am sure many in our conference will feel the same way, which speaks volumes about how their program is viewed. Hats off to them for what they achieved this year but let's see them consistently repeat that performance when no one is taking them lightly and no one can stand them.
Last edited by mikeyosef on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:37 pm

With both teams probably losing their coaches this season, in theory that is, and disliking one another as expected due to the current situation, I see this working for our benefit come next season.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:50 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:27 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:58 pm
ah59396 wrote:
hapapp wrote:

Sounds to me like a bunch of folks kidding around on a friday afternoon at Coastal's expense.

And, I say Coastal sounds scairdt. That's all.
That could very well be it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:00 pm

mikeyosef wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:34 pm
Appstrong wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:16 am
Others on the board are trying to say they got it from playing Troy. Um, do they not realize they are in an area within their own state with a “high” incidence of the virus. They definitely live in their own reality down there.
Very few people in the stands for the BYU game were wearing masks and these are the same people who rushed the field. Not surprised at all that someone on Coastal's staff or team is positive for Covid-19. Even being fairly careful people I know are getting it and those knuckle heads weren't even close to careful. Glad to see our fans, for the most part, wearing masks when on camera for our games. Personally I think ULL was going to kick their ass and I think the Beach Chickens all know that was a very real possibility. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they bagged a game they could have played to stay unbeaten. I am sure many in our conference will feel the same way, which speaks volumes about how their program is viewed. Hats off to them for what they achieved this year but let's see them consistently repeat that performance when no one is taking them lightly and no one can stand them.
They definitely had a lot of people in the stands and when you rush the field that takes away from distancing and masks are pointless either way when that close.

I wonder what position group they had knocked out and how many from it? A couple coaches being down is not a huge deal for one game. They could have possibly moved some players since many played both sides in HS. I know it is not ideal but I have seen players flip to the other side of the ball before during a season. We did that with Anderson Castle because of how depleted we were at RB.

NDavidsonApp

Unread post by NDavidsonApp » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:06 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:13 pm
citroknight wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

I agree but I'm just saying a team should not move up if they don't play. If we were in that situation then I would say completely fair for Cincy to say we should not move up. I'm just saying that teams should not be rewarded for not playing. CCU had a great year and we are getting robbed of a great game for sure.
The important thing to remember is that the highest ranked G5 champion makes it into the NY6. If Cincinnati loses on Saturday, they will not be the champion of the AAC and I don't see Tulsa jumping Coastal.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”