Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sun Belt Men's Soccer

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sun Belt Men's Soccer

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:37 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:20 am
hapapp wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:57 am
I believe in the three states on NC, SC, and VA only App, Western, Norfolk State, Hampton, NC Central and NC A&T among D1 programs don't offer men's soccer. Somehow these other D1 schools can manage to provide men's soccer.
VA schools are different based on how the state funds the athletic programs.

Looking at a few schools in NC and SC, the main difference I see is they all have two or more women's programs than men's programs. App now has the same because of Title IX. We were in compliance before cutting the men's sports, but this gives more money to fully fund the other programs. For the first time ever, Yosef Club is going to fully fund scholarships this year. It's not a coincidence it happens after cutting sports.

Is it a shame we had to cut men's soccer? Absolutely! But, from a strictly business standpoint (and let's be honest, college athletics is a business), it's what made the most sense to remain Title IX compliant and be able to fully fund everything else.
Madison cut a bunch of sports but Men’s soccer wasn’t one of them. I understand the logic behind the decision and at the time most SBC schools didn’t sponsor the sport.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:50 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:51 am
You have to add in Title IX stuff as well. In order to bring back men's soccer, we would have to start a new women's program. That is not cheap. The only women's program I can think of we could "cheaply" add is lacrosse as they could share the soccer and/or field hockey fields (assuming they are right dimensions -- I don't know anything about lacrosse). Adding in swimming and diving could be fairly inexpensive as well assuming the pool at SRC is to size.

I do think $10 mil is a high number, but when you add in the other stuff, it's not THAT outrageous.
I’m asking this out of pure ignorance to Title IX…. Why would we also have to add a womens program, when no womens programs were cut out to begin with, while three mens programs were ditched at the same time?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:00 pm

booneboy92 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:50 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
You have to add in Title IX stuff as well. In order to bring back men's soccer, we would have to start a new women's program. That is not cheap. The only women's program I can think of we could "cheaply" add is lacrosse as they could share the soccer and/or field hockey fields (assuming they are right dimensions -- I don't know anything about lacrosse). Adding in swimming and diving could be fairly inexpensive as well assuming the pool at SRC is to size.

I do think $10 mil is a high number, but when you add in the other stuff, it's not THAT outrageous.
I’m asking this out of pure ignorance to Title IX…. Why would we also have to add a womens program, when no womens programs were cut out to begin with, while three mens programs were ditched at the same time?
In order to give the same amount of scholarships to the other sports. Previously, since we weren't fully funding scholarships through Yosef Club, not every sport got the max amount of scholarships because of Title IX. We cut the mens sports and now every sport can get the NCAA allowable max for their respective sport. If we add men's sports back, we either have to take scholarships away from other sports, add a women's sport as well with equal amount of scholarships, or raise a lot more money.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:05 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:00 pm
booneboy92 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:50 pm
AppStateNews wrote:

In order to give the same amount of scholarships to the other sports. Previously, since we weren't fully funding scholarships through Yosef Club, not every sport got the max amount of scholarships because of Title IX. We cut the mens sports and now every sport can get the NCAA allowable max for their respective sport. If we add men's sports back, we either have to take scholarships away from other sports, add a women's sport as well with equal amount of scholarships, or raise a lot more money.
Gotcha, thanks!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:47 pm

When App moved to FBS and added 20ish men's scholarships, there wasn't a women's sport added. Cobb even admitted that those scholarships had to come from other men's sports.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:33 am

Is fielding certain teams a requirement of membership?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”