Championship Game

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
BUTCH1991
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Point
Has thanked: 1451 times
Been thanked: 799 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:46 pm

We ended Coastal's season when we hurt McCall. We are the only team to beat Troy. Shouldn't we be named champs? 😅

bcoach
Posts: 4327
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1269 times
Been thanked: 1389 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:53 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:10 pm
Troy is doing well because they did not get beat up by East like all the teams in East have. App would be in the championship game if they were in the Sun Belt West. Troy just needed to get out of the Sun Belt East to be competitive.
Who is better than them in the east. Highly doubt we would win the west when one of them beat us.

Mjohn1988
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 292 times
Been thanked: 1299 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:56 pm

Longrifle28 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:30 pm
Troy playing physical and executing well.

Let's see if they have a letdown in the second half.

Imagine game planning against an opponents weakness.
Yeah, that last part, imagine.

huskie3
Posts: 4504
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2000 9:57 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Gaston County
Has thanked: 620 times
Been thanked: 603 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by huskie3 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:04 pm

Interception! Troy able to hang on.
Bring Your A Game!

ApexASU
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:27 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Apex, NC
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by ApexASU » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:22 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:20 pm
Announcers suggested that Troy be considered for the NY6. Wow that would really sting for us.
You can strike App from this conversation as it is a coulda/shoulda season that didn't work out. If Troy deservingly goes to NY6, it is good for the SunBelt.

Mjohn1988
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 292 times
Been thanked: 1299 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:44 pm

ApexASU wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:22 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:20 pm
Announcers suggested that Troy be considered for the NY6. Wow that would really sting for us.
You can strike App from this conversation as it is a coulda/shoulda season that didn't work out. If Troy deservingly goes to NY6, it is good for the SunBelt.
Don’t see that happening but I would have no problem being happy for Troy.

yosef69
Posts: 1967
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 1136 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:45 pm

Good for Troy, sumrall is the real deal.

Chodewell better sign that liberty contract stat.

Mjohn1988
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 292 times
Been thanked: 1299 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:48 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:10 pm
Troy is doing well because they did not get beat up by East like all the teams in East have. App would be in the championship game if they were in the Sun Belt West. Troy just needed to get out of the Sun Belt East to be competitive.
Troy gave us literally all we could handle and they just beat the crap out of the east champion. I think Troy just might have found a coach. Looks like a good team to me.

AppSt91
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 571 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by AppSt91 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:17 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:58 pm
AppSt91 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:58 pm
I don’t know how we ever beat Troy. They look and play like a championship team. Just shows how far we have fallen over the past 3 years.
We played pretty good ball the first few weeks and regressed as the season went on. Looks like Troy has gotten better as the season progressed. Coastal has imploded, which takes some sting off our performance. Only got smoked once, Coastal on way to back to back shalackings.
Yeah, getting better as the year progresses is a sign of solid coaching. That’s something we don’t seem to have currently.

AppStFan1
Posts: 5654
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 578 times
Been thanked: 1410 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:09 pm

postalapp90 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:38 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:28 pm
postalapp90 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:18 pm
A lame duck tipped hail mary pass likely kept Troy from the NY6 game
I don't think we could assume that. If Tulane wins today their resume is better. If it was really close the committee would have had Troy ranked 23-25 already. Tulane had the loss to USM but they will have gotten revenge on their loss to UCF and have 2 top 25 wins. Troy would have a loss to a .500 App team and unranked Ole Miss team.
Troy would be on a 12 game win streak with an opening day loss at ranked Mississippi. They wouldn't have a loss to .500 appalachian state so I feel sure they would be ranked higher than Tulane
My bad on the last sentence. You are talking about if we had lost to them. Remember that the committee views the AAC as a little stronger, which they are until those 3 teams leave.

I would not say this if Troy was already ranked and South Alabama was in the 26-28 range of the polls and CFP's top team not ranked heading into this weekend but that is not the case. You could make a strong case for South Alabama to be ranked with a 10-2 record and only losses are 1 point to top 15 UCLA and 4 points to SBC Champion and likely top 25 this week Troy. If they viewed our league as equal or better than the AAC then Troy would be 19-21 and South Alabama would be 23-25 in the CFP this week.

WASU 93
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 870 times
Been thanked: 990 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:42 am

AppSt91 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:17 pm
Yosefus wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:58 pm
AppSt91 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:58 pm
I don’t know how we ever beat Troy. They look and play like a championship team. Just shows how far we have fallen over the past 3 years.
We played pretty good ball the first few weeks and regressed as the season went on. Looks like Troy has gotten better as the season progressed. Coastal has imploded, which takes some sting off our performance. Only got smoked once, Coastal on way to back to back shalackings.
Yeah, getting better as the year progresses is a sign of solid coaching. That’s something we don’t seem to have currently.
You could say the same thing about Coastal and Chadwell seems to have no issue finding his next job.

appfanjj
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1170 times
Been thanked: 413 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by appfanjj » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:28 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:20 pm
Announcers suggested that Troy be considered for the NY6. Wow that would really sting for us.
Yes but it would be awesome for the Sun Belt.

bcoach
Posts: 4327
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1269 times
Been thanked: 1389 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:33 am

Just my humble opinion. We have moaned and groaned and gnashed our teeth. We have given our uneducated opinions and screamed to the high hills that SC should be run out of town without a suitcase. I feel like we should have it out of our systems and turn to the positive. SC is making changes. It's time to start talking like this is the place recruits want to be. It's time to be cheerleaders for the program. The sky is for a fact not falling. There is no better place to play than APP STATE. There is no better place to be a fan than APP STATE. This is where we support our program and our people. I for one am going to let them know I stand behind them not in front of them. It's time.

appfanjj
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1170 times
Been thanked: 413 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by appfanjj » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:02 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:33 am
Just my humble opinion. We have moaned and groaned and gnashed our teeth. We have given our uneducated opinions and screamed to the high hills that SC should be run out of town without a suitcase. I feel like we should have it out of our systems and turn to the positive. SC is making changes. It's time to start talking like this is the place recruits want to all be. It's time to be cheerleaders for the program. The sky is for a fact not falling. There is no better place to play than APP STATE. There is no better place to be a fan than APP STATE. This is where we support our program and our people. I for one am going to let them know I stand behind them not in front of them. It's time.
All of the bitching, moaning, groaning, complaining, and gnashing of teeth (of which I am guilty) only goes to prove how deeply we care about our football program. We have a great thing going. Put the past behind us. Learn and grow from it. There is a bright future ahead. Get on board.
🖤💛

BambooRdApp
Posts: 4353
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1557 times
Been thanked: 2908 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:59 pm

CCU gets EasyU in their bowl....may be the first time I have ever pulled for EasyU...the hate for EasyU is real too!!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

User avatar
ah59396
Posts: 2009
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:28 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1288 times
Been thanked: 1646 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:00 pm

Seeing all the Bowl bids happen and knowing we aren’t a part of it is way more depressing than I expected. Never wanted to play Toledo in Montgomery again so badly.
YNWA

User avatar
AppDub
Posts: 1148
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:52 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1220 times
Been thanked: 515 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by AppDub » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:23 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:00 pm
Seeing all the Bowl bids happen and knowing we aren’t a part of it is way more depressing than I expected. Never wanted to play Toledo in Montgomery again so badly.
Totally agree. Maybe the team and coaches come back next year knowing what it feels like to miss a bowl and never wanting to experience it again. We will be stronger for it.

Stonewall
Posts: 5617
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2834 times
Been thanked: 2800 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:32 pm

After watching a lengthy interview with their new coach I picked Troy to win the west.The guy really impressed me and LaLa lost too much personnel.I didn't see USA rising so fast though.Anyway I had hoped we would be able to handle them in a cold , snowy Boone title game...

spacemonkey
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 126 times
Been thanked: 509 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:09 am

Troy was my preseason west pick as well. I also knew JMU was going to be a tough team to beat. They have been scaring P5 teams for years with buy games as an FCS team.

The Sunbelt is going to be a lot of fun and when we do win it again we will have accomplished a great goal and a sunbelt title will be even sweeter. Maybe carry a playoff spot with it.

It will be fun to watch G5 teams get a shot at the 5th seed each year.

spacemonkey
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 126 times
Been thanked: 509 times

Re: Championship Game

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:17 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:09 pm
postalapp90 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:38 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:28 pm
postalapp90 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:18 pm
A lame duck tipped hail mary pass likely kept Troy from the NY6 game
I don't think we could assume that. If Tulane wins today their resume is better. If it was really close the committee would have had Troy ranked 23-25 already. Tulane had the loss to USM but they will have gotten revenge on their loss to UCF and have 2 top 25 wins. Troy would have a loss to a .500 App team and unranked Ole Miss team.
Troy would be on a 12 game win streak with an opening day loss at ranked Mississippi. They wouldn't have a loss to .500 appalachian state so I feel sure they would be ranked higher than Tulane
My bad on the last sentence. You are talking about if we had lost to them. Remember that the committee views the AAC as a little stronger, which they are until those 3 teams leave.

I would not say this if Troy was already ranked and South Alabama was in the 26-28 range of the polls and CFP's top team not ranked heading into this weekend but that is not the case. You could make a strong case for South Alabama to be ranked with a 10-2 record and only losses are 1 point to top 15 UCLA and 4 points to SBC Champion and likely top 25 this week Troy. If they viewed our league as equal or better than the AAC then Troy would be 19-21 and South Alabama would be 23-25 in the CFP this week.
It would be hard to keep Tulane out with the win against the Big12 champ @ Kansas St. That is an impressive win.

Tulane deserves it this year but I think the AAC is about to have a hard time with strength of schedule. The new g5 is going to be a dog fight. Unfortunately with the money (NIL) and the things Liberty is going to be willing (AKA Louisville) to do, they will be tough to out rank.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”