Basketball is here!

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
DomCrosetto
School: Appalachian State

Basketball is here!

Unread post by DomCrosetto » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:19 am

Sun Belt basketball starts up today! (App the only team not going). Can the Cajuns repeat? Does Southern Miss take the regular season again? Who surprises?!?

I know we all want to see App really claim the top spot but it won't be easy. However, a lot of teams lost quite a bit of talent while App returns all of theirs. Will it be enough to bring a championship to Boone?

What are everyone's thoughts, on not just App, but others within the conference?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YyIt9vQztsY
Check out the Sun Belt Syndicate podcast! Streaming audio everywhere & live video once a week.

MrCraig

Re: Basketball is here!

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:36 am

I'm always apprehensive when one of my teams gets all the pre-season hype simply because the hype rarely translates into reality. However, after what, to me, was a bit of disappointing season last year, I'm just looking forward to watching a good basketball team. A solid, winning record and a deep conference tourney run would be fine by me. Obviously, a conference championship and more than one game in the big dance would be amazing icing on the cake.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:00 pm

Is there a basketball schedule with tv listings with it???

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:03 pm

https://appstatesports.com/sports/mens- ... le/2023-24

This has the first two, but nothing after that.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:04 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:00 pm
I just use ESPN app. Tomorrow night is on the ESPN+
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

DomCrosetto

Unread post by DomCrosetto » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:21 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:00 pm
As BambooRdApp has said, ESPN is likely the best. At some point the conference website usually does a good job but they are always slow with this type of information to start the season.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... _/group/27
Check out the Sun Belt Syndicate podcast! Streaming audio everywhere & live video once a week.

DomCrosetto

Unread post by DomCrosetto » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:29 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:36 am
I'm always apprehensive when one of my teams gets all the pre-season hype simply because the hype rarely translates into reality. However, after what, to me, was a bit of disappointing season last year, I'm just looking forward to watching a good basketball team. A solid, winning record and a deep conference tourney run would be fine by me. Obviously, a conference championship and more than one game in the big dance would be amazing icing on the cake.
I think a lot of outlets are seeing all the returning starters and getting really excited about that. As we know, that doesn't always translate BUT we do know that there is a lot of talent there. I'm hopeful but like you said, a big run would be a welcomed surprise. This team is capable of winning the conference but it ain't gonna be easy!

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:34 pm

We are who we are

DomCrosetto

Unread post by DomCrosetto » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:58 pm

asumba95 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:34 pm
We are who we are
And, is that good enough to take the conference this season? Put a percentage on it?

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:21 pm

We have got to take better shots and we have to make a much higher % of foul shots than last year.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:50 pm

We need to burn the hedges of many small villages

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:20 pm

Huge win for James Madison/JMU and the SUNBELT over number 4 Michigan State.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:28 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:20 pm
Huge win for James Madison/JMU and the SUNBELT over number 4 Michigan State.
win the portal, win big time games

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:33 pm

Great game from JMU. They came out ready, while Michigan State, per traditional Izzo teams, take a month or two to find their identity. Definitely didn't look like the number 4 team in the country, and not just because they lost. Yet another example of preseason ranks being a joke.

Almost 60% of JMU points came from transfer players. The college basketball game has definitely changed. You'll see more close games and upsets this year across the nation just like last year.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:51 pm

JMU is having one hell of a run right now. Good for them.
YNWA

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:41 am

JMU overcame a huge foul discrepancy and made some clutch 3’s late. The Dukes had 2 players with 4 fouls and 3 with 3 just minutes into the second half. Led most of the game and I think never got down by more than 4. Despite the fouls, JMU played solid D and either got lucky or held MSU to 1-20 from 3.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:31 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:33 pm
Great game from JMU. They came out ready, while Michigan State, per traditional Izzo teams, take a month or two to find their identity. Definitely didn't look like the number 4 team in the country, and not just because they lost. Yet another example of preseason ranks being a joke.

Almost 60% of JMU points came from transfer players. The college basketball game has definitely changed. You'll see more close games and upsets this year across the nation just like last year.
Personally, I love what the transfer portal has done to college basketball. We all get to see more talent spread across more teams. Instead of a really good 4 star riding the bench at Carolina or Kansas behind 3-4 NBA players, we get to see those guys play every night at places like JMU, App, or even non-traditional basketball schools like Georgia, Colorado, etc. It brings parity in a way that I don't think can be replicated in other sports.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:36 am

JMU's win will be good for their strength of schedule for an At -Large bid when they finish behind App. St. in regular season and the conference tournament. Let's Go App. St.!! Tonight we begin the Men's Basketball journey for 23-24.

Ladies took care of business last night.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:58 am

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:31 am

Personally, I love what the transfer portal has done to college basketball. We all get to see more talent spread across more teams. Instead of a really good 4 star riding the bench at Carolina or Kansas behind 3-4 NBA players, we get to see those guys play every night at places like JMU, App, or even non-traditional basketball schools like Georgia, Colorado, etc. It brings parity in a way that I don't think can be replicated in other sports.
100% agree. The portal has been great for basketball. Sure it makes it tougher on the coaches but it's not about the coaches. It's about giving the players a good experience and rotting on a bench is not what most consider a good experience when they know they could be starting elsewhere.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:07 am

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:31 am

I love it as well. The only draw back is when it impacts the team you support and a player with promise decides to leave just as you started to like their play.

I'll gladly take more madness in March with all kinds of bracket busters, rather than seeing the same 1 or 2 seeds make the final four each year.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”