Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

JMU says NO!!??

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
hapapp
School: Appalachian State

JMU says NO!!??

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:36 pm

Saint3333

Re: JMU says NO!!??

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:00 pm

I feel sorry for their fans. They already have to watch ODU steal their recruits.

I hope the SBC stands at 11 now.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:06 pm

I can't discern any difference between this unsubstantiated message board post and countless others I've read over the years that turned out to be total BS, but everyone over on the Sun Belt board seems to be convinced.

Very unfortunate for pretty much everyone but the FCS if it's true. Short-sighted leadership. Why approve the construction of that stadium to stay FCS?

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:41 am

Gonzo wrote:Short-sighted leadership. Why approve the construction of that stadium to stay FCS?
Perhaps this is why they built just half of a stadium.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:54 am

This same poster's "sources" had App getting the CUSA invite over ODU in 2010.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-479353-post-62 ... pid6221979

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 am

That sounds like our old friend from the Delphi Forum, AppMan, Doug.
a.k.a JC0429

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:16 am

The source is usually correct. We'll see. I will say that I never expected JMU to accept the SunBelt unless we offer them football only and they have no other options.Their administration never seemed to be very interested in the SunBelt Conference.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47 am

Cincy App wrote:The source is usually correct. We'll see. I will say that I never expected JMU to accept the SunBelt unless we offer them football only and they have no other options.Their administration never seemed to be very interested in the SunBelt Conference.
According to DG, their admin is not interested in FBS football.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:14 am

From the JMU board:

This was at the end of a long email from Pres. Alger to JMU employees titled "Spring Update" ...

Conference Affiliation Discussions: The topic of athletics conference membership continues to be on the minds of many of our constituents. As we plot our course through a constantly shifting landscape, we remain committed to thoughtful and open communication.

We are well aware of the changing scene within our conference as well as nationally. In response, we have engaged in a rigorous analysis of our athletic profile within the context of our strategic planning process. This process, resulting in The Madison Plan, confirmed our institutional core values: Academic Quality, Community, Diversity, Excellence, Integrity and Student Focus. Further, we determined that any new conference membership opportunity must align with the following guiding principles and criteria: academic profile and fit, university culture, student and student-athlete welfare, financial impact and sustainability, competitive balance, and geographic footprint. Feedback received from the JMU community and its many constituencies through extensive and thoughtful dialogue supports these values and principles, and we will use them as criteria for all future decisions, including those involving athletics.

Consistent with these values and principles and the ongoing issue of conference alignment, JMU will not pursue or accept an invitation from a conference that does not meet our criteria. If we do receive an offer consistent with our established values, we are prepared to review it and make a recommendation to the Board of Visitors. This process is ongoing and will require continued support on the part of the university, students, faculty, staff, coaches, alumni, and fans.

In the meantime, we are enjoying the close of our spring sports season and looking forward to an exciting new year in 2014-15 across our entire athletics program.

As you can tell, it has been an eventful year at JMU. JMU is clearly on the move, and we are excited about the future as we continue to dream big together. Thank you all for being part of the JMU community!

Jon Alger

President
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think JMU is turning its back on FBS football, they are simply saying no to the SBC. I'm not surprised by the decision. They would be on a pretty remote island in the SBC. Madison's student body is for the most part from Northern Virginia northward. I just don't think they see the geography working for them. Outside of App State, I don't think they see peer institutions in the SBC either. I really don't think this is a "snobbish" move but one their administration sees as not being the best fit. I do believe, however, you have to get on the train first before you can get where you want to go. I hope for their sake, they haven't cast their lot to wandering for a place to go. They are taking a gamble, they will look good if something opens up for them soon.

This obviously isn't being well received by the JMU faithful, many of whom are pledging to cut back their athletic donations.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:22 am

They only have one FBS option. CUSA has 14 members and would need to lose 3 begin bringing in a new member. The MAC is finally down to 12 and isn't expanding any time soon.

JMU has turned down the FBS for a minimum of one year, perhaps more.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:29 am

Just to follow up a little, AppMan told me all the details of his conversations, and I can will confirm that this is not just some internet rumor going round. This came from multiple sources on both sides. The only way you'll ever get official confirmation of this vote is when the Sun Belt announces a new member not named JMU. The Belt wants a conference championship game, and UMass would allow them to do that starting in 2015. Adding NMSU in all sports is needed to appease the western schools, and to even out scheduling for Olympic sports.

I personally believe UMass and Idaho will only be around for a few years until two all sport adds can be made. Mo. State is still one of the top targets for the Belt, but they need a few years to build their program. EKU is working to build their program up, and there are a few others that may be willing to move in a few years. Benson is trying to satisfy the western schools that are long time members while also trying to find a school to help those of us in the east. To me all of this points to Mo. State and EKU being added in a few years, and Idaho and UMass moving on.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:32 am

hard to rip JMU for not making the move, this is exactly what we did 3 years ago, the only difference is when we realized USA had screwed us, the SBC took pity on our sorry asses and threw us a life line. Make no mistake, we were dam lucky, we could easily be still in the SC wondering what our future, if any we have in the FBS. I agree 100% that JMU is taking a big, big risk waiting for a invitation from USA/MAC that might never come, or it looks like at the very least, is 3-5 years away. I guess we will find out late May early June if its true they turned down the SBC.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:32 am

Gonzo wrote:This same poster's "sources" had App getting the CUSA invite over ODU in 2010.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-479353-post-62 ... pid6221979
That came straight from the people running our Athletic Department. They were telling people we had the CUSA invite when in fact we didn't.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 am

JTApps1 wrote:Just to follow up a little, AppMan told me all the details of his conversations, and I can will confirm that this is not just some internet rumor going round. This came from multiple sources on both sides. The only way you'll ever get official confirmation of this vote is when the Sun Belt announces a new member not named JMU. The Belt wants a conference championship game, and UMass would allow them to do that starting in 2015. Adding NMSU in all sports is needed to appease the western schools, and to even out scheduling for Olympic sports.

I personally believe UMass and Idaho will only be around for a few years until two all sport adds can be made. Mo. State is still one of the top targets for the Belt, but they need a few years to build their program. EKU is working to build their program up, and there are a few others that may be willing to move in a few years. Benson is trying to satisfy the western schools that are long time members while also trying to find a school to help those of us in the east. To me all of this points to Mo. State and EKU being added in a few years, and Idaho and UMass moving on.
If the ACC's CCG proposal is approved, why would the SBC add UMass? I don't see how that benefits the eastern schools at all.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:30 am

ASUMountaineer wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:Just to follow up a little, AppMan told me all the details of his conversations, and I can will confirm that this is not just some internet rumor going round. This came from multiple sources on both sides. The only way you'll ever get official confirmation of this vote is when the Sun Belt announces a new member not named JMU. The Belt wants a conference championship game, and UMass would allow them to do that starting in 2015. Adding NMSU in all sports is needed to appease the western schools, and to even out scheduling for Olympic sports.

If the ACC's CCG proposal is approved, why would the SBC add UMass? I don't see how that benefits the eastern schools at all.
I agree, adding UMass wouldn't seem to help us and we would be the closest school to them. If we can wait for the right target, I say do so.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:49 am

It seems DG's info has been validated, at least as it pertains to JMU:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/b ... 27984.post
It’s no secret the Sun Belt Conference is actively looking at membership expansion, but one school – James Madison University – has removed itself from contention according to the league’s commissioner.

“It appears they made a decision to stay FCS,” Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson said Tuesday during a stop in Orlando for the announcement of the creation of the Cure Bowl. “We never offered an invitation and we never extended an invitation either formal or informal.

“They were under consideration,” he added.

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:34 pm

I can understand JMU wanting to be in a conference with similar institutions (geographic, academic, athletic, etc). The Sun Belt is not that conference and JMU perceives that the MAC/CUSA is one of those conferences. However they also have to be cognizant of their current neighborhood. As the CAA changes they are moving farther and farther away from who JMU is as well. Eventually they will have to decide that they need to move because the CAA has changed so much. The risk they are taking is there will be somewhere to move when the need arises. It is a gamble at best.

This is really no different than App. App wanted CUSA, and possibly MAC well ahead of the Sun Belt. However the rapid changing of the SoCon caused App to realize that a not perfect choice in the Sun Belt was better than staying in the SoCon.

I think that JMU's hand will be forced much quicker than they like. If they stay they risk potentially becoming much more irrelevant as the rest of college athletics moves away from them.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:52 pm

Random thought that I'm sure has some obvious answer for why it couldn't work: Would the Sun Belt ever consider inviting North Dakota St.?

Sure it makes no geographic sense, but it's pretty clear that's a low priority in this whole process anyway. So rather than jettisoning Idaho in a couple years, just commit to adding a true Western contingent, and gain a program that would instantly be among the league's best in both football and basketball. Purely in terms of the quality of revenue-sport athletics, they would be a far better addition than any of the schools that have been rumored, including JMU.

I'm guessing a stumbling block would be the need to either somehow add seating (to an indoor stadium) or build new. But given how fast that program has grown, surely they must be considering a possible move up to FBS anyway... right?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:53 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:

That is a big IF though. The current rule states you must have 12 so that's all we can go on. I'm sure there will be a clause to any contract with UMass giving the Belt a way out. As stated above, UMass would only be a temporary fix anyway.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:08 pm

I really don't think it's that big of an if. The ACC and Big 12 are pushing this HARD with little opposition.

Stay at 11, wait until another eastern member not named Liberty is ready and willing, then drop Idaho, add NMSU, Mo. St. in the west and TBD in the east. 2016 sounds about right.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”