Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

JMU says NO!!??

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: JMU says NO!!??

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Sorry - what is the ACC's CCG proposal?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:39 pm

That you don't have to have divisions or 12 members to hold a championship game.

ASUPATCH
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:14 pm

T-Dog wrote:That you don't have to have divisions or 12 members to hold a championship game.
At this point it is about our best option with who is left. Then cut ties with Idaho and have a strong 10 rather than a watered down 12.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Saint3333 wrote:I really don't think it's that big of an if. The ACC and Big 12 are pushing this HARD with little opposition.

Stay at 11, wait until another eastern member not named Liberty is ready and willing, then drop Idaho, add NMSU, Mo. St. in the west and TBD in the east. 2016 sounds about right.

I can live with that.

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:44 pm

I don't have a problem with Idaho and UMass in the conference for a short time in football only. It balances the league with 12 teams and guarantees we can have a conference championship game. I would also be fine with Liberty but I don't think the Flames will get enough votes. I do think they would get ASU's vote though.

I do agree that the SunBelt's ultimate goal is to give time for schools such as EKU and Missouri St to strengthen their programs and eventually join the league. Both of those schools would get the votes for full membership when ready. I also would support NMSU for all sports even though it's a travel issue for our Olympic sports.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:59 am

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/04/sun-bel ... remain-caa

Interesting read from the Hampton Roads paper. Mostly the same things as the Orlando article with a couple of notable exceptions. Should advance the story a bit.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:16 am

Saint3333 wrote:I really don't think it's that big of an if. The ACC and Big 12 are pushing this HARD with little opposition.

Stay at 11, wait until another eastern member not named Liberty is ready and willing, then drop Idaho, add NMSU, Mo. St. in the west and TBD in the east. 2016 sounds about right.
I'm not saying that I want UMass, but it sounds like that is the next move Benson is working on.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:26 am

firemoose wrote:http://hamptonroads.com/2014/04/sun-bel ... remain-caa

Interesting read from the Hampton Roads paper. Mostly the same things as the Orlando article with a couple of notable exceptions. Should advance the story a bit.
Bourne is in full damage control mode! It's to make people believe you didn't have an offer when the Commissioner says JMU chose not to pursue FBS.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 am

Some are surprised Benson threw JMU's AD under the bus, but here is pretty funny analogy from the JMU board:

Benson's like the average experienced guy at the bar that's played the game for a long enough he knows he's a decent enough catch with what he's got compared to a lot of losers out there and that there are still plenty of chicks around that will eventually get just because they have no other decent options.

He's not worried about it because he's had his day with some pretty hot stuff like BYU, Utah, etc back when he was younger, had has times with decent 7's who had their fun and moved on, and he still got some 5's and 6's that can doll them selfs up ok and couple little fatties that have potential if they hit the gym hard.

All he's looking for a couple more 5's to fill out his current rotation and JMU is like the chubby 5 who thinks she's a 9. When you blew him off he probably just laughed and thought enjoy being alone and worked his way on down the bar to Liberty who's going to give it to him about the same anyway. People talk. It's like having a laugh with your boys, like who the hell did she think she was. You keep passing it up and eventually no ones's going to ask or want it as the new hotter things come on to the scene.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:47 am

JTApps1 wrote:
firemoose wrote:http://hamptonroads.com/2014/04/sun-bel ... remain-caa

Bourne is in full damage control mode! It's to make people believe you didn't have an offer when the Commissioner says JMU chose not to pursue FBS.
Yeah. A lot of the fan base and some in the know on campus understand the ramifications. Sometimes you have to dance with the "not so pretty" girl for a little while, especially when the "pretty" girls say sorry, our card is full. It's even worse when you lock yourself out of the dance hall. You wind up outside looking in the windows and knocking on a door that is bolted shut.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:45 am

JTApps1 wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:Just to follow up a little, AppMan told me all the details of his conversations, and I can will confirm that this is not just some internet rumor going round. This came from multiple sources on both sides. The only way you'll ever get official confirmation of this vote is when the Sun Belt announces a new member not named JMU. The Belt wants a conference championship game, and UMass would allow them to do that starting in 2015. Adding NMSU in all sports is needed to appease the western schools, and to even out scheduling for Olympic sports.

I personally believe UMass and Idaho will only be around for a few years until two all sport adds can be made. Mo. State is still one of the top targets for the Belt, but they need a few years to build their program. EKU is working to build their program up, and there are a few others that may be willing to move in a few years. Benson is trying to satisfy the western schools that are long time members while also trying to find a school to help those of us in the east. To me all of this points to Mo. State and EKU being added in a few years, and Idaho and UMass moving on.
If the ACC's CCG proposal is approved, why would the SBC add UMass? I don't see how that benefits the eastern schools at all.
That is a big IF though. The current rule states you must have 12 so that's all we can go on. I'm sure there will be a clause to any contract with UMass giving the Belt a way out. As stated above, UMass would only be a temporary fix anyway.
From everything I've seen, it's more an inevitability than an "if." We shall see.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:20 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:Just to follow up a little, AppMan told me all the details of his conversations, and I can will confirm that this is not just some internet rumor going round. This came from multiple sources on both sides. The only way you'll ever get official confirmation of this vote is when the Sun Belt announces a new member not named JMU. The Belt wants a conference championship game, and UMass would allow them to do that starting in 2015. Adding NMSU in all sports is needed to appease the western schools, and to even out scheduling for Olympic sports.

I personally believe UMass and Idaho will only be around for a few years until two all sport adds can be made. Mo. State is still one of the top targets for the Belt, but they need a few years to build their program. EKU is working to build their program up, and there are a few others that may be willing to move in a few years. Benson is trying to satisfy the western schools that are long time members while also trying to find a school to help those of us in the east. To me all of this points to Mo. State and EKU being added in a few years, and Idaho and UMass moving on.
If the ACC's CCG proposal is approved, why would the SBC add UMass? I don't see how that benefits the eastern schools at all.
That is a big IF though. The current rule states you must have 12 so that's all we can go on. I'm sure there will be a clause to any contract with UMass giving the Belt a way out. As stated above, UMass would only be a temporary fix anyway.
From everything I've seen, it's more an inevitability than an "if." We shall see.
Hopefully that is true as it would take a lot of pressure off the Belt to add a team. It would also mean there are no opening for any FCS school to move up. If so then JMU just signed it own death warrant.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:31 pm

JTApps1 wrote:If so then JMU just signed it own death warrant.
So if all of this plays out the university will just shut its door, possibly in a blood-bath of carnage?

In the end JMU will continue to exist and be a fine university and also continue to offer many athletic opportunities for participants and spectators. I would love to see JMU in the same conference as us, but it is not looking good. But they will still be a great university just as App State is going to be as we head into the SB and would be if we stayed in the SoCon. I do know App would be a little cheaper to attend had we stayed in the SoCon, and I say that being basically glad that we are moving to the SB.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:40 pm

right now the administration at JMU feels confident saying no to the SBC, we will see how they feel 5 years from now if they are still in the CAA. I kinda get the impression the Chancellor really doesn't want to move up, whether its MAC, USA, or SBC, he is just using the excuse that the SBC is a bad fit for this latest rounds of rejecting the move up. Going to be really interesting to see what he does if the MAC/USA offers in the next 2 years.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:42 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
So if all of this plays out the university will just shut its door, possibly in a blood-bath of carnage?

In the end JMU will continue to exist and be a fine university and also continue to offer many athletic opportunities for participants and spectators. I would love to see JMU in the same conference as us, but it is not looking good. But they will still be a great university just as App State is going to be as we head into the SB and would be if we stayed in the SoCon. I do know App would be a little cheaper to attend had we stayed in the SoCon, and I say that being basically glad that we are moving to the SB.
Nothing like taking something completely out of context. Sure they'll be around, but being stuck in FCS will make them a non factor. The line separating FCS and D2 is about to get very blurry.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:12 pm

Wow, I didn't take his post anywhere near to that. Interesting take...
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Make of this what you will.
Birdsong said Thursday that new JMU coach Everett Withers is preventing him from transferring to Appalachian State, Charlotte, Liberty or Old Dominion as part of the release the university is granting him.
http://www.dnronline.com/article/birdso ... ked_by_jmu

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:24 am

JTApps1 wrote:

Nothing like taking something completely out of context. Sure they'll be around, but being stuck in FCS will make them a non factor. The line separating FCS and D2 is about to get very blurry.
I knew you were going for hyperbole, and I was being a bit cheeky on purpose, but the attitude that athletics is the be-all/end-all of college life is also an attitude that I don't share. And I realize that I am on a message board that has had and will continue to have as its main emphasis college athletics.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Nugget49 wrote:Make of this what you will.
Birdsong said Thursday that new JMU coach Everett Withers is preventing him from transferring to Appalachian State, Charlotte, Liberty or Old Dominion as part of the release the university is granting him.
http://www.dnronline.com/article/birdso ... ked_by_jmu
Why would he do that, and more important why would App or ODU want him. Are we supposed to jump to a wacky conclusion that Withers doesn't want him at a future conference rival?

tigersef

Unread post by tigersef » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:00 pm

Even though the MAC commissioner has said they're content with 12 teams, I have to believe JMU is working a deal with Delaware to become the 13th and 14th members of the MAC prior to June 1st this year. It makes absolutely no sense that JMU would turn down an FBS opportunity without having something else in the works.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”