Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

JMU says NO!!??

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: JMU says NO!!??

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:48 pm

I don't understand why we think we know what is better for JMU than JMU does. Maybe they are happy where they are. Maybe they think life w/o FBS is very livable. Just like people who are perfectly happy with minor league sports, there are people who are happy outside of FBS. I go to the DIV3 NC every year in Salem VA. I will promise you those people are having a ball. In fact last year I sat near a group of about 15 professors who were on their feet and going crazy. Not everyone needs to want what you want to be legitimate. Their students were just as loud per capita as ours are. Different strokes for different folks.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Their administration is very content, their fanbase not so much.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:26 pm

tigersef wrote:Even though the MAC commissioner has said they're content with 12 teams, I have to believe JMU is working a deal with Delaware to become the 13th and 14th members of the MAC prior to June 1st this year. It makes absolutely no sense that JMU would turn down an FBS opportunity without having something else in the works.
If that were true, wouldn't he tell a player to hold on that its not over yet.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:50 pm

saints right, at this moment the administration feels justified in their decision, but ultimately the fans pay the bill, and if in 2 or 3 years they are still in the CAA, they are going to wish they had made the move when they had the chance, its going to be bad if they watch their attendance average drops below 14 thousand, and donations dry up. On the JMU board, they seem to be holding onto hope to rumors that something is happening behind closed doors, sounds familiar when we turned down the SBC the first time around because of rumors we were heading to USA.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:07 pm

JMU is playing Russian Roulette with Putin as the triggerman.....my guess is their Admin will kill the FBS deal and their future is a nice half full stadium, new head coach, and really sad alumni. :shock:

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:30 pm

Most JMU folks are still embarrassed they didn't get into UVA. There was never any way JMU was coming to the Belt and have to play us commoners from NC and GA, much less the real south. What would they have to talk about at family reunions, party's and such when all their betters talk about how their UVA beat Carolina or Notre Dame and all they could brag on was beating South Alabama or Troy? Who?

We are much better off without the want-a-be blue bloods.

wataugan03

Unread post by wataugan03 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:59 pm

moehler wrote:saints right, at this moment the administration feels justified in their decision, but ultimately the fans pay the bill, and if in 2 or 3 years they are still in the CAA, they are going to wish they had made the move when they had the chance, its going to be bad if they watch their attendance average drops below 14 thousand, and donations dry up. On the JMU board, they seem to be holding onto hope to rumors that something is happening behind closed doors, sounds familiar when we turned down the SBC the first time around because of rumors we were heading to USA.
This is an honesty question. At JMU do the fans really pay the bill or do the students and the state of Virginia foot the bill. What percentage of scholarships, facilities, salaries, and general budget are actually being paid by donations and gate receipts.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:09 pm

tigersef wrote:Even though the MAC commissioner has said they're content with 12 teams, I have to believe JMU is working a deal with Delaware to become the 13th and 14th members of the MAC prior to June 1st this year. It makes absolutely no sense that JMU would turn down an FBS opportunity without having something else in the works.
The biggest issue with this is, as has been discussed, the new NCAA revenue agreement and the $12,000,000 guarantee base (it will go up on a per conference basis depending on performance-2nd tier, and if a conference has a team make the playoffs-3rd tier). Anything over 12 the money for each school goes down. Are the MAC schools really ready to give up roughly $150,000 in guaranteed money and more if they perform well to add two FCS move-ups that they don't need? This is what stopped CUSA in their tracks when they were talking about expanding to 16. Now they would love to get back to 12, especially with the money that they are going to lose when their TV deal is up in 2016. The new deal will be MUCH less than they have in place now simply due to who they lost and who they replaced them with. But they will be at 13 in 2014 and 14 in 2015, causing each school's piece of the pie to be less than schools in the other conferences that are at 12.

We are no where near the end of all this. Each day something new pops up that adds to the variables. Where will this all wind up; spin the bloody wheel. But one thing hasn't changed. You have to have a seat at the table in order to play.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:51 pm

wataugan03 wrote:
moehler wrote:saints right, at this moment the administration feels justified in their decision, but ultimately the fans pay the bill, and if in 2 or 3 years they are still in the CAA, they are going to wish they had made the move when they had the chance, its going to be bad if they watch their attendance average drops below 14 thousand, and donations dry up. On the JMU board, they seem to be holding onto hope to rumors that something is happening behind closed doors, sounds familiar when we turned down the SBC the first time around because of rumors we were heading to USA.
This is an honesty question. At JMU do the fans really pay the bill or do the students and the state of Virginia foot the bill. What percentage of scholarships, facilities, salaries, and general budget are actually being paid by donations and gate receipts.
I am guessing 60-70% on the backs of student fees but that is a guess based on numbers from other schools I have seen. Some students, maybe many, of which I am sure would pay the fees for what I assume and hope would be free admission to athletic events, and I bet some, maybe many, would take every cent back and put that money in their own pocket and reduce their student debt, and not bother with sporting events or just go to a few and pay at the gate like a regular spectator.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:00 pm

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2013 ... ve-to-fbs/

80% funded by student fees. Their study projected contributions would double if they went FBS but still would be 70%+ funded by student fees.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:15 pm

I knew those numbers were out there and I was thinking I was low for JMU.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”