Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sun Belt no longer looking at FCS for expansion

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
TheMoody1
School: Appalachian State

Sun Belt no longer looking at FCS for expansion

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:56 pm

I saw this in the Sun Belt board and thought it was very interesing. This is an email sent to EKU supporters.

This email is being sent on behalf of President Michael Benson.

Dear Campus:

We have learned from the Commissioner of the Sun Belt that we are no longer being considered for expansion at this time. Instead, the member institutions of the Sun Belt seem to be narrowing their attention to those universities currently within the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS), and not to those Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) schools considering a move upward.

We will remain in the Ohio Valley Conference, will continue to improve our facilities and expand our programs, and will compete on the national stage of FCS football.

I have appreciated the input received from interested faculty, staff, and students on the topic of EKU and the future of our athletics program and remain committed to moving our institution forward, both academically and athletically.

Go Eastern!

ASUPATCH

Re: Sun Belt no longer looking at FCS for expansion

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:10 pm

UMASS......Come on down, your the next contestant on who wants to be a sunbelt member.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:58 pm

someone please explain to me why UMass is even being considered, excessive travel cost, little support for the football program, most likely just a temporary solution for UMass until they find a conference that's a better fit. The only positive I see is a decent basketball program, and their tv market will be the strongest in the SBC, but even then, what does it matter if no one cares in the North East. Maybe it a case of their the best of the hopefuls, but still, if that's the best we can do..., I don't know, someone please explain to me the attraction.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:18 pm

moehler wrote:The only positive I see is a decent basketball program
I believe it will be football only. I don't see the travel for football as a big deal. Once you have to get on a plane it doesn't make that much difference if you have to go to Louisiana or Mass.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:18 pm

I think it boils down to nobody can agree on a move up, but everyone wants a 12th member. The easiest solution is UMass/NMSU. I'm sure there will be a clause in UMass' contract similar to that in Idaho's. The new autonomy rules are also likely having an impact. The G5 schools probably dont want to make any big changes until the new rules are laid out. JMU may have passed on the last boat off of FCS island.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:45 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:I saw this in the Sun Belt board and thought it was very interesing. This is an email sent to EKU supporters.

This email is being sent on behalf of President Michael Benson.

Dear Campus:

We have learned from the Commissioner of the Sun Belt that we are no longer being considered for expansion at this time. Instead, the member institutions of the Sun Belt seem to be narrowing their attention to those universities currently within the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS), and not to those Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) schools considering a move upward.

We will remain in the Ohio Valley Conference, will continue to improve our facilities and expand our programs, and will compete on the national stage of FCS football.

I have appreciated the input received from interested faculty, staff, and students on the topic of EKU and the future of our athletics program and remain committed to moving our institution forward, both academically and athletically.

Go Eastern!
I have to say that this decision makes me happy except that I am not wild about UMAS. If we are going to be FBS then let's be FBS. Another FCS team sure doesn't strengthen our conference or our negotiating strength at TV contract time. If we can't attract an FBS team right now then I say hold till we can. Now with all that said I don't get a vote on this one either :)

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Uh UMass is FBS.
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Dmanuhone wrote:Uh UMass is FBS.
Yeah. They've been FBS longer than we have.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:53 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Did someone say that they were not?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:05 pm

bcoach wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Did someone say that they were not?
Went back and re-read your post. My bad.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:15 pm

JTApps1 wrote: JMU may have passed on the last boat off of FCS island.
I think you are right on JT.

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Now that we know JMU is a no, I don't see any other FCS schools I'd be interested in voting for sun belt membership. That being said I also would not vote UMASS to football only membership either. I'd just stay at 11 and keep the ear to the ground over the next few years. I wouldn't be in a rush to add a 12th football school just to qualify for a conference champ game. I'd rather wait for the right fit instead and the sun belt can afford to play the waiting game.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:22 pm

I don't really want UMass except as a temporary way to get to 12 and a championship game, I'd accept that as long as it's not THE PERMANENT solution.

Steve1981
School: Massachusetts

Unread post by Steve1981 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:37 pm

moehler wrote:someone please explain to me why UMass is even being considered, excessive travel cost, little support for the football program, most likely just a temporary solution for UMass until they find a conference that's a better fit. The only positive I see is a decent basketball program, and their tv market will be the strongest in the SBC, but even then, what does it matter if no one cares in the North East. Maybe it a case of their the best of the hopefuls, but still, if that's the best we can do..., I don't know, someone please explain to me the attraction.
Posted this on the Sun Belt Board in replay that we were #123 FBS school and why should they add us.

This is all fair game. Charlie Molnar was a career assistant coach and when everyone from our A list turned us down, he was hired. The guy pissed everyone off, players, his own recruits were transferring etc.

Then a UMass donor, the same who donated 2.5 Mill to the Press and Skybox donated the 880k buyout of Molnar contract.

Mark Whipple accepted the job, who coached us to the 1998 FCS Championship game, coached in the NFL and Miami.

We will be better, but our offensive line looked terrible in the spring game, all freshmen. The rest looked good and most next year players are not on campus. That includes Marshall's quarterback Blake Frohnapfel and a Penn State WR.

Regarding attendance, we went from 10k to 15K with terrible teams. Look for another large boost to attendance this year.

We open with Boston College and will have 3 games on campus. The Performance Center will open in July and this is a video with it still under construction.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:23 pm

YesAppCan wrote:I don't really want UMass except as a temporary way to get to 12 and a championship game, I'd accept that as long as it's not THE PERMANENT solution.
Exactly.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Is ANYTHING permanent in today's world of college football?

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:51 am

Good point Mountain Man. In the comment I made, just to be clear, it's not a great LONG TERM solution for UMass either.

App1990

Unread post by App1990 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:48 am

The Big 5 and everyone else being outside is permanent. That door has closed. The gap will expand even faster than it has in the past 10 years. The action will happen in the new second tier.

JMU didn't miss the last boat. The top FCS teams will be allowed to join the new second tier. They are wise to not take a bad situation out of desperation. But in time we are likely to end up in a different conf with JMU. A regional conference that is sustainable.

Though it should be, travel and travel costs are obviously not a concern or we would not be in a conference that covers Idaho, NM, TX, LA, AK, GA and NC. UMass is far better than EKU.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:35 am

App1990 wrote:The Big 5 and everyone else being outside is permanent. That door has closed. The gap will expand even faster than it has in the past 10 years. The action will happen in the new second tier.

JMU didn't miss the last boat. The top FCS teams will be allowed to join the new second tier. They are wise to not take a bad situation out of desperation. But in time we are likely to end up in a different conf with JMU. A regional conference that is sustainable.

Though it should be, travel and travel costs are obviously not a concern or we would not be in a conference that covers Idaho, NM, TX, LA, AK, GA and NC. UMass is far better than EKU.
I have to agree with you about the boat. It left the dock but has not, and will not, leave the harbor without taking some more top FCS programs to fill out the future regional conferences. At some point in time I would not be surprised if we were conference mates with JMU,UNCC, ECU and others. Just like the housing industry this just can't go on forever. The money is going to dry up for all but the top tier.
Now before you call me a negative Nellie I am going to tell you I will welcome the change. Regional opponents give us the opportunity to travel to more games and will keep the cost down for all. I actually think that when the dust settles we will be better off than we are today. We may even get a playoff with a real NC game. We may get back to the good of FCS but with wider appeal and stronger competition. This is something we don't have today. I really can't wait for the big boys to go away.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:34 pm

I think its debatable whether JMU and others made a mistake not moving up now, first, I believe they will get a second chance but its probably going to be atleast 3 years, it wouldn't surprise me if it takes over 5 years. If they are still sitting in the CAA 5 years from now, that would be pretty much a disaster in the eyes of their fans. I do agree, and atleast hope, that someday we will form a regional conference with ECU, UNCC, JMU, GSU, ODU, and maybe even UTC if they ever get their freckin act togeather. Holland, the retired AD at ECU talked all the time about forming a regional conference someday, and how it made sense. Holland is a smart man, wish he was still on the job to try and make it happen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”