Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sun Belt Struggles

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
SpeedkingATL
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sun Belt Struggles

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 am

I would expect the USM game to be a good match up with Apps ground game against USM's air game. I though USM looked pretty decent against Bama, especially in the first half. USM knows this is a winnable game and being at home I would expect their best effort. App should be well rested and healthy and USM may be a little beaten up. This is a game neither team can afford to lose. If App can get pressure on the QB, I think they win; if not expect a shootout.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:41 pm

I did not watch USM/Alabama so I have to ask about their passing game. The completion rate was around 50%. Was that due to poor throws or good defense?

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:22 pm

We definitely need to get both Cox and Upshaw lathered up. The Corn ran for 295 at over 9 yds per carry with two backs going for 100+. Surely both our horses can match or better those numbers. That will keep the defense off the field, play to USM's weakness and give Lamb a chance to settle into a rhythm.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Did I miss something? Did Lamb take the starting job from KB?

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Not yet....

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:41 pm

AppSt94 wrote:Did I miss something? Did Lamb take the starting job from KB?
It will be very interesting to see what happens this Saturday at QB. Lamb was out first with the 1s this past week. Maybe that's due to the bye week with no game to prepare for this past Saturday - maybe not.

This week of practice will be more telling.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:24 am

The USM game should be really telling. With the possible exception of some of the WF teams App beat in the 80s and 90s, they are probably the worst FBS App has ever played. For years, I've read on here and AGS how the top of FCS was not that different competetively from the bottom of the FBS and if we only had a chance to play someone other than VT, LSU, Florida, or Michigan we could have won more. With us and GaSo now in the SBC, we should really see that theory put to the test. I do not believe GaSo has ever played weaker FBS teams than GT and NCSU and they did pretty well with a mostly FCS team. If both teams compete early in the SBC, and I think both will, that theory could prove true. The last comparable situation was Marshall in the 90s, and they did pretty well - granted they were cheating, but still.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:33 am

AppfaninCAALand wrote:For years, I've read on here and AGS how the top of FCS was not that different competetively from the bottom of the FBS and if we only had a chance to play someone other than VT, LSU, Florida, or Michigan we could have won more.
Roger that, time to put up or shut up!

App1990

Unread post by App1990 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:47 am

I don't think that is a theory any longer. It is a fact that has been proven over and over. Georgia State lost to two SoCon teams last year, ND has beaten teams from P5 conferences a number of times, McNeese St almost beating Nebraska earlier this year, Troy losing to Abilene Christian last week, Eastern Washington, etc. Our game against SM will do nothing to test this theory, mainly because we did not leave FCS at the top. We left in the middle of the SoCon. If we beat SM, then it will mean there is more overlap than previously thought.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:37 am

The only point that I can make is that the most obvious difference between FBS and FCS are not factors in the argument (depth). Yes there have been some upsets from lower division teams but I think that it is important to note at what point in the season these wins took place. I believe most of these wins and good showings take place early on in the season before injuries and the grind take effect on a team. I think it is safe to say that the starters for an FCS team can play with the 2's of an FBS, but the FCS 2's cannot. There are obvious exceptions in Georgia Southern and Florida, but I would argue that Florida was n the midst of a dreadful season and was looking ahead to salvaging the season by beating FSU. Not trying to take anything away from GS and their win.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:58 am

"Our game against SM will do nothing to test this theory, mainly because we did not leave FCS at the top. We left in the middle of the SoCon."

It doesn't make any difference now, but I would argue we left at the top of the SoCon and as a FCS power - Last year we were in transition and not really in the SoCon nor the FCS
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”