• Birthdays
    • AppinVA (45)

Eggers Jr. passed at 94

User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 6173
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 1070 times
Been thanked: 649 times

Eggers Jr. passed at 94

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:47 am

I assume this is Eggers of Eggers Hall.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/st ... 60f74.html


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25200
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 791 times
Been thanked: 943 times

Re: Eggers Jr. passed at 94

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:47 am
I assume this is Eggers of Eggers Hall.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/st ... 60f74.html
Not exactly. The dorm is named in honor of Dr. Graydon P. Eggers and Dr. Herman R. Eggers who had 86 years of combined service to the university. Graydon served briefly as head basketball football coach and for decades as a noted English professor. Herman was the registrar for decades. They were brothers and served into the early 1970s.
Last edited by asu66 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 6173
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 1070 times
Been thanked: 649 times

Re: Eggers Jr. passed at 94

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:20 pm

I was thinking this might be the case since the article never mentioned a connection to App.

This brings up a question I now have. Is there a reference online that gives a quick paragraph or two on the history and background of the names of the buildings on the App campus? I did a quick search after I posted the article and could not find anything.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25200
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 791 times
Been thanked: 943 times

Re: Eggers Jr. passed at 94

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:03 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:20 pm
I was thinking this might be the case since the article never mentioned a connection to App.

This brings up a question I now have. Is there a reference online that gives a quick paragraph or two on the history and background of the names of the buildings on the App campus? I did a quick search after I posted the article and could not find anything.
I found a few sketchy, weak resources. Most are( either created for other commercial intent or are seriously incomplete. Not an exact science!

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/21308 ... one-nc-usa
(A search by building name yields some pretty solid info)

http://www.collections.library.appstate ... ings/index
( It includes sketchy info about the purchasing of some land, farms, and some buildings, building demolitions, some name changes, and some renovations. They quit before they finished and need to get a GA or volunteer back on the task.)

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-grayd ... 06096.html
(Search by "building name at app state" to gain access to photos)


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp
Posts: 3780
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Eggers Jr. passed at 94

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:06 pm

asu66 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:47 am
I assume this is Eggers of Eggers Hall.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/st ... 60f74.html
Not exactly. The dorm is named in honor of Dr. Graydon P. Eggers and Dr. Herman R. Eggers who had 86 years of combined service to the university. Graydon served briefly as head basketball football coach and for decades as a noted English professor. Herman was the registrar for decades. They were brothers and served into the early 1970s.


Gonzo said: "His high school-aged kids will forgive him for making them move when they park their brand new porches at Chapel Hill High School."

NewApp
Posts: 3780
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Eggers Jr. passed at 94

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:07 pm

asu66 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:47 am
I assume this is Eggers of Eggers Hall.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/st ... 60f74.html
Not exactly. The dorm is named in honor of Dr. Graydon P. Eggers and Dr. Herman R. Eggers who had 86 years of combined service to the university. Graydon served briefly as head basketball football coach and for decades as a noted English professor. Herman was the registrar for decades. They were brothers and served into the early 1970s.
Graydon was also chairman of the English Department for many years and his wife, Daisy, was a professor in the English Department at the same time. Daisy was an App alum herself.


Gonzo said: "His high school-aged kids will forgive him for making them move when they park their brand new porches at Chapel Hill High School."

fjblair
Posts: 2790
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:03 pm
Has thanked: 208 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: Eggers Jr. passed at 94

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Not the same Eggers.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 15 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: wkat@wilkes.net and 14 guests