Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Food,booze and Memories

NoLongerLurking
School: Appalachian State

Re: Food,booze and Memories

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:49 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:45 pm
The way some of y'all talk about the past, I'm surprised you haven't built a time machine to go back and live there.
Some of these dudes used to be able to throw a ball clear over Howard's knob from campus.

App74

Unread post by App74 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:18 pm

T-Dog wrote:
The way some of y'all talk about the past, I'm surprised you haven't built a time machine to go back and live there.
From my chair, remembering the past, and learning from it, makes the present a better place to live and gives one hope for the future.

App74

Unread post by App74 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:50 pm

I have limited knowledge of the food part. As for bars and beer 1970-1974: Antlers was still a go to place. Villa Maria was another great option. The Library Club opened across the back road from Villa Maria. Hollies was always good but I was lured by closer bars. There was a bar in downtown Blowing Rock called, yes, Hard Rock. There were rows of picnic tables in Hard Rock, sort of like cattle feeding troughs except students were guzzling beer instead of feed. Hard Rock also served Schlitz Malt Liquor which had a higher alcohol content, more bang for the buck. There was a service station past Blowing Rock going down the mountain that served liquor by the drink in a back room. I don't remember the name. It didn't last long.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:26 pm

I believe that DG and Coach Drinkwitz have put together a very capable football staff. I don't know much about most of these new coaches, but they have been around and must be able to coach. We have a lot of P5 and national championship experience on this staff. App State was the 3rd youngest football team this past year in college football. They are being given the keys to a Ferrari and I hope they don't mess it up...

This was an attempted RTH (Reverse Thread Hijack).
Give Em Hell!!

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:34 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Things get better with time and everyone’s 4-5 years was the best time to be here.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:53 pm

App74 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:50 pm
I have limited knowledge of the food part. As for bars and beer 1970-1974: Antlers was still a go to place. Villa Maria was another great option. The Library Club opened across the back road from Villa Maria. Hollies was always good but I was lured by closer bares. There was a bar in downtown Blowing Rock called, yes, Hard Rock. There were rows of picnic tables in Hard Rock, sort of like cattle feeding troughs except students were guzzling beer instead of feed. Hard Rock also served Schlitz Malt Liquor which had a higher alcohol content, more bang for the buck. There was a service station past Blowing Rock going down the mountain that served liquor by the drink in a back room. I don't remember the name. It didn't last long.
Called The Speakeasy.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:55 pm

Iplayed a lot of pinball in the lower floor of the bar where Woodlands is. Can’t remember the name. I do remember theRedDog Salloon though.
Last edited by Rekdiver on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:19 pm

87ASUgrad wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:26 pm
I believe that DG and Coach Drinkwitz have put together a very capable football staff. I don't know much about most of these new coaches, but they have been around and must be able to coach. We have a lot of P5 and national championship experience on this staff. App State was the 3rd youngest football team this past year in college football. They are being given the keys to a Ferrari and I hope they don't mess it up...

This was an attempted RTH (Reverse Thread Hijack).
Bravo!
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 pm

Yogi’s subs and Speedy Pizza deliveries to Coltrane. Gold Room Salad Bar and steak nights with meal tickets bought from the girls in Hoey. Carolina Burger in the BI. Parties at the Horn in the West building. Bruce Springsteen, Alman Brothers, Buffett, America, Linda Rondstadt. Special occasions at “The Con Ed Center” as it had no naming rights then, or a trip to Spruce Pine for Chinese food. The breakfasts at Mountain House. Antlers. No beer n Boone and no liquor in Blowing Rock. No upper deck at Conrad, and rocking Varsity Gym with Bobby Cremins. Going to away games AT Lenoir Rhyne and usually getting into an altercation.

App74

Unread post by App74 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:20 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:53 pm
App74 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:50 pm
I have limited knowledge of the food part. As for bars and beer 1970-1974: Antlers was still a go to place. Villa Maria was another great option. The Library Club opened across the back road from Villa Maria. Hollies was always good but I was lured by closer bares. There was a bar in downtown Blowing Rock called, yes, Hard Rock. There were rows of picnic tables in Hard Rock, sort of like cattle feeding troughs except students were guzzling beer instead of feed. Hard Rock also served Schlitz Malt Liquor which had a higher alcohol content, more bang for the buck. There was a service station past Blowing Rock going down the mountain that served liquor by the drink in a back room. I don't remember the name. It didn't last long.
Called The Speakeasy.
That's it!

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:28 am

Back in the early 80's "Landmark 1849" was a bar in Blowing Rock near where Woodlands now stands. I went there to see a Doors tribute band in 1981 and saw Coaches Cremins and Cantwell also enjoying the show.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:11 am

Found this article when I was searching for "Grubstake Saloon".

Drinking Wars: A Wet Decade
Few things rouses a populace like a vote on alcohol sales. The 1980's in Watauga were a time of controversy, pro-business versus pro-morality, wet versus dry, and a flurry of elections challenges.A Wet Decade

The decade opened with five Blowing Rock establishments having their beer and wine permits revoked because of the Fifty-One Percent Rule. The state ABC board ruled that Holley's Tavern, PB Scott's, Grubstake Saloon, Hobbit Hutch, and the Library Club did not meet the requirement that a business have more than half its sales in food. Other cases were dismissed. Under the rule, establishments had to maintain "Grade-A kitchens primarily serving food."

P.B. Scott's spokesman said at the time, "Whether or not we sell beer and wine, we intend to stay open." They did, for several more years. A Superior Court judge temporarily reinstated the club's license. But their license was permanently revoked in 1982, and they closed in 1983. The geodesic dome building was torn down in 1987 to make way for condominiums.

A Wet DecadeThe club had brought internationally-famous acts such as REM, B.B. King, and Bonnie Raitt to the area. Upon closing, one club's sign proclaimed "Welcome to Blowing Rock- Turn Your Clock Back 20 Years."

A liquor by the drink referendum went before Blowing Rock voters in 1981, passing by 35 votes despite strong opposition from the Christian Action League. The League claimed irregularities in the voting and succeeded in calling for a second vote. This time, with 83 percent of voters turning out, the measure was defeated by 58 votes.

In the fall of 1983, the newly-incorporated town of Beech Mountain approved on-premises beer and wine sales, with nearly 75 percent of 154 voters approving of the sales. In 1986, a Banner Elk vote for on-premises beer and mixed drink sales lost by six votes.

In 1986, a state law raised the minimum drinking age for beer and wine to 21. The law was passed due to a federal law which tied federal highway funds to a higher legal drinking age.

That same year also brought the Wet Wars back to the surface in Blowing Rock, mostly due to a referendum for on-premises beer sales in Boone. The Boone Town Council called for the referendum in a split vote, and a huge voter registration initiative began. A group opposed to the vote tried to get thousands of Appalachian State University students dropped from the voter rolls, but a judge disallowed the challenge. Beer and wine sales were approved overwhelmingly in March of 1986.

Blowing Rock, fearing the loss of revenue, held a liquor-by-the-drink vote that same year. The vote passed. The resort town was no longer the party destination of choice, though. Club owners reported that drink sales revenue was down over fifty percent in Blowing Rock the following year. Liquor-by-the-drink petitions circulate every few years in Boone, but no serious challenge has been mounted. One drive begun earlier this year sank without a ripple.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 pm

T-Dog wrote:
We would but the flux capacitor is broken and O'Reilly's is tardy getting a replacement!
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:35 am

Anyone remember some dude named Stevie Ray playing at Solecitos?
KICK ASS!!!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:03 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:06 pm
Breakfast nights at Welborn was always a favorite for me.
B4D Thursday.... Loved it
The Appalachian State

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:03 am

goapps wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:28 am
Back in the early 80's "Landmark 1849" was a bar in Blowing Rock near where Woodlands now stands. I went there to see a Doors tribute band in 1981 and saw Coaches Cremins and Cantwell also enjoying the show.
Didn't this bar become Mother Fletcher's? I can't remember the name of the place before Mothers took over.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:32 am

RIP to Klondike and Parthenon

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:12 pm

Breakfast night every Thursday at the dining hall
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:20 pm

Looking to the future... I just stopped by Booneshine's spot in #EastBoone. It looks like it'll be great once the restaurant and outdoor area comes together later this summer.

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:39 pm

I guess it was my junior year. Some of my friends were going to PB Scott's that night and asked me to join them. I had never heard of the band and was low on funds, so I passed. Six months later the whole world knew who REM was. Oh well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”