Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2019 Legends Gala...Cremins, Searcy, App Legends and Impact Construction

asu66
School: Appalachian State

2019 Legends Gala...Cremins, Searcy, App Legends and Impact Construction

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:42 pm

My bride and I went to the 2019 Legends Gala in Linville on Friday evening and it did not disappoint. Our main motivation was to enjoy a reunion with Bobby and Carolyn Cremins after six long years since we'd seen them. That goal was met, but there was sooo much more. Bobby and Carolyn are both doing well, looking young and enjoying their golden years in Hilton Head. They have three children and two grandchildren and never lack for anything to do with their time. They also have a ton of old friends from their days at App and they richly enjoy get-togethers to reminisce. They return to the area for scheduled events or just for fun 5-6 times every year--always including a couple of football games, a couple of basketball weekends/MBB Alumni Reunion, Legends Gala or just for some tennis/golf/cards/food with friends.

Speaking of "sooo much more..." when Bobby's back in The High Country, so are as many of his former assistant coaches, former players and legion of fans who can get there. Sat. evening was no exception. Kevin Cantwell was there with a big handshake and smile for everyone; as were a crowd of former ass't coaches, players and team staffers headlined by App MBB alums Darryl Robinson and Tony Searcy. Yep, that TONY SEARCY!

Tony continues his recovery from that massive stroke we learned of many months ago. He's living at home in Pilot Mountain and still battling the odds. He works with a physical therapist at the local Y two days a week and at home with his wife at his own pace. Although he was in a wheelchair, he does walk during therapy. On Sat. evening, his handshake was strong, his speech was clear and that trademark Searcy "twinkle" was back in his eye as a throng of well-wishers crowded around. He was clearly happy to be back among friends/fans he hadn't seen in "a while." He received a resounding welcome from the crowd when he was recognized during Cremins' keynote address.

Cremins' keynote was typical of him in so many ways. He took time to thank, by name, all of the Appalachian Family folks who helped him put his program together, put his first team on the floor and guide him along the way to the SoCon Championship and the NCAA Tourney. Some of the names will surprise you--some probably not. AD emeritus Jim Jones, MBB coach emeritus Bob Light, MBB coach emeritus Press Maravich, "holdover" player and Maravich recruit Alvin Gentry, ass't coach Kevin Cantwell, ass't coach Gene Littles, first NYC recruits Darryl Robinson and Mel Hubbard, first in-state recruit Tony Searcy, MSOC head coach emeritus Vaughn Christian and FH head coach emeritus and faculty member Jan Watson to name a few.

Emmy Award winning, Fox 13 Tampa Bay broadcaster Charley Belcher (ASU Class of '91) was the master of ceremonies and introduced the '19 Class of App Legends that included...Avery Hall (FB), Anne Horton (FH), Darryl Robinson (MBB), Gil Beck (FB), Jim Jones (MTEN and AD), Jan Watson (FH), Marques Murrell (FB), and AJ Howard (FB).

Side note...Pauletta and I had the privilege of sitting with MBB special ass't Jason Allison and his wife, Hope and former Mountaineer footballer Toronto Thomas. Enjoyed meeting and breaking bread with them. Three quality individuals right there!

Learned that the MBB team reports on July 1 for the second session of summer school and the unofficial start of the Dustin Kerns era. Three walk-ons will join the '19 recruits and returnees.

Doug Gillin gave a brief report on Impact. $43 Mil of the $60 Mil goal has been raised and construction on the West Campus is in overdrive!

Go Apps!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

DaphneUrquhart

Re: 2019 Legends Gala...Cremins, Searcy, App Legends and Impact Construction

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:51 am

The Legends Gala is truly a wonderful event! I enjoy chatting with the current student-athletes in attendance and catching up with so many of my App family. Of course, my favorite part is supporting App State Athletics.

You're definitely on target in your assessment of Toronto Thomas. He and Dominic Parisi are two great hires in the Yosef office. I'm enjoying working with them.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:16 pm

Wish I had known you were there ASU66. Would have enjoyed meeting you and telling you how much I enjoy your insight.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:14 pm

appfanz wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:16 pm
Wish I had known you were there ASU66. Would have enjoyed meeting you and telling you how much I enjoy your insight.
Thanks for the kind words. I would have enjoyed meeting you, as well. Over the years, we've had some online discussions about ways to get as many of our forum members together as possible --some way, somehow. It worked for some of our folks as I recall. As large as our membership has grown and as diverse/independent as we are, the probability of a significant gathering is low. Perhaps our paths will cross at a future App event. I'd certainly enjoy that!

Whatever insight I might have is based upon having been around the greater App Family like forever accumulating many friends, countless memories/rich experiences and quite a few strong opinions along the way. Sometimes my opinions get me in the Mountaineer Doghouse. :lol:

roachgone

Unread post by roachgone » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Thanks for the report. Was in the doghouse with you back in the Laney days but today is the fruit of our labors.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:56 pm

roachgone wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:34 pm
Thanks for the report. Was in the doghouse with you back in the Laney days but today is the fruit of our labors.
Amen to the fruit of our labors!

GOAPPS37

Unread post by GOAPPS37 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:39 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:51 am
The Legends Gala is truly a wonderful event! I enjoy chatting with the current student-athletes in attendance and catching up with so many of my App family. Of course, my favorite part is supporting App State Athletics.

You're definitely on target in your assessment of Toronto Thomas. He and Dominic Parisi are two great hires in the Yosef office. I'm enjoying working with them.
Why such a high turnover rate in the Yosef Club department? Very concerning to me. I feel developing relationships with donors would be a top priority in these positions and you can do this if you only stay a couple of years.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:36 am

GOAPPS37 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:39 am
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:51 am

Why such a high turnover rate in the Yosef Club department? Very concerning to me. I feel developing relationships with donors would be a top priority in these positions and you can do this if you only stay a couple of years.
I believe the main issue is financial. As a relatively small athletic department with a correspondingly small budget, we're a stepping stone for most athletic administrator folks. Combine that with the manner in which the athletics job ladder is "climbed" and you have a recipe for turnover in everything except the top spot at App. It's not unusual for someone to work at half a dozen schools if they're good enough to keep climbing and have the desire to do so.

We can attract the brightest young stars and give them a good start. We won't be able to keep them until we have the money to pay what they can make at the next school on their journey.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”