Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

And Another Thing

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

And Another Thing

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:33 pm

Ok the last topic got sidetracked by religion and deleted.

Seriously this is good food for thought:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/us/tom-h ... index.html

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: And Another Thing

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:00 pm

I think the hiding/censoring/"not authorized to view" is getting a bit heavy handed on the board. There are obvious differences of opinion on this board and some are very strongly held. Some of mine certainly are. I don't read every post on here and maybe I am missing something but I have not seen any name-calling or hostile tones that would warrant the removal/hiding/blocking of some of these threads.

For the record the amount of love I have for App and the money I may or may not give to App is in no way based on what any alumni/friend/foe/follower/poster/lurker may post on this board. My love of App transcends a message board.

I doubt there anything an employee of App could say or do that would change my views of App. I might work to get them removed from that position, if I felt the views were not good for my alma mater, but it would not change my views of App.

I can handle a few strong words here on this board. I am a big boy, and hopefully others are as well.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:36 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:00 pm
I think the hiding/censoring/"not authorized to view" is getting a bit heavy handed on the board. There are obvious differences of opinion on this board and some are very strongly held. Some of mine certainly are. I don't read every post on here and maybe I am missing something but I have not seen any name-calling or hostile tones that would warrant the removal/hiding/blocking of some of these threads.

For the record the amount of love I have for App and the money I may or may not give to App is in no way based on what any alumni/friend/foe/follower/poster/lurker may post on this board. My love of App transcends a message board.

I doubt there anything an employee of App could say or do that would change my views of App. I might work to get them removed from that position, if I felt the views were not good for my alma mater, but it would not change my views of App.

I can handle a few strong words here on this board. I am a big boy, and hopefully others are as well.
There is enough divisiveness and outright hatred on the Internet. If that's what you seek then there are any number of outlets available to satisfy that need. This board is not one of those places. Maybe I'm naive; maybe I'm wrong, but I want this to be one place where people can gather and just share something that we all love. So, I'm sorry you feel that I'm being heavy handed, but it's not changing.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:20 am

Thank you appst89. We don't need all the hate and venom on here. People arguing on here will solve nothing.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:34 am

appst89 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:36 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:00 pm

There is enough divisiveness and outright hatred on the Internet. If that's what you seek then there are any number of outlets available to satisfy that need. This board is not one of those places. Maybe I'm naive; maybe I'm wrong, but I want this to be one place where people can gather and just share something that we all love. So, I'm sorry you feel that I'm being heavy handed, but it's not changing.
It is your board and your call. I do think keeping the thread up but locked for some short amount of time (a day maybe) or posting what brought the thread down might actually help the situation. I don't know if you are the sole censor or shared with a group but a bit more transparency might allow us to figure out the line you have drawn in the sand. It is your board so you can draw the line and this board is not a political board at hart, which is nice, but with the number of posts coming down of late then specific examples might just be helpful in having to avoid the issue.

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. I have no desire for a board filled with hate and divisiveness but I just don't see it on this board. Then again as of late I seem to not be seeing a good many posts.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:05 am

It's my fault/ I coulda let it go but the curmudgeon it me took over..............

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:30 am

I'm not sure if you saw the last few posts in that thread, but it was heading in the direction of being nuked. Any time religion is brought in to a contentious debate and is being used as a reason to not act like or do something like blank, then it's time to nuke the thread. We all have opinions because we are human. As appst89 said there are plenty of places on the internet to get into religious/deep political arguments with people. The old Delphi forums got pretty wild sometimes and I'm glad this forum hasn't been allowed to devolve into that. I think the line has to be drawn at that or some threads could get really ugly really quick. The first 4 ish pages of that thread were a good example of a civil discussion that we could have on serious topics. The last page began to go downhill. I mainly come here for news about App, sports in general, news about the high country, bbq, cups with ice, Moose, GAS, the weatherman (can't remember your screen name), and some time killing general section banter.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:47 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:33 pm

I dated a girl my freshman year of college. Her parents didn't like me because of my race. Their exact quote, "We don't hate black people, we have black friends...we just don't want our daughter dating outside of white." I think it's stories like mine that the Texas coach is talking about with this article. Don't pick and choose when it's convenient, for you to be fans of a minority. The greats aren't exempt from similar treatment. I remember in 2007 when Apps home streak came to an end, Armanti who had not played in about a month didn't have his best game through the air. Heard some racial slurs thrown his way from the student section. It's a very small minority that reacts the way those students did, but those that feel it but don't say it, that number is probably high.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:19 am

I did not see the last few posts, but I too was sorry to see it removed. I think there is something to be said for having meaningful conversations with people you already know and respect based on shared experience. I didn't see any "hate and venom", and if one of us manages to get another one to think a bit differently, I'd say it's time well spent. I think it's hard to cultivate a tight community when conversations have to be superficial.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:59 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:33 pm

My inbox was full, thus not allowing anymore messages. I've since changed the settings to allow new messages and to delete the old messages. With that said, although I received a notification, your PM didn't come through. Apparently I have 7 unread messages that even after deleting the old messages will not appear. Can you resend the message or email me at thomas.long.e@gmail.com?

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:57 pm

If it doesnt directly pertain to App I would prefer not to see it here. There are a multitude of other arenas to debate religion/politics/ethics etc. Please not here!!!!
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:23 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:57 pm
If it doesnt directly pertain to App I would prefer not to see it here. There are a multitude of other arenas to debate religion/politics/ethics etc. Please not here!!!!
Again, I don't have a problem with that up to a point. The reality is the it is hard to avoid political posts at times. Aside from funding issues for App, politics is all around and very much a part of athletics at App and around the country and world.

That does not mean we need to have a wild-west here of posts either.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:41 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
There is no wrong place or time to raise awareness.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

tm37766

Unread post by tm37766 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:42 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:41 pm
ASUPATCH wrote:
There is no wrong place or time to raise awareness.
I agree. I ordinarily don’t like to mix “hobbies” (ie discussing App football or other sports) with current events. Yet, as a family, the App family, sometimes we have to go there. Touch on the uncomfortable. It’s part of healthy discourse.

The stories I’ve heard have broken my heart, opened my eyes, and most importantly made me think— how can I be part of the solution, not part of the problem? Maybe I’m late to the dance, but I’m headed that way. This is complicated because many people are breaking through long held opinions, or just really thinking about the issue with more than just a passing thought. They’re digesting it and surveying their culpability, or their complacency or whatever.

A 400 year problem isn’t corrected in short order. Division is likely to continue. Some people are regressing in thought and attitude. It’s not right, but it’s safe for them. Perhaps being uncomfortable is ok for a while.

I don’t have the solution, but I don’t want to exasperate the problem.

All that to say, if not for this forum, I may not have said anything, or read anything about this, and thought about it in a constructive or critical way.

I digress.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:51 pm

I'm seeing numerous App State student athletes (and students) attending protests in the cities they're originally from. App State and App Athletics have released numerous statements on the protests. Coaches are commenting on it. And there was a protest with hundreds in West Jefferson today.

Young student athletes among others are realizing they have the power to change the world.

I think it should be perfectly fine to discuss with moderation. I don't think this completely goes away in the fall.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:29 am

And to be fair, there were five pages of civil discussion. Only when the religion bashing and personal attacks started was the thread locked. I'm 100% in support of discussion, but all the hatred and vitriol has no place here.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:51 am

appst89 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:29 am
And to be fair, there were five pages of civil discussion. Only when the religion bashing and personal attacks started was the thread locked. I'm 100% in support of discussion, but all the hatred and vitriol has no place here.
89..there was no hate. Anger? Yes. Just trying to point out to someone that they didn’t seem to get what was happening, our students and student athletes concerns and what attitudes merit change. I did let it get the best of me.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:52 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:51 am
appst89 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:29 am
89..there was no hate. Anger? Yes. Just trying to point out to someone that they didn’t seem to get what was happening, our students and student athletes concerns and what attitudes merit change. I did let it get the best of me.
There were specific jabs at Liberty U for their beliefs and some individuals. If left alone, it was going to blow up. As I mentioned in another post there were a number of good pages of civil discussion, but we all know where it goes once anger, religion, and little jabs start up. I've appreciated that this website has not been allowed to turn in to what the Delphi forums had devolved into.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:35 am

Outsiders really want to believe that App/Boone isn’t a special place? So proud of this community.

YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”