Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2021 FBS Conference Talk

Seattleapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2021 FBS Conference Talk

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:08 pm

Tatedc wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:56 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:42 pm
Tatedc wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:19 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:39 pm
Tatedc wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:42 am

Saying this would be a legit FBS Conference makes me laugh and gag. There is at best 2 teams in their that could ever compete, let alone be legit in an FBS Conference.

That is horrible. That really isn't even a top end FCS conference...and you said a legit FBS Conference? Horrible. Sad. Horrible. No.

I dont even have words.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... =332502026
Seems we were at about the same place in 2013...the score says NC A&T was a little ahead of us at that time.
Nope. In 2013 we had 3 national titles, 18 conference titles and 10 double digit win seasons under our belt. Satterfield redshirt tons of players in 2013 to prepare for the scholarship upgrade we would have as we were transitioning to FBS. App State was light years different than NC AT is today.

Also that does not detour from the fact that the above listed would be a historically terrible FBS conference. Its unimaginable.
Totally agree with what you are saying about 2013 and App being ahead of them. My comparison is the rest of G5....These teams are as ready as many current FBS teams. NC A&T could compete with many G5 teams....just as many G5s can compete with p5 teams.
Yes I agree with you. I'm in the minority amongst app fans in that I dont think we are better than we were our last 7-8 years in FCS. I think FBS is just not as good as we and other thought and the top of FCS is better than people know. You give teams like App, Montana and Georgia Southern full rosters they can immediately compete in FBS.

That being said...I dont think A&T is in the small list of remaining FCSers who would thrive...but I get the argument. JMU, NDSU, Jacksonville State and Montana are the only teams with the fan bases, facilities and history to deserve it...but you're right, half of FCS is ready to come and compete with the Rice and ULMS of the world.
Not to nitpick but rice would have throttled a&t this year. This rice team completely manhandled Marshall. I know that was probably the first team you thought of but this thread is so dumb. Basically every school mentioned would suck at the p5 level for quite a while.

Tatedc

Unread post by Tatedc » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:11 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:08 pm
Tatedc wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
Tatedc wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:39 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... =332502026
Seems we were at about the same place in 2013...the score says NC A&T was a little ahead of us at that time.
Nope. In 2013 we had 3 national titles, 18 conference titles and 10 double digit win seasons under our belt. Satterfield redshirt tons of players in 2013 to prepare for the scholarship upgrade we would have as we were transitioning to FBS. App State was light years different than NC AT is today.

Also that does not detour from the fact that the above listed would be a historically terrible FBS conference. Its unimaginable.
Totally agree with what you are saying about 2013 and App being ahead of them. My comparison is the rest of G5....These teams are as ready as many current FBS teams. NC A&T could compete with many G5 teams....just as many G5s can compete with p5 teams.
Yes I agree with you. I'm in the minority amongst app fans in that I dont think we are better than we were our last 7-8 years in FCS. I think FBS is just not as good as we and other thought and the top of FCS is better than people know. You give teams like App, Montana and Georgia Southern full rosters they can immediately compete in FBS.

That being said...I dont think A&T is in the small list of remaining FCSers who would thrive...but I get the argument. JMU, NDSU, Jacksonville State and Montana are the only teams with the fan bases, facilities and history to deserve it...but you're right, half of FCS is ready to come and compete with the Rice and ULMS of the world.
Not to nitpick but rice would have throttled a&t this year. This rice team completely manhandled Marshall. I know that was probably the first team you thought of but this thread is so dumb. Basically every school mentioned would suck at the p5 level for quite a while.
Yeah you're right. A&T needs to focus on actually playing in the FCS playoffs before even thinking about FBS.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:41 pm

Tatedc wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:11 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:08 pm
Tatedc wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
Tatedc wrote:

Yeah you're right. A&T needs to focus on actually playing in the FCS playoffs before even thinking about FBS.
I actually went and looked at their season by season records and over past 6 years they’ve won a lot. But if you look at their opponents, it’s a little bit of fools gold. They weren’t really beating anyone as the MEAC is historically weak and that’s not their fault but to say their program is on par with ours when we moved up is absurd, much less claiming they can beat a lot of g5 teams. UMASS had a decent program when they moved up and they’ve been awful at the fbs level. I suppose I’m salty about this because I know what app and Marshall and even
Southern had to accomplish at the fcs level to be able to be successful at the fbs level, it’s insulting to think these not even very good fcs teams will move up and start winning no problem.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:42 pm

A&T was voted along App as one of the best college football programs in the state over the last decade. They beat ECU, although that was when ECU had bottomed out.

They deserve credit for having a winning program over the last several years.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:41 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:42 pm
A&T was voted along App as one of the best college football programs in the state over the last decade. They beat ECU, although that was when ECU had bottomed out.

Like I said. Look at their opponents. This is a fascinating topic as I’ve no animus toward a&t and I wish them success, but we shouldn’t make them them more than they are. They’ve consistently won in a terrible conference. In 2018 they did beat ecu by 5. Ecu went 3-9 that year. Last year Duke beat them by 30. Duke went 5-7. They’ve been relegated to the Heritage Bowl instead of the playoffs, but you can’t convince me they are an fcs powerhouse much less on the same level as the majority of g5 schools. And to say they along with App are one of the best programs in North Carolina is again misleading. Since 2013 Lenoir rhyne has gone 60-26. The point I’m making is there are levels. And A&T is not on par with elite FCS programs like NDSU or JMU much less on App’s level at FBS

boonegoons89

Unread post by boonegoons89 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:47 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:41 pm
T-Dog wrote:

Like I said. Look at their opponents. This is a fascinating topic as I’ve no animus toward a&t and I wish them success, but we shouldn’t make them them more than they are. They’ve consistently won in a terrible conference. In 2018 they did beat ecu by 5. Ecu went 3-9 that year. Last year Duke beat them by 30. Duke went 5-7. They’ve been relegated to the Heritage Bowl instead of the playoffs, but you can’t convince me they are an fcs powerhouse much less on the same level as the majority of g5 schools. And to say they along with App are one of the best programs in North Carolina is again misleading. Since 2013 Lenoir rhyne has gone 60-26. The point I’m making is there are levels. And A&T is not on par with elite FCS programs like NDSU or JMU much less on App’s level at FBS
Using your logic, look at our opponents. I would argue we have consistently won in a terrible conference. They play the teams they are scheduled to play and win. Can't fault them for that.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:16 am

Seattleapp wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Dude you sound like Chapel Hill fans . They won the games they were allowed to play. Just to make clear my opinion of why they are ready and deserve FBS is their fan support. To me fans matter more for FBS than wins. NC A&T will have more fans attend games and more importantly bring fans to Boone than most FBS teams, especially in the G5 ranks.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:15 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:04 am
This would be a legit FBS conference. It would compete easily with the G5 conferences. I would love to see NC A&T make FBS. They would get good fast. If they were the only Historically black FBS team. NC A&T is one I like to pull for.

ASUN North:
UMass. football affiliate
UConn. football affiliate
Youngstown State football affiliate
Eastern Kentucky
Stony Brook football affiliate
Delaware football affiliate

ASUN south:
JMU football affiliate
North Carolina A&T
Kennesaw State
North Alabama
UCA
Chattanooga or Tennessee State
I don't disagree from what many of you have said from a quality of program standpoint, but it looks to me that these teams are either following the Charlotte model (just say you belong) or Coastal/Liberty model (move up and success will follow)

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:41 am

With all the possible G5 move ups, App is in danger of falling back to what amounts to 1-AA. Deju vu all over again as Yogi said.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:38 pm

The move up to FBS was done knowing another realignment was in the future. This is not a surprise to anybody in our administration (past, present, and future).

Part of the decision to move up was to ensure we didn't get stuck in the de facto d2 (current FCS). Now, with the success, it's possible we stay at the top tier with the next realignment. But, the only guarantee is we won't be left behind -- again.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:03 pm

boonegoons89 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:47 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Using your logic, look at our opponents. I would argue we have consistently won in a terrible conference. They play the teams they are scheduled to play and win. Can't fault them for that.
Not even close to what I said nor does it apply. The so con was not a terrible conference when we were in it, far from it. Plus we have the three national titles proving we beat the elites at the fcs level. Moving up, the sun belt may have started weakly, but is one of the stronger g5 conferences which we’ve won it. Plus we have wins over p5 schools and close loses. Additionally we’ve won all six bowl games. A&T has had some recent success in the meac and that’s it. So I’d encourage you to re-examine your position as it does not apply to this

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:05 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:16 am
Seattleapp wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Dude you sound like Chapel Hill fans . They won the games they were allowed to play. Just to make clear my opinion of why they are ready and deserve FBS is their fan support. To me fans matter more for FBS than wins. NC A&T will have more fans attend games and more importantly bring fans to Boone than most FBS teams, especially in the G5 ranks.
Read my posts. I sound nothing like a UNC fan. And if you are saying they should move up based solely on attendance I must have missed that as your posts center more on what a football powerhouse they are to which I strongly disagree
Last edited by Seattleapp on Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:06 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:38 pm
The move up to FBS was done knowing another realignment was in the future. This is not a surprise to anybody in our administration (past, present, and future).

Part of the decision to move up was to ensure we didn't get stuck in the de facto d2 (current FCS). Now, with the success, it's possible we stay at the top tier with the next realignment. But, the only guarantee is we won't be left behind -- again.
Hopefully we end up in the same boat as Memphis/UCF/Boise/Cincinnati and not a boat with Tarleton, Lamar and Dixie State.
YNWA

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:57 pm

Lay off A&T. They got a good band.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:28 am

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:57 pm
Lay off A&T. They got a good band.
So does Chad Kroeger but that doesn’t make Nickelback worth a 💩.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”