Parking Deck Tailgates - Safe?

ArmantiWaterSafety
School: Appalachian State

Parking Deck Tailgates - Safe?

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:50 am

So I always like to do research on completely useless things and came across this:

"Per the International Building Code, parking structures are designed for a live load of 40 pounds per square ft of live load. The top level of a parking structure is designed for that plus the snow load – typically 54-60 psf of total live load for the roof level.

The IBC requires that public assembly areas be designed for 100 psf. It’s hard to believe that a party can actually create more weight than vehicles, but it’s true. To have a public gathering on a parking level, the access would have to be monitored and restricted in order not to not exceed the design live load for the parking structure."

That being said, I'm assuming that's why they don't sell all the spots in the parking decks? I always thought it was odd there were a lot of empty spots in the decks, but now it would make sense.

Just thought it was interesting, obviously the people in charge know about this and ensure it's safe to do so (at least I hope)

A2534

Re: Parking Deck Tailgates - Safe?

Unread post by A2534 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:59 am

Very interesting points. Had no idea they don't assign every spot on game days with tailgating.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:09 am

Probably a structural load thing but maybe more importantly fire and safety code. One lit grill falls over during the game and that could be a big whoopsies.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:29 am

Ever been to Duke Cancer Center deck? Now an empty spot in the structure….I’m assuming there are regular inspections and it was designed with full capacity and tailgating in mind.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”