This should put an end to CUSA's habit of taking SBC schools

RankinApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: This should put an end to CUSA's habit of taking SBC sch

Unread post by RankinApp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Thanks fellas.

bh2oson

Unread post by bh2oson » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Gonzo wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... evenue-cap

The Group of Five is talking about capping the new playoff pay out at $12 Million. IMO this makes expanding to 16 a no-go for the hungry hungry hippos of CUSA.

"Conference USA, with 14 members, would split the same $12 million as the Sun Belt, Mountain West and AAC, each with 12 members by 2015. (The MAC is at 13 members.) Two sources said part of the decision was based on conference realignment. The equal split, in theory, deters conferences from raiding each other because that distribution number isn't going to grow with more teams."

Not to mention that SBC schools will officially get more $ after this new cap since CUSA has to split their $12 Mill 14 ways. Unless there's a massive discrepancy in TV $ that I'm not aware of, I don't see why any Sun Belt school would want to jump to CUSA at this point.
Good news. At least this should stop the bleeding for a while.
bh2oson aka Bill Waterson

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:25 pm

This is potentially huge news for the Sun Belt and App. Word is the AAC is pretty upset with CUSA trying to kill the Sun Belt and expand to 16. JMU will really be on the clock if this revenue split is agreed upon.

Add this $1 Million in with the Sun Belt TV deal and we have made up nearly 1/2 of the additional $3.5 million increase we need to make to our budget.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:49 pm

JTApps1 wrote:This is potentially huge news for the Sun Belt and App. Word is the AAC is pretty upset with CUSA trying to kill the Sun Belt and expand to 16. JMU will really be on the clock if this revenue split is agreed upon.

Add this $1 Million in with the Sun Belt TV deal and we have made up nearly 1/2 of the additional $3.5 million increase we need to make to our budget.
Just posted this in the other thread about this but this was a shot across the bow of CUSA (Whatcha Talking About Expanding!!!) and I'll bet Benson did a little happy dance when it was announced. We'll see where things end up when the big boys decide what they are going to do but, as has been said above, this should slow down things for a bit and make a few rethink positions, moves, and move-ups.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:04 pm

This is also a boost for FCS and I think that is a good thing. There are still a lot of teams out there who need to play above div 2 but not FBS. I wish the SOCON and the rest good luck and hope this helps them.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Greed just took a hit......finally....

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Gonzo wrote:
moehler wrote:Ill play devils advocate, if adding certain teams will directly be benifical to a better tv contract, then you add those teams, take the guaranteed increased tv money, and dont worry about the playoff money.
Sounds like the CUSA we all know and love: forsake all decent football for the sole purpose of grabbing as many TV markets as possible.

By the time we're bowl eligible CUSA might be playing ball on par with the Big South.

CUSA is a whore. My opinion of that conference has really tanked but I'm sure it will reverse course if we end up there ;) The bitter taste will always be there though. Love can be so fleeting as I remember when I had that warm fuzzy feeling about the SoCon before they started lowering the bar.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:13 pm

moehler wrote:if this passes its a huge game changer, Im sure USA will vote against it, SBC will vote for it, stand your ground SBC, fight the good fight!!!
It would be such a thing of beauty.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:22 pm

appstate77 wrote:Greed just took a hit......finally....
Not necessarily so - the Go5 is just protecting its meager piece of the pie. They are self-imposing limits to maximize revenues and doing it in a legal way.
Give 'em hell!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:28 am

Pool A doesn't change much. TV contracts still make CUSA more money than the difference. However that TV contract is up for renewal in three years. If they fall on their face in the Group of Five, then it's not good for them.

Pool B and C do make a big difference. If the Sun Belt does a revenue split like the MWC is doing, that means 50% of the $25-26 million (projected to increase) to the team that made the playoff and the other 50% split between the rest, so at worst another million and some change.

Still, that's a million and change more than what we could get in FCS.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:41 am

Gonzo wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... evenue-cap

The Group of Five is talking about capping the new playoff pay out at $12 Million. IMO this makes expanding to 16 a no-go for the hungry hungry hippos of CUSA.

"Conference USA, with 14 members, would split the same $12 million as the Sun Belt, Mountain West and AAC, each with 12 members by 2015. (The MAC is at 13 members.) Two sources said part of the decision was based on conference realignment. The equal split, in theory, deters conferences from raiding each other because that distribution number isn't going to grow with more teams."

Not to mention that SBC schools will officially get more $ after this new cap since CUSA has to split their $12 Mill 14 ways. Unless there's a massive discrepancy in TV $ that I'm not aware of, I don't see why any Sun Belt school would want to jump to CUSA at this point.
Thanks for posting. I was getting tired of reading the speculative desperation postings about scenarios in which App would be one of the teams poached by CUSA.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:05 am

T-Dog wrote:Pool A doesn't change much. TV contracts still make CUSA more money than the difference. However that TV contract is up for renewal in three years. If they fall on their face in the Group of Five, then it's not good for them.

Pool B and C do make a big difference. If the Sun Belt does a revenue split like the MWC is doing, that means 50% of the $25-26 million (projected to increase) to the team that made the playoff and the other 50% split between the rest, so at worst another million and some change.

Still, that's a million and change more than what we could get in FCS.
For people that are supposed to be highly educated some of these school administrators can't seem to get a handle on reality. With over 50% of the schools gone - and the bigger market schools at that - from when the current deal was signed, no way CUSA gets another TV deal like the existing one. The dollars per school will not be appreciably larger and could possibly be less than in the SB due to the larger number of hands in the pot. WKU's move may turn out costing them cash.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:51 am

kiddbrewer wrote:Good, I picture CUSA as that woman on welfare back in the day. The more babies you pop out, the more money you get. This ought to stop that and keep them at 14.

What do you mean, "back in the Day?"

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:59 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
moehler wrote:if this happens, all of the sudden our administaion looks like genesis getting us in the SBC. If this passes, moving up in the future will be all but impossible, mid conferences will probably cap at 12. Again the wild card will be tv contracts, but I just cant see USA getting an increase in tv contracts becouse they add 2 more teams. James Madision better get off their asses and beg the SBC for admittence.
:lol: Wouldn't go that far.
I wouldn't go that far either but it does make the Sun Belt a better deal (or at least a done deal) from our point. Not only does this hurt CUSA from the point of carrying too many members based on $/school, but missing out on a couple football schools in favor of media markets could really hurt them on the back end since Pool B is paying out based on ranking.

I also wasn't sure if this quote was correct "Conference USA is in the process of adding Old Dominion in 2014 and Charlotte in 2015 from FCS" ... was Charlotte ever really a FCS school?

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Maddog1956 wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:
moehler wrote:if this happens, all of the sudden our administaion looks like genesis getting us in the SBC. If this passes, moving up in the future will be all but impossible, mid conferences will probably cap at 12. Again the wild card will be tv contracts, but I just cant see USA getting an increase in tv contracts becouse they add 2 more teams. James Madision better get off their asses and beg the SBC for admittence.
I wouldn't go that far either but it does make the Sun Belt a better deal (or at least a done deal) from our point. Not only does this hurt CUSA from the point of carrying too many members based on $/school, but missing out on a couple football schools in favor of media markets could really hurt them on the back end since Pool B is paying out based on ranking.

I also wasn't sure if this quote was correct "Conference USA is in the process of adding Old Dominion in 2014 and Charlotte in 2015 from FCS" ... was Charlotte ever really a FCS school?
If I'm not mistaken they are an FCS "independent" this season.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:30 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:
Maddog1956 wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:

If I'm not mistaken they are an FCS "independent" this season.
You would be correct on that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”