Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:01 am

TheMoody1 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:08 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:52 am
S.Lewis15 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:11 pm
youtube tv
I've looked at youtubeTV for my area (York, SC) and their website indicates I can get all ESPN's, ACC/SEC/BTN, my local channels, plus a lot of others that I watch for $49.99 a month. Do you find this to be true? If so is it worthy? Is it an intro price and then it's gonna jack up to $100 later on? We're looking to cut DirecTV in January when my latest contract us up.
My son has YouTubeTv and it is as advertised. No intro price.No contract. I called to ditch my DirecTv but they lowered my bill to $49 for 12 months so I am sticking with them for now.
Same. Had Directv for over 15 years, just moved in August and told them I was tired of their random increases and aggressive offers to new clients instead of someone who was loyal. They called back the next day and threw the kitchen sink at me to stay. I've got all of my grandfathered channels plus Sunday Ticket, MLB. NBA for less than Hulu. The guy put it to auto-renew, so we shall see.
The Appalachian State

BeauFoster
School: Appalachian State

Re: I've put it off long enough

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:39 am

We had DirecTV Now for about 2 years, dropped it in July because of a price increase/dropping channels. Plus they dropped WatchESPN last year and that ticked me off. The service was going downhill and obviously AT&T is looking to kill it. We ended up going back to Spectrum for cable. I didn't really want to, but I did the trials of YouTubeTV and Playstation VUE and wasn't in love with either enough to commit. At some point I'll probably try Hulu again and see if I like it enough to cut the cord (again).
Give 'em hell!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:51 am

Disney+ is an incredible deal for the amount of big movie content. I grabbed a year of it for $70 so monthly it is less than $6. If you grew up in the '80s or 90's it's got a ton of the old morning and afternoon cartoons.

The Hulu, disney+, espn+ package basically gives you ESPN+ for free. It wasn't enough for me as espn+ is a replacer for ESPN, it's just an addon. I also don't care for the paywall stories that end up on twitter faster than they can paywall them.

I haven't had cable tv via spectrum or any streaming service since 2005 and haven't missed those bills even once. All I pay for is the internet, Netflix, disney+, and Hulu.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 am

appdaze wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:51 am
Disney+ is an incredible deal for the amount of big movie content. I grabbed a year of it for $70 so monthly it is less than $6. If you grew up in the '80s or 90's it's got a ton of the old morning and afternoon cartoons.

The Hulu, disney+, espn+ package basically gives you ESPN+ for free. It wasn't enough for me as espn+ is a replacer for ESPN, it's just an addon. I also don't care for the paywall stories that end up on twitter faster than they can paywall them.

I haven't had cable tv via spectrum or any streaming service since 2005 and haven't missed those bills even once. All I pay for is the internet, Netflix, disney+, and Hulu.
Verizon is offering a free year of Disney+ for subscribers with unlimited plans.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:36 am

Before I'd cancel I'd call your provider and see if they'll negotiate a deal. I've renegotiated with DirecTV twice and have gotten mine lowered to $50/mth each time. They'll probably try to offer you movie channels...but I told them flat out I didn't want movie channels, I wanted a lower price.

As far as which service...I tried YouTube TV and it worked well although I did notice a slight decrease in picture quality from satellite/cable. I didn't try Hulu because I had the deal in place from DirecTV by that time. I believe all of the streaming services offer you some sort of free trial..so try them and see which you like best. You'll need a device to run them through (I recommend Roku). ESPN+ is a separate subscription...but you can run it through any device that you stream through, as long as it's a version that has the ESPN app

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:48 am

NO.2 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 am
appdaze wrote:

Verizon is offering a free year of Disney+ for subscribers with unlimited plans.
We just use a shared data plan instead of unlimited. Unlimited is quite expensive when the average person doesn't even use 4G of data a month. Unless you pay for one of the upper unlimited plans then your data can get throttled if you are on a congested tower. They don't call what they do throttling, they refer to it as prioritizing. Aka if you pay for a higher plan your signal gets priority over others.

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:40 am

I've been with YouTubeTV for about a year now after switching from SlingTV. Sling did not provide locals and in my area PBS, NBS and Fox were spotty at best. I really like how you can share 1 subscription with up to 5 people and they basically get their own account. Conceivably, I could split the price with them and make it cheaper. That along with Amazon (on a student discount), NetFlix, ESPN+ (50% discount for the year subscription), Disney+ and CBS All Access, I'm all in for under $70 a month. My sister pays for a couple in exchange for sharing my YouTube account.
I will end up getting Starz for Outlander and gotta get HBO for a month since I haven't seen the last season of the Game of Thrones yet. But that's another good example of streaming, you can turn them on and turn them off whenever you desire.
And I want to add, I'm holding out for 5G service through my cellphone carrier. Once I get that, I will dump Spectrum internet and use my phone as a hot spot.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Has anybody tried Shadowbox?

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:36 pm

I cut the cable cord about 2 years ago. I dropped Direct TV Now (AT&T) in May due to price increases and channel cuts. I've been on PlaystationVue (Sony killing the service 1/31/20.) At the time I subscribed to PS Vue, YouTube TV didn't work on a FireStick. That changed on 9/30 so I will be going with YouTube TV soon. I will get all my local channels here in the Triad (Hulu TV Live doesn't have the local ABC affiliate.) I also have ESPN+, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney+ (free for a year thanks to Verizon.) I'm saving about $100/month compared to having cable.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:30 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 am
appdaze wrote:

Yet they were offering BOGO for iPhone 11 4 months ago for new subscribers and this loyal customer (17+ years) got zip. Now AT and T has my cell service and we got 2 new iPhone XR, two-fer. Verizon never offered to keep us or a BOGO.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”