Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Spring Tour

JTApps1
School: Appalachian State

Spring Tour

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 pm

There hasn't been much talk on here about the Spring Tour. There is a new price structure that gives a discount to YC members. We're signed up for the Chralotte event next week at Sugar Creek Brewing.

http://www.appstatesports.com/ViewArtic ... =211538292

Who all is going?
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Appftw

Re: Spring Tour

Unread post by Appftw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:33 pm

I'll be there. I work 10 min away from Sugar Creek.

ASUBlack Diamond

Unread post by ASUBlack Diamond » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:10 pm

The wife and I will be there. We always have a great time at these events. We are looking forward to it. Everyone spread the word and let your fellow APP fans know about the event.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:46 pm

I'll be at the Bond Brothers one in Cary which is right across from where I work. For those of you in or near the Triangle, Bond Brothers was voted best new brewery in US by USA Today and their beer is quite tasty! http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/bes ... wery-2017/
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:11 pm

Coming to Hickory at lunch. Can't make lunch. To bad,I wanted to go

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:31 pm

The dates of the Spring Tour make it very difficult for me to attend. There's just something about mid-April that makes me want to work 100 hours a week. :) The closest one to me is an hour and a half away from my office during the day in Hickory. As much as I love Yosef, I won't make a spring tour event this year unless I drive 4-5 hours to Raleigh or Atlanta.

Y'all toss one back for me. I'll see you after the last tax return leaves the office.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:09 am

Very well done event in CLT last night. Food, logistics, assess to coaches and admin all well done. Lots of great pictures of the north endzone facility on display and a little talk about the WHS property as well.

Lots of new faces in the AD offices which I'm excited about as well.

North endzone complex plan for now is to house all football operations, loge (small open air boxes) and club seats, dining hall (serve as YC room on gamedays)!!!, and a private/public heath services center on the parking lot side of the building. Nothing set in stone, but the plans appear to be getting fairly refined.

Can't say how lucky we are to have DG and staff right now. And it is so easy to be a proud alum when our coaches speak, especially Satt. he talked so much about what those student athletes are doing off the field and how they are learning to be so much more to society once they graduate.

If you have a chance attend the event near you and thank the coaches and admin for impact they are making.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Saint - What encompasses "all football operations"? - David Jackson gave me and my wife a tour of the new fieldhouse/pressbox complex several years ago and there were many football meetings rooms, offices, etc., - those the kind of things I am asking about ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:13 pm

Sounds like weight room and locker room, unsure about coaches offices, but that would make sense. Unsure if they'd have enough room for the meeting rooms in the new space.

appfan83

Unread post by appfan83 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:07 pm

This makes Pete Hogwallop line run through my mind, "That don't make no sense." I can understand moving the weight room since it is on the second floor of the stadium complex, but what about the training room and all the therapy pools and so forth. The very nice lockers and all that nice looking rock trim on the columns for the team. Wouldn't there be a need for two lockers rooms in the remodeled Owen Field House for both home and visitors. Referees dressing room and showers also. Please don't shoot me, just thoughts of all those BB's rolling around in my shallow mind.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:34 pm

My initial reaction was the same, I asked why would we move locker rooms, said they were still assessing the space, nothing set in stone yet, just consistent themes with the health care facility, dining hall, and weight room from the last time. I have faith in DG to get the most out of the space.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:07 am

One VERY good reason to move the locker room is because it causes a big backup of people trying to get to/from the hill every time the team has to get out/in from the field. Logistically it was a pretty dumb idea to put the locker room where it currently is despite being very nice. One thing they want to do is make it easy for fans to walk around the entire stadium by connecting the new building to the east and west concourses so it would make sense to eliminate a big road block due to the locker room.

The current building is very nice and has a lot of good features, but the layout was very poorly thought out. We should have built and end zone building that has basically the bottom 3 floors of the AAC, and then built just a 3 level press box.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

appfan83

Unread post by appfan83 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:30 am

Well ASU faithful, I had my Triad Spring Tour moment earlier this week April 10, 2017. My wife and I visited a Greensboro restaurant on the corner of Battleground Ave, and Cotswald Drive at the Big Burger Spot. I had completed a podiatrist appointment and we walked in and there was a gentleman sporting a white Appalachian cap. I spoke kindly on his tremendous taste in head wear. I told him that I was a '83 grad, he thanked me for the compliment. We ordered our food and sat down at the table next to him and his friend who a Duke fan or graduate and I don't remember which because I was interested in talking to him. He then told me that his name was Charlie Barnes and that he played basketball for Appalachian from 1970 to 1974 under Coaches Bob Light and Pres Maravich. He told me that he returned to App in '81- '82 to complete his graduate degree. He asked me if I was coming to the Spring tour stop in Greensboro and I told him regrettable I was not due to having to spend the next couple of days in order to get a head start on my foot ulcer to begin healing. He asked if I was an Yosef Club member? I said that I was for several years after my graduation in Fall '83 but life happened and I couldn't continue, however I rejoined last year and renewed the year also. He asked if I had been to the football games. I told him that my last game that I attended was the homecoming game 1996. He told me that I wouldn't recognize the campus now and I agreed. Well, we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. This was my Spring Tour experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:18 pm

I worked with Charlie Barnes at Page HS before I left. And I also ran into him when they recognized many of the "old timers" at a basketball game this past year.

He's a great guy and I have always enjoyed talking to him.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:30 pm

Charlie is a Mountaineer Black and Gold all the way thru. We went to high school together, Kings Moutain Mountaineers Black and Gold. Then on to App for more fun. He in bball, me in fb. I bet he was smiling the whole time.
Bring Your A Game!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:20 am

I was at App w Charlie and Stan. Jake the Fake was in the dorm room next to mine and Larry Dudas was one of my fraternity brothers. I had no idea Charlie was so invested. Thrilled to hear it.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Tue May 09, 2017 7:25 am

Went to the program last night in Cary. It was my first time, but I walked away extremely impressed with the event and looking forward to future year events. For those of you on the fence on whether or not its something to do, DO IT! It was casual, but professional. The entire staff did a great job and were completely engaging. Julia Adams was there and it was great to see her. DG, SS, JF, AE, KS and others mingled with the crowd. I got to speak with each of them and never felt rushed or like they were looking for the next person to spend time with.

For any App fan, it's a great event and one I would strongly encourage everyone to go to.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”