Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Lil Wayne in an App State Basketball jersey

kickass143
School: Appalachian State

Re: Lil Wayne in an App State Basketball jersey

Unread post by kickass143 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Springsteen played Varsity Gym in April 1976. Did anyone on here see that show?

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:24 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
CVAPP wrote:Let's expand further. The best show I ever witnessed at an App sponsored venue was Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at the Holmes Center in March 2003. The second best was Indigo Girls at Legends many years prior. The worst was the iconic but tragically inebriated Bob Dylan at Varsity.

Is that really an App basketball jersey? I would have never guessed from the picture.
I never new Dylan played in Boone. That's pretty cool.
Yep, the idea is/was pretty awesome. Unfortunately his performance was a zero on a scale of 1-5, and I write this having seen plenty of performances. If I recall correctly, it is rumored that Jimmy Buffett had a lackluster performance at Varsity as well. That's just recollection as it was before my time and I did not attend. I am sure others here can confirm or comment on my recollection of this rumor.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:52 am

I remember the Wailers playing legends in the late 1980s. By this point Bob Marley was a few years dead, but some of the members of the band had played with Bob Marley, such as "Family Man" Barrett.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:09 pm

kickass143 wrote:Springsteen played Varsity Gym in April 1976. Did anyone on here see that show?
I'm gonna tell a story an App alum I worked with as a soccer ref a few years ago told me about that show.

His roommate was one of the students who helped to book Bruce. He played the show, then afterward, Bruce went to the coffee shop on campus (don't know what it was back then) and ended up playing an hour acoustic set there for a few people and this guy told me it was every bit as good as the live show. Later on, he heads back to the dorm and on his roommate's desk is a note saying "Hey xxxx, thanks for the dimebags. -Bruce" Turns out that was "payment" for the impromptu coffee shop show.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:11 pm

CVAPP wrote:
NoLongerLurking wrote:
CVAPP wrote:Let's expand further. The best show I ever witnessed at an App sponsored venue was Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at the Holmes Center in March 2003. The second best was Indigo Girls at Legends many years prior. The worst was the iconic but tragically inebriated Bob Dylan at Varsity.

Is that really an App basketball jersey? I would have never guessed from the picture.
I never new Dylan played in Boone. That's pretty cool.
Yep, the idea is/was pretty awesome. Unfortunately his performance was a zero on a scale of 1-5, and I write this having seen plenty of performances. If I recall correctly, it is rumored that Jimmy Buffett had a lackluster performance at Varsity as well. That's just recollection as it was before my time and I did not attend. I am sure others here can confirm or comment on my recollection of this rumor.
Dylan wasn't even a good musician in his early Newport Festival days...... I'd like to see him before he dies more as a poet with a band.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:44 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote: Dylan wasn't even a good musician in his early Newport Festival days...... I'd like to see him before he dies more as a poet with a band.
Glad to say I marked that off my bucket list almost 30 years ago. Needless to say he was far from poetic. For you I hope mileage may vary.
Last edited by CVAPP on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:11 pm

I saw Dylan in Charlotte around the same time he played Varsity, he was great, did a mostly acoustic set including his hits. He had a burr in his ass in Boone and decided to do alternate arrangements and obscure stuff. I recall one of the only songs that was recognizable was Like a Rolling Stone which he did a rockin electric version of. The rest was a total waste.

I really wish PB Scotts had still been around when I was in Boone, sounds like a awesome music scene.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:17 pm

huskie3 wrote:
MtnMan09 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:We need to bring back Rally Weekend
I'm not sure what this is, but it sounds rowdy. Regale us with your knowledge of old.
Yes, did get rowdy. Students came from other schools and things did get out of hand. Some good groups playing.
Our last Rally Weekend: Roy Buchanan, Mountain, Edgar Winter Group, James Gang. Awesome Friday/Saturday line up that ended the Rallys. Over $5k damage to VG by outsiders, spoons and syringes under the bleachers, used condoms all over. The Yosef statue in the lobby was damaged.

Some of the acts who came back in the early-mid 70's: Linda Ronstadt, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Seals and Croft, Gregg Allman, Crosby Stills and Nash, Springsteen, Bonnie Raitt, and the cost was only $6-7 per ticket. For a rousing good dance floor kicking good time, in BKG there was Chairmen of the Board, the Spontanes, or the Spongetones.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:09 am

scatman77 wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
MtnMan09 wrote:
I'm not sure what this is, but it sounds rowdy. Regale us with your knowledge of old.
Yes, did get rowdy. Students came from other schools and things did get out of hand. Some good groups playing.
Our last Rally Weekend: Roy Buchanan, Mountain, Edgar Winter Group, James Gang. Awesome Friday/Saturday line up that ended the Rallys. Over $5k damage to VG by outsiders, spoons and syringes under the bleachers, used condoms all over. The Yosef statue in the lobby was damaged.

Some of the acts who came back in the early-mid 70's: Linda Ronstadt, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Seals and Croft, Gregg Allman, Crosby Stills and Nash, Springsteen, Bonnie Raitt, and the cost was only $6-7 per ticket. For a rousing good dance floor kicking good time, in BKG there was Chairmen of the Board, the Spontanes, or the Spongetones.
Mike, how do you know they were only outsiders?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:19 pm

NewApp wrote:
scatman77 wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
MtnMan09 wrote:

Mike, how do you know they were only outsiders?
The outsiders comment was more of a guess, fueled by the university's opinion. The university figured that was the cause and stopped future Rally Weekends. I know that with other concerts there was never all that damage or obvious drug use (emphasis on obvious).
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

sttom

Unread post by sttom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:17 pm

erd1028 wrote:Best concert was 1986, Joan Jett and the Black Hearts at Happys/Legends. Anyone who was there will know what I am talking about.
I was there and concur!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”