Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Lil Wayne in an App State Basketball jersey

kiddbrewer
School: Appalachian State

Re: Lil Wayne in an App State Basketball jersey

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:26 pm

firemoose wrote:
firemoose wrote:
kiddbrewer wrote:
T-Dog wrote:App Stats concerts

Lil Wayne - 1
Eric Church - 0
I want to say he played in the Holmes Center about 5 years ago... give or take.
2009. When his second album "Carolina" was released. Think it was at Legends though but I could be wrong.
This was bugging me. I have no idea why it was because I have lots more important things on my mind but it was so I did some digging. Below are the references I found.

2006:
Appstate.edu University News:
http://www.news.appstate.edu/2006/09/11/eric-church/

Eric Church performs Sept. 23 at Appalachian
Posted September 11, 2006 at 10:27 am · By ASU News
BOONE—Country music recording artist Eric Church performs Sept. 23 at 9 p.m. at Legends on the Appalachian State University campus.
Tickets are $8 in advance for Appalachian students and $12 for all others. Tickets are available online by visiting http://www.apps.appstate.edu. Call the Plemmons Student Union ticket counter at (828) 262-3030 for more information. Admission is limited to those age 18 or older.
Church is a 2000 graduate of Appalachian’s Walker College of Business. After graduating from the university, the Granite Falls native moved to Nashville to pursue his dream of being a songwriter and musician.
His hit single “How ‘Bout You” went to the Billboard Country Music Chart’s Top 10 in July,and his second single “2 Pink Lines” recently entered the charts.
“Honesty is my No. 1 responsibility,” says Church in a bio released by Capitol Records. “If you listen to this, you’ll find out who I am.”
He first signed with Sony/ATV Tree as a songwriter, which led to an introduction to producer Jay Joyce. After recording some demos, his partnership with Capitol Records began.
“I feel like we’re saying something,” Church says of his album “Sinners Like Me.”
“These are songs about what’s going on in the world. And I think we’ve made an honest record,” he said. “I don’t think there’s a song on there that’s not me.”
Those 21 years old or older may bring beer or wine to Legends; however, there is a six-pack limit of beer (72 ounces) or wine coolers or a 750 ml. bottle of unfortified wine per person. A picture I.D. must be shown at the door.

2009:
https://northcarolinamusichalloffame.or ... oggle-id-1
North Carolina Music Hall of Fame-Biography Link
"Eric Church’s second album, Carolina, was released in 2009. For this album, Church performed a concert at Appalachian State University. All of the songs on that album were co-written by Church and there were three singles from that album, two of which, “Love Your Love the Most” and “Hell on the Heart” both reached the top ten on Billboard’s Country Singles chart."

March 25th 2009: Welcome to Granite Falls town site:
http://www.granitefallsnc.com/ericchurch.html

The acoustic performance featured three songs and served as a warmup for Church prior to his show to Winston-Salem later that night. The 31-year-old country singer/songwriter was set to perform at the Millennium Center in Winston-Salem some 24 hours after a performance at Legends on the Boone campus of Appalachian State University, where Church earned a marketing degree.

Based on these reports it seems that there have been two at Legends. Sept 23rd 2006 and March 24th 2009.
Thanks Moose, I knew he was up there, but thought he was at Holmes and didn't realize it was that long ago.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:55 pm

Let's expand further. The best show I ever witnessed at an App sponsored venue was Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at the Holmes Center in March 2003. The second best was Indigo Girls at Legends many years prior. The worst was the iconic but tragically inebriated Bob Dylan at Varsity.

Is that really an App basketball jersey? I would have never guessed from the picture.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:32 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:Sister Hazel were at Legends also around that time and The Bangles around my dad's time at App

I feel old. I was at the Bangles show. The Hoodoo Gurus opened for them.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:35 am

Appftw wrote:The tour is called the Kampus Krash tour. ...
So close, Lil Wayne, so close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2oFuURWIc
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:56 am

appst89 wrote:
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:Sister Hazel were at Legends also around that time and The Bangles around my dad's time at App

You feel old ? I just went to PB Scotts in BR and saw performers like New Riders of the Purple Sage, BB King, Jerry Jeff Walker, The Dixie Dregs, Molly Hatchett, Ricky Scaggs, Mike Cross, Doc Watson, Emmy Lou Harris, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Harry Chapin, Bonnie Raitt, George Thoroughgood, and Wynton Marsalis. Yeah, all of those folks were in Blowing Rock at one time or another. Fun times. 8-)

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:10 pm

firemoose wrote:
firemoose wrote:
kiddbrewer wrote:
T-Dog wrote:App Stats concerts

Lil Wayne - 1
Eric Church - 0
I want to say he played in the Holmes Center about 5 years ago... give or take.
2009. When his second album "Carolina" was released. Think it was at Legends though but I could be wrong.
This was bugging me. I have no idea why it was because I have lots more important things on my mind but it was so I did some digging. Below are the references I found.

2006:
Appstate.edu University News:
http://www.news.appstate.edu/2006/09/11/eric-church/

Eric Church performs Sept. 23 at Appalachian
Posted September 11, 2006 at 10:27 am · By ASU News
BOONE—Country music recording artist Eric Church performs Sept. 23 at 9 p.m. at Legends on the Appalachian State University campus.
Tickets are $8 in advance for Appalachian students and $12 for all others. Tickets are available online by visiting http://www.apps.appstate.edu. Call the Plemmons Student Union ticket counter at (828) 262-3030 for more information. Admission is limited to those age 18 or older.
Church is a 2000 graduate of Appalachian’s Walker College of Business. After graduating from the university, the Granite Falls native moved to Nashville to pursue his dream of being a songwriter and musician.
His hit single “How ‘Bout You” went to the Billboard Country Music Chart’s Top 10 in July,and his second single “2 Pink Lines” recently entered the charts.
“Honesty is my No. 1 responsibility,” says Church in a bio released by Capitol Records. “If you listen to this, you’ll find out who I am.”
He first signed with Sony/ATV Tree as a songwriter, which led to an introduction to producer Jay Joyce. After recording some demos, his partnership with Capitol Records began.
“I feel like we’re saying something,” Church says of his album “Sinners Like Me.”
“These are songs about what’s going on in the world. And I think we’ve made an honest record,” he said. “I don’t think there’s a song on there that’s not me.”
Those 21 years old or older may bring beer or wine to Legends; however, there is a six-pack limit of beer (72 ounces) or wine coolers or a 750 ml. bottle of unfortified wine per person. A picture I.D. must be shown at the door.

2009:
https://northcarolinamusichalloffame.or ... oggle-id-1
North Carolina Music Hall of Fame-Biography Link
"Eric Church’s second album, Carolina, was released in 2009. For this album, Church performed a concert at Appalachian State University. All of the songs on that album were co-written by Church and there were three singles from that album, two of which, “Love Your Love the Most” and “Hell on the Heart” both reached the top ten on Billboard’s Country Singles chart."

March 25th 2009: Welcome to Granite Falls town site:
http://www.granitefallsnc.com/ericchurch.html

The acoustic performance featured three songs and served as a warmup for Church prior to his show to Winston-Salem later that night. The 31-year-old country singer/songwriter was set to perform at the Millennium Center in Winston-Salem some 24 hours after a performance at Legends on the Boone campus of Appalachian State University, where Church earned a marketing degree.

Based on these reports it seems that there have been two at Legends. Sept 23rd 2006 and March 24th 2009.

If honesty is his number one responsibility then he needs to go back and check some stuff from "My Hometown". Granite Falls is next to nothing like he described in that song.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Rekdiver wrote:We need to bring back Rally Weekend
I'm not sure what this is, but it sounds rowdy. Regale us with your knowledge of old.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Isn't Mr Wayne the subject of a big drug investigation by the Feds in Florida?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:24 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:Isn't Mr Wayne the subject of a big drug investigation by the Feds in Florida?
Seems he should've played Lees-McRae.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Best shows I saw on campus were in Varsity Gym before there was a Holmes Center. Spin Doctors played Boone, I think the week Two Princes hit Top 10 on the charts. James Taylor is always a good show.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:02 pm

RIP General Johnson but luckily I was able to see him perform for many years at Legends when Chairmen of the Board would make their annual trip to the High Country.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:35 pm

MtnMan09 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:We need to bring back Rally Weekend
I'm not sure what this is, but it sounds rowdy. Regale us with your knowledge of old.
Yes, did get rowdy. Students came from other schools and things did get out of hand. Some good groups playing.
Bring Your A Game!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:52 am

CVAPP wrote:Let's expand further. The best show I ever witnessed at an App sponsored venue was Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at the Holmes Center in March 2003. The second best was Indigo Girls at Legends many years prior. The worst was the iconic but tragically inebriated Bob Dylan at Varsity.

Is that really an App basketball jersey? I would have never guessed from the picture.
I didn't know he was inebriated but that Dylan show is the worst concert I have ever witnessed, and I've been to a bunch. Second place goes to a very, very inebriated Hank Williams Jr at a show in Bristol TN around 1980. That's also the scariest crowd I have ever been around at a concert.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:08 am

MDaniels84 wrote:
appst89 wrote:

You feel old ? I just went to PB Scotts in BR and saw performers like New Riders of the Purple Sage, BB King, Jerry Jeff Walker, The Dixie Dregs, Molly Hatchett, Ricky Scaggs, Mike Cross, Doc Watson, Emmy Lou Harris, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Harry Chapin, Bonnie Raitt, George Thoroughgood, and Wynton Marsalis. Yeah, all of those folks were in Blowing Rock at one time or another. Fun times. 8-)
Those were the days!

erd1028

Unread post by erd1028 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:19 am

Best concert was 1986, Joan Jett and the Black Hearts at Happys/Legends. Anyone who was there will know what I am talking about.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:53 am

Mountain James Gang Edgar Winter and Varsity Gym full of "smoke". Rally Weekend. Sanford Mall bands in front of Watauga dorm. Cases of Busch beer....infamous streak of my fraternity brother captured on camera memorialized on the wall of the Student Union....Those were the days!

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Widespread Panic 1995 at Horn in the West.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Dylan in Varsity was indeed horrible. Some of the most fun I remember having was Awareness Art Ensemble at Happys.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:33 pm

CVAPP wrote:Let's expand further. The best show I ever witnessed at an App sponsored venue was Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at the Holmes Center in March 2003. The second best was Indigo Girls at Legends many years prior. The worst was the iconic but tragically inebriated Bob Dylan at Varsity.

I never new Dylan played in Boone. That's pretty cool.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:36 pm

I really enjoyed Gillan Welch and Dave Rawlings in 2001ish, also Dr. Ralph Stanley around the same time. Best musicians I've seen at App were the Punch Brothers, and the Avett Bros show last year was pretty special.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”