Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Funding - AppState is already cut to the bone and one of most efficient UNC schools

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

Funding - AppState is already cut to the bone and one of most efficient UNC schools

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:32 am

A look at UNC system budget for AppState, UNCA and Western:

http://carolinapublicpress.org/27187/ho ... -campuses/

AppState already does more with less $$$ from the NC legislature than any other UNC school.

Funding per student has dropped by almost 20% in the last few years and now will likely be cut even more:

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news ... /85320742/

UNC System has been the economic engine for NC for the past 50 years.

3rd

Re: Funding - AppState is already cut to the bone and one of most efficient UNC schools

Unread post by 3rd » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:55 am

This is what happens when you constantly piss off the people that pay the bills. That is all I will say about this.

Edit
Last edited by 3rd on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bcoach

Re: Funding - AppState is already cut to the bone and one of most efficient UNC schools

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:53 am

3rd wrote:What happens when you constantly piss off the people that pay the bills. That is all I will say about this.
Nothing

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:56 pm

This is a perfect example of what can happen when budgets are cut; throwing money at issues is never a proper solution. When faced with budget cuts, you are forced to adapt or fall behind; I am glad App chose to adapt.

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:11 pm

Gotta love our wonderful legislature. They do such good work

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Wasn't this lottery supposed to help fix this.....

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:11 pm

appmaj wrote:Wasn't this lottery supposed to help fix this.....
The lottery is a shell game.

They used it not to fund new stuff but to replace funds they diverted to God knows what.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Cutting during rough economic times is one thing.... cutting during economic prosperity is fodder for fools. This is the time where investment should be made for the future. The UNC System and Community College System are the best economic growth tool that the state has. The past investment levels produced incredible growth, economic prosperity as well as a favorable and strong worldwide image. This has diminished significantly since the Great Recession. Other states have responded differently and have taken our place.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 pm

I'd be careful looking at a single budget item in a vacuum and forming an opinion, budgeting for a state is a complex issue with many, many variables. There are many deserving factions fighting for a piece of the pie, for a highly simplified example; perhaps this year teachers get a decent pay raise while state troopers don't, but then it's reversed the following year to balance things out. Tough choices have to be made and I am thankful that we're in a position to build up some reserves so that when the next disaster rolls through (like Hurricane Matthew), the state will be in a position to "weather the storm" and help our residents. Contrast that to the federal budget where spending usually far exceeds revenues and the debt is increased every year. The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office issued a report last year stating that (basing this off memory) if current laws on the books stay as they are that our debt will not be sustainable in like 25 years. It'll be less than 25 years if there's a war or other significant economic downturn, already a large percentage of our federal budget goes towards debt payments. I hope that our elected officials (Dems, Repubs, Indies) have the courage and resolve to solve this problem...I'm not pushing one party or the other...I just want fiscally sound policies.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Rekdiver wrote:

They used it not to fund new stuff but to replace funds they diverted to God knows what.
That's exactly what opponents of the NC "Education" Lottery said would happen. This thread has no chance of avoiding politics. It is politics.

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:58 am

CVAPP wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

That's exactly what opponents of the NC "Education" Lottery said would happen. This thread has no chance of avoiding politics. It is politics.

I should have pressed the sarcasm button. It is somewhat amazing that the bill of goods of an education lottery is continuing to be sold to citizens.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:53 am

CVAPP wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

The admins can delete the the thread. Yes, everything about a public university Is based on political funding and political ideology.

Here's another political statement: I am thankful that the NC General Assembly has not followed the lead of some states to control athletic departments.

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:16 am

Rick83 wrote:I'd be careful looking at a single budget item in a vacuum and forming an opinion, budgeting for a state is a complex issue with many, many variables. There are many deserving factions fighting for a piece of the pie, for a highly simplified example; perhaps this year teachers get a decent pay raise while state troopers don't, but then it's reversed the following year to balance things out. Tough choices have to be made and I am thankful that we're in a position to build up some reserves so that when the next disaster rolls through (like Hurricane Matthew), the state will be in a position to "weather the storm" and help our residents. Contrast that to the federal budget where spending usually far exceeds revenues and the debt is increased every year. The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office issued a report last year stating that (basing this off memory) if current laws on the books stay as they are that our debt will not be sustainable in like 25 years. It'll be less than 25 years if there's a war or other significant economic downturn, already a large percentage of our federal budget goes towards debt payments. I hope that our elected officials (Dems, Repubs, Indies) have the courage and resolve to solve this problem...I'm not pushing one party or the other...I just want fiscally sound policies.
Agree that fiscal responsibility is important but, as other posters have correctly mentioned, the best economic driver for our state is education. Diverting funds from paying our public school teachers and/or from our public universities is an incredibly short sighted move.

Your point is ignoring the fact that the GA has created a much smaller pie to start with. They have fixated on lowering the income tax rate and repeatedly prioritized tax cuts for the 1% and big business over funding our most important public institutions.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:27 am

Appdoggy wrote:
Rick83 wrote:I'd be careful looking at a single budget item in a vacuum and forming an opinion, budgeting for a state is a complex issue with many, many variables. There are many deserving factions fighting for a piece of the pie, for a highly simplified example; perhaps this year teachers get a decent pay raise while state troopers don't, but then it's reversed the following year to balance things out. Tough choices have to be made and I am thankful that we're in a position to build up some reserves so that when the next disaster rolls through (like Hurricane Matthew), the state will be in a position to "weather the storm" and help our residents. Contrast that to the federal budget where spending usually far exceeds revenues and the debt is increased every year. The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office issued a report last year stating that (basing this off memory) if current laws on the books stay as they are that our debt will not be sustainable in like 25 years. It'll be less than 25 years if there's a war or other significant economic downturn, already a large percentage of our federal budget goes towards debt payments. I hope that our elected officials (Dems, Repubs, Indies) have the courage and resolve to solve this problem...I'm not pushing one party or the other...I just want fiscally sound policies.
Agree that fiscal responsibility is important but, as other posters have correctly mentioned, the best economic driver for our state is education. Diverting funds from paying our public school teachers and/or from our public universities is an incredibly short sighted move.

Your point is ignoring the fact that the GA has created a much smaller pie to start with. They have fixated on lowering the income tax rate and repeatedly prioritized tax cuts for the 1% and big business over funding our most important public institutions.
North Carolina is one of the fastest growing states in the union. When there are more people to tax, what is the point in raising taxes?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:35 am

bigCasu wrote:
Appdoggy wrote:

North Carolina is one of the fastest growing states in the union. When there are more people to tax, what is the point in raising taxes?
I don't know the answer and I no longer live there so this is just an observation. I don't agree with the NC legislature on a lot of things but whatever they are doing is seems to be working for Raleigh/ Durham. The place is absolutely booming. It is a gigantic traffic jam and they seem to be building on every square inch they can find. No opinion just an observation.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:15 am

HighlandsApp wrote: The admins can delete the the thread. Yes, everything about a public university Is based on political funding and political ideology.

Here's another political statement: I am thankful that the NC General Assembly has not followed the lead of some states to control athletic departments.
It seems like we had a special sub-forum where things of a political nature could be discussed. It was opt-in so those offended by political discussions would not accidentally stumble into harm's way. Maybe I am misremembering and it never existed. Either way, I am not among those offended by politics. Last time I checked, APP has a college that offers degrees in political studies. Religion too.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:23 am

CVAPP wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote: The admins can delete the the thread. Yes, everything about a public university Is based on political funding and political ideology.

It seems like we had a special sub-forum where things of a political nature could be discussed. It was opt-in so those offended by political discussions would not accidentally stumble into harm's way. Maybe I am misremembering and it never existed. Either way, I am not among those offended by politics. Last time I checked, APP has a college that offers degrees in political studies. Religion too.
I would like to see that come back as long as it is civil. I think the moderator justly took it down because it got out of line. I could be wrong but that is my memory of it.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:10 pm

bcoach wrote:
CVAPP wrote:

I would like to see that come back as long as it is civil. I think the moderator justly took it down because it got out of line. I could be wrong but that is my memory of it.
I would not want to be a moderator tasked with keeping such discussions "civil". If it's opt-in for members, and not available at all to the general public, the standard should be more like nothing obscene.

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:24 pm

bigCasu wrote:
Appdoggy wrote:

I can't tell if you're trolling or not... That's a pretty elementary way of looking at it. Clearly this incredible growth in tax payers hasn't been enough, otherwise they wouldn't be cutting funding for our public universities and many other things.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:28 pm

It might just be that there's room, and rationale to cut UNC system budgets. Perhaps a closer look is warranted.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”