Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

HCC Video Board Installation

asu66
School: Appalachian State

HCC Video Board Installation

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:24 pm

[Cautionary Disclaimer: Somewhat snarky post ahead. I have a long memory for some things. Mega-thanks to our athletic director, Doug Gillin, for yet another wayward ship he's putting back on course.]

I/We were told about this time of year 17 years ago that the low-end scoreboards being installed inside HCC were necessitated by pre-construction cost projections that necessitated the redesign of the "arena roof." This "re-design" we were told made the use of a center-hung-over-the-court scoreboard structurally impossible. The storyline fed to us was that the new roof structure was too low-to-the-court to accommodate a conventional overhead scoreboard. :roll:

One of the architects and the on-site general construction foreman told me otherwise. One "in denial" gentleman on the messageboard of those days (who was "close" to the athletic administration) argued vociferously that we were being given straight-up factual info. Virtually everyone knew the real story.

That real story can now be readily discerned unless we're about to be told that the HCC roof structure has recently been jacked up 8-10 feet to make room for this...

http://www.appstatesports.com/galleries/?gallery=1019

Sigh! Happy to get this chip off my shoulder! Doug Gillin rocks!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp

Re: HCC Video Board Installation

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:04 am

Why didn't Charlie Cobb have one put up during his stay with that $50,000,000+ Athletic Enhancement Project? Oh, that's right, he was busy firing Houston Fancher and hiring Jason Capel.
Excuse my snarkiness, too, Chuck. :)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 am

asu66 wrote:[Cautionary Disclaimer: Somewhat snarky post ahead. I have a long memory for some things. Mega-thanks to our athletic director, Doug Gillin, for yet another wayward ship he's putting back on course.]

I/We were told about this time of year 17 years ago that the low-end scoreboards being installed inside HCC were necessitated by pre-construction cost projections that necessitated the redesign of the "arena roof." This "re-design" we were told made the use of a center-hung-over-the-court scoreboard structurally impossible. The storyline fed to us was that the new roof structure was too low-to-the-court to accommodate a conventional overhead scoreboard. :roll:

One of the architects and the on-site general construction foreman told me otherwise. One "in denial" gentleman on the messageboard of those days (who was "close" to the athletic administration) argued vociferously that we were being given straight-up factual info. Virtually everyone knew the real story.

That real story can now be readily discerned unless we're about to be told that the HCC roof structure has recently been jacked up 8-10 feet to make room for this...

http://www.appstatesports.com/galleries/?gallery=1019

Sigh! Happy to get this chip off my shoulder! Doug Gillin rocks!
One thing to note, not trying to stir the pot, but the board that they are installing is likely 1/2 to 1/3 the weight of a board that would have been installed 17 years ago. Also Miss Green Roofs is no longer here to keep the HCC from looking "like an Athletic Facility".

I am still waiting to see what the first Volleyball Match with it up looks like. It is a good bit bigger than I thought it was going to be. I hope that it can be raised high enough for VB and still be seen by the lower rows.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:30 pm

I have resigned myself to them but I have never gotten over the green roofs. I do not like green roofs from Helm Sam I am.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:46 pm

I like the green roofs. I think it ties in all the architecture around campus and that is not something App had going. And it does not stick out against the surrounding mountains and the green trees, in my view.

What would you prefer for a roof?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:25 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:I like the green roofs. I think it ties in all the architecture around campus and that is not something App had going. And it does not stick out against the surrounding mountains and the green trees, in my view.

The ceiling is the roof.

Unread post by 8993 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:53 pm

I'm not sure if there is any validity to this story, but a friend that works at the Physical Plant at Appalachian once told me that there are multiple reasons why the roofs of all of the buildings at App are green. Not only did they want the buildings to blend into the mountains during the summer, but the bottoms of all of our buildings are now a bright red brick, with the roofs being green. From what he told me, one of the original intentions was for the buildings to resemble the colors of an apple (red on the bottom with a green leaf) for APPLE-achian State University.

Maybe he was pulling my leg, but if true, it's pretty clever, if not cheesy.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:05 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:I like the green roofs. I think it ties in all the architecture around campus and that is not something App had going. And it does not stick out against the surrounding mountains and the green trees, in my view.

It was more that she didn't want the "Athletic" colors to be prominent on campus. That is why all the signs for years were green and why instead of the arena having all black or a mix of black and gold it has mostly grey seats.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 am

Who is" she"?

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:15 am

Black.

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:41 am

I graduated yrs ago, but went to my nephew's graduation in May. That arena needs some changes. It's generic. First off, why the grey seats. Black good, gold good, GREY for the majority of seats?? Those cloth flags of the conference teams looks like high school decorum

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:52 am

yosef95 wrote:I graduated yrs ago, but went to my nephew's graduation in May. That arena needs some changes. It's generic. First off, why the grey seats. Black good, gold good, GREY for the majority of seats?? Those cloth flags of the conference teams looks like high school decorum
Because the legislature did not want to fund the center as a primarily athletic facility but rather primarily as multi-purpose facility without the emphasis on athletics. There are those on here who will disagree with that being the case, but I was close to two members who led the efforts to get it. The first attempt at getting a primarily basketball arena was being shot down even before a bunch of rabble rousing idiot students were protesting and getting up petitions against it. Holmes was a compromise.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:54 am

Rekdiver wrote:Who is" she"?
Chuck can tell you.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:05 pm

NewApp wrote:
Chuck can tell you.
Last name an animal?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Jane Helm

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 am

Ok...Never knew her but she was here during Peacock's tenure and Fox was Board Chairman............Somebody could have said "No" if they didnt like the green roofs.....Now a different shade of green other that kelly green might have been nice...........Assume it's supposed to be forest green.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:59 am

Pretty sure all the HCC decisions were made under the Borkowski administration. Helm wasn't in the Peacock administration for long.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:56 am

appst89 wrote:Pretty sure all the HCC decisions were made under the Borkowski administration. Helm wasn't in the Peacock administration for long.
Correct. HCC opened in the '00-'01 b-ball season. Peacock wasn't named Chancellor until '04.

While on topic of the green roofs... how 'bout that "good luck bell?"... :lol:

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:44 pm

NewApp wrote:
Chuck can tell you.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, yes I can. One of my not so "favorite" characters in Appalachian "administration" history. Helm was a Borkowski hire as VC for Business Affairs. She was a complex woman--driven to obtain power and use it to carry out her agenda with little or no concern for those she stepped on to have it her way. Her legacy at Appalachian certainly has green roofed buildings and HCC (Helm's house of a thousand shades of yellow and gray and unappealing events concessions :twisted: ) at the top of her list. She micromanaged her campus "empire" with an iron fist and a "my way or the highway" mentality. She encountered little pushback (she thrived on intimidation of others) on her administrative style until Ken Peacock became chancellor. Their working relationship was something akin to mixing fire and gasoline. In the end, Peacock dismissed her from employment at ASU. She managed to talk him into allowing her to take early retirement to save face. Once that was in place, she filed suit against the university and Peacock. She lost the initial court ruling and her appeal in the NC Court of Appeals. She eventually prevailed in her appeal before the NC Supreme Court and later resurfaced in a Business Affairs role at Delaware State. While at ASU, Helm was a member of the BB&T Board.

http://www.news.appstate.edu/2006/06/14 ... palachian/

http://people.equilar.com/bio/jane-helm ... Uv972jyuM8

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/nc-court-of- ... 50375.html

http://www.pathlaw.com/2009/06/18/helms/
Last edited by asu66 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:50 pm

asu66 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Chuck can tell you.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, yes I can. One of my not so "favorite" characters in Appalachian "administration" history. Helm was a Borkowski hire as VC for Business Affairs. She was a complex woman--driven to obtain power and use it to carry out her agenda with little or no concern for those she stepped on to have it her way. Her legacy at Appalachian certainly has green roofed buildings and HCC (Helm's house of a thousand shades of yellow and gray and unappealing events concessions :twisted: ) at the top of her list. She ruled her campus "empire" with an iron fist and a "my way or the highway" mentality. She encountered little pushback with her administrative style until Ken Peacock became chancellor. Their working relationship was something akin to mixing fire and gasoline. In the end, Peacock dismissed her from employment at ASU. She managed to talk him into allowing her to take early retirement to save face. Once that was in place, she filed suit against the university and Peacock. She lost the initial court ruling and her appeal in the NC Court of Appeals. She eventually prevailed in her appeal before the NC Supreme Court and later resurfaced in a Business Affairs role at Delaware State. While at ASU, Helm was a member of the BB&T Board.

http://www.news.appstate.edu/2006/06/14 ... palachian/

http://people.equilar.com/bio/jane-helm ... Uv972jyuM8

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/nc-court-of- ... 50375.html

http://www.pathlaw.com/2009/06/18/helms/
I knew you could elaborate. She sure did leave her mark on ASU...sissified.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”