Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

AppfaninCAALand
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Richmond, VA
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:41 am

Extended series: ECU, Marshall, Wake, ODU
G5: WKU, FAU, FIU, UCF, USF, Navy, Army, Temple, Toledo, Cincinnati, Memphis, Boise
P5: (that have done G5 H&Hs before) WVU, Georgia Tech, Duke, Vanderbilt, NC State, Va Tech, Virginia
P5 (probably wont do G5 H&H): South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama



User avatar
Wally
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:08 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by Wally » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:16 am

MDaniels84 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:48 am
For G5's , it's UCF, USF, Navy, Army, Memphis, Marshall, Boise and ECU.
P5's to include Virginia, West Virginia, Vandy, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Ga Tech.
Without a doubt, if we include P5s I'd want to see West Virginia... battle of the Mountaineers!



User avatar
hotrod2001
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:26 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:02 am

NewApp wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:04 pm
Harvard or Yale.
Those are FCS teams though.



AAPP1
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:19 am
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by AAPP1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:51 am

I would love to see us go against ND State. I know they are still FCS, but it would be 2 of the best teams to play in that division.



WataugaMan
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:17 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 314 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:33 am

AAPP1 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:51 am
I would love to see us go against ND State. I know they are still FCS, but it would be 2 of the best teams to play in that division.
How about Jimmy Madison?



EastHallApp
Posts: 4627
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1634 times
Been thanked: 1356 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:07 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:33 am
AAPP1 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:51 am
I would love to see us go against ND State. I know they are still FCS, but it would be 2 of the best teams to play in that division.
How about Jimmy Madison?

Playing either of those teams right now would be all risk, no reward.



WataugaMan
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:17 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 314 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:49 pm

And, at the same time, the Savannah States of the world do nothing for us as well. Maybe stay away from FCS all together.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4627
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1634 times
Been thanked: 1356 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:58 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:49 pm
And, at the same time, the Savannah States of the world do nothing for us as well. Maybe stay away from FCS all together.

If you stay away from FCS, you also stay away from any P5 who won't give you a return game.



User avatar
appst89
Site Admin
Posts: 8942
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2000 3:26 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 142 times
Been thanked: 651 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:58 pm

I want a H&H with Washington State. Nothing I'd love more than to see the Pirate of the Palouse in Boone. Wazzu plays in a 36,000 seat stadium, so it wouldn't be like asking Washington or Southern Cal to play in Boone.



WataugaMan
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:17 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 314 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:03 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:58 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:49 pm
And, at the same time, the Savannah States of the world do nothing for us as well. Maybe stay away from FCS all together.

If you stay away from FCS, you also stay away from any P5 who won't give you a return game.
If no ND, Jimmy Madison, and Savannah's who? Teams like Furman, Wofford - "middle of the road" so to speak?



User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 9022
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Almost Heaven Resides: Lollipop Guild Land
Has thanked: 1844 times
Been thanked: 787 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:09 pm

appst89 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:58 pm
I want a H&H with Washington State. Nothing I'd love more than to see the Pirate of the Palouse in Boone. Wazzu plays in a 36,000 seat stadium, so it wouldn't be like asking Washington or Southern Cal to play in Boone.
Doubt he will be at WSU much longer if he keeps winning ---


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

EastHallApp
Posts: 4627
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1634 times
Been thanked: 1356 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:19 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:03 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:58 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:49 pm
And, at the same time, the Savannah States of the world do nothing for us as well. Maybe stay away from FCS all together.

If you stay away from FCS, you also stay away from any P5 who won't give you a return game.
If no ND, Jimmy Madison, and Savannah's who? Teams like Furman, Wofford - "middle of the road" so to speak?
I don't object to playing Savannah State or their ilk. All I want out of an FCS game is a guaranteed win.



WataugaMan
Posts: 2128
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:17 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 314 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:04 pm

I like to win was well, however, at the same time I'd like to see some resemblance of competition. Therefore, we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue.



Yosef84
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 378 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Savannah State simply wasn't even good enough to give us a legit scrimmage. We needed to work some bugs out. While we did get some reps, I think we got a false sense of confidence in our passing game that bit us at Texas State. I do think there is a benefit to playing a team known for playing good football at the FCS level but not national contenders. I would have no problem in throwing a bone to an old SoCon rival or to a local Big South program.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4627
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1634 times
Been thanked: 1356 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:44 pm
Savannah State simply wasn't even good enough to give us a legit scrimmage. We needed to work some bugs out. While we did get some reps, I think we got a false sense of confidence in our passing game that bit us at Texas State. I do think there is a benefit to playing a team known for playing good football at the FCS level but not national contenders. I would have no problem in throwing a bone to an old SoCon rival or to a local Big South program.
I hear you, but if we were overconfident in our passing game at Texas State, it sure wasn't reflected in our playcalling. The passing game did fine in that game once we actually started, you know, throwing passes.



User avatar
moonshine
Posts: 1490
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Country
Has thanked: 206 times
Been thanked: 389 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:28 pm

My list of ideal OOC match-ups:

ECU (check)
Marshall (check)
ODU (check)
UNCC (check)
USM (check)

H&H series I'd like to see in the future: (no particular order)
WKU
MTSU
Memphis
UAB
UCF
USF
Toledo
Ohio
LaTech
Army
Navy
Houston
Air Force
SDSU
Boise

I'd really like to see ECU and Marshall at KBS in the same year. Market it as a "Throwback season" with the following season marketed as "New Marketz Season" against ODU and UNCC at the Rock.


Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

User avatar
SayYesToTheRock
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:23 pm

While the prospect of a guaranteed win (over an FCS) is nice, I argue that our program would benefit more from an additional shot at taking down a P5 or elite G5, especially at home or a nearby away game.

I would trade our yearly FCS game for a shot at big timers like Navy, USF or the regional P5 schools. Wins over P5 or elite G5 teams are what will elevate our program. Boise didn't rise to prominence because they beat Weber State 50-0 every year.


Fear the Mountaineer

huskie3
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2000 9:57 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Gaston County
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:58 am

Boise or Houston


Bring Your A Game!

NewApp
Posts: 3639
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 236 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:32 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:02 am
NewApp wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:04 pm
Harvard or Yale.
Those are FCS teams though.
Yep. Beats the heck out of Savannah State.


Gonzo said: "His high school-aged kids will forgive him for making them move when they park their brand new porches at Chapel Hill High School."

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 9022
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Almost Heaven Resides: Lollipop Guild Land
Has thanked: 1844 times
Been thanked: 787 times

Re: Which OOC G5 Team Would You Want To Play The Most?

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:40 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:32 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:02 am
NewApp wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:04 pm
Harvard or Yale.
Those are FCS teams though.
Yep. Beats the heck out of Savannah State.
The question was G5 ---


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 29 users online :: 0 registered, 1 hidden and 28 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests