Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Dear Dr. Everts

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Dear Dr. Everts

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:30 am
It still mystifies me that some think these classes were open to ALL Students - are you telling me there were only a couple of hundred students a semester at UNC who would have signed up for a Sure A with no class time and no work - even a very conscientious student - which I was not - could have used a little GPA addition from time to time - if you believe these classes were known to an enrollment of 30,000 and only 100 signed up for a sure A - then, as they say, I have a bridge you might be interested in --- Come on guys !!! - my best friend's son was on one of these teams and he took Swahili and 3-4 AFAM courses, told his sister who was a regular student who told a couple of her sorority sisters who needed a GPA boost --- Total JOKE
So you have provided hearsay on how the General population heard about the classes. Can you provide proof that anyone was denied access to the class? I am sure that all of these questions and more were asked by not only the NCAA but also the accedidation team. While you fail to understand how people can believe that these classes weren't really open to everyone, I find it hard to understand those who think that the facts were simply dismissed because they are Carolina. Hat is insulting to those governing bodies and their ability to remain impartial. Come on man. Their are more people in this world that don't care about Carolina sports than do.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:36 am

Problem isn't whether they were cheating or not, they definitely were and probably still are. NCAA is powerless to obtain evidence to support their case. If the FBI had this information and subpoenaed those involved, the endgame would be much different and the offenses not just regulated to the AFAM piece of UNC's broad cheating schemes. I wonder with the FBI's current investigation, NCAA just said, "eff it, give the FBI what we have on UNC, wait til the FBI gets confessions, then burn the place down". It saves the NCAA time and money and gets them off the hook.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 am

94 and 91 I could give a shit about unc and what did or didnt happen to them. My information came directly from a basketball player who was on the early 2000 teams. I have known him since the day he was born so there was no reason to doubt the things he told me. You guys can justify this any way you choose. The Carolina Way has been shown to be a fraud to anyone with a brain
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
It still mystifies me that some think these classes were open to ALL Students - are you telling me there were only a couple of hundred students a semester at UNC who would have signed up for a Sure A with no class time and no work - even a very conscientious student - which I was not - could have used a little GPA addition from time to time - if you believe these classes were known to an enrollment of 30,000 and only 100 signed up for a sure A - then, as they say, I have a bridge you might be interested in --- Come on guys !!! - my best friend's son was on one of these teams and he took Swahili and 3-4 AFAM courses, told his sister who was a regular student who told a couple of her sorority sisters who needed a GPA boost --- Total JOKE
So you have provided hearsay on how the General population heard about the classes. Can you provide proof that anyone was denied access to the class? I am sure that all of these questions and more were asked by not only the NCAA but also the accedidation team. While you fail to understand how people can believe that these classes weren't really open to everyone, I find it hard to understand those who think that the facts were simply dismissed because they are Carolina. Hat is insulting to those governing bodies and their ability to remain impartial. Come on man. Their are more people in this world that don't care about Carolina sports than do.
https://alumni.unc.edu/news/wainstein-c ... ss-scheme/
Not sure about the general population, but here is an article published by UNC that explains how the athletes were steered into the classes. I have read emails that basically stated, due to too many regular students enrolling in these classes they needed to get them reigned in.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:10 am

AppSt94 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/ ... 73428.html
Here is an article that explains how they kept regular students out.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:45 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 am
94 and 91 I could give a shit about unc and what did or didnt happen to them. My information came directly from a basketball player who was on the early 2000 teams. I have known him since the day he was born so there was no reason to doubt the things he told me. You guys can justify this any way you choose. The Carolina Way has been shown to be a fraud to anyone with a brain
So are you saying that anyone that doesn't see the situation the same way that you do doesn't have a brain? Come on Ned. We can disagree on things and be civil.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 pm

No - that's not what I am saying - After hearing a couple of attorneys/sports people like Jay Bilas explain how this was out of the realm of the NCAA I expected minimal penalties (although I did think they would slap them on the wrist) - What rubs me the wrong way are those who claim UNC did nothing wrong - My daughter (APP grad) is a Director of Development for one of the UNC Medical School Divisions where she has to attend a number of UNC functions and she relays to me some of the outrageous comments she hears ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 am

I was at a Boy Scout tailgate for the Asheboro High School football game last Friday night and one of the UNC fans said something like, "It's a shame 'we' had to spend $15 million in lawyer fees to show Carolina was doing it the right way." I just about croaked.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:03 am

NewApp wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 am
I was at a Boy Scout tailgate for the Asheboro High School football game last Friday night and one of the UNC fans said something like, "It's a shame 'we' had to spend $15 million in lawyer fees to show Carolina was doing it the right way." I just about croaked.
It was more like 18 million and since they got to get away with it, they would probably consider it money well spent.

I had one the other day say that it was because the NCAA had no jurisdiction over academics. I asked him if he felt good that UNC was able to cheat the system by creating an illegitimate curriculum and by not self reporting kept it out of the NCAA's jurisdiction. He said what do you mean by illegitimate and I pointed out that they were the only major research university ever put on probation by SACSCOC specifically for this. And after the articles that I referenced earlier, anyone that says it wasn't created for athletics is full of crap.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Just as a side note that is a public university to that was OUR money they spent not theirs.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:49 pm

bcoach wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:29 pm
Just as a side note that is a public university to that was OUR money they spent not theirs.
I would wager that public funds were not used to defend this case. UNC has plenty of private funds available. I'm sure that's how they keep the legislature from getting involved with this.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:51 pm

bcoach wrote:
that was OUR money they spent not theirs.
^^^^
This!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:49 pm
bcoach wrote:
I would wager that public funds were not used to defend this case. UNC has plenty of private funds available. I'm sure that's how they keep the legislature from getting involved with this.
Don't want it or need it, but I would have to see proof to be able to believe it.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Athletes were directed to the classes to stay eligible, the general population stumbled upon them.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 pm

What they did lose was credibility. All over the country. And all you need to do to offend their grads or put them on edge is to mention it. Be a long time, maybe a couple of generations, before people will forget. They have to live with it and no matter what they say it has to eat at them.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:28 am

appbio91 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:37 pm
Athletes were directed to the classes to stay eligible, the general population stumbled upon them.
Most of the general population didn't stumble upon them - the players told close friends and relatives to sign up - I know this for a fact because a former player told me he told his sister how to sign up as well as a couple of her sorority sisters

But honestly I am tired of all of this - all it does is point out if you (person,organization,university,president) have enough money and are willing to pay whatever it might take, you can walk away without even a slap on the wrist ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:28 am
appbio91 wrote:
Most of the general population didn't stumble upon them - the players told close friends and relatives to sign up - I know this for a fact because a former player told me he told his sister how to sign up as well as a couple of her sorority sisters

But honestly I am tired of all of this - all it does is point out if you (person,organization,university,president) have enough money and are willing to pay whatever it might take, you can walk away without even a slap on the wrist ---
That is exactly correct. It is the monster we have created.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:24 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Was more of the Greek students than the general population. Athletes and fraternity/sorority kids were who comprised the classes basically in totality.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:57 am

AppSt94 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
Unfortunately, not by much of a margin in North Carolina. Heck there was just about as much Carolina blue at our basketball game in Holmes the other year as black and gold.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:14 am

NewApp wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:57 am
AppSt94 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
Unfortunately, not by much of a margin in North Carolina. Heck there was just about as much Carolina blue at our basketball game in Holmes the other year as black and gold.
The other year.... was 17 years ago.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”