Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

North End Zone Project Gets Green Light

yosef13
School: Appalachian State

Re: North End Zone Project Gets Green Light

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:32 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:01 pm
This summer I asked about seats in front of the North End Zone project, and I was told there are windows on field level that will look into the stadium so they were not going to have seats there. Now I don't know if that means temporary seats won't be added during the season, but they definitely weren't planning on permanent seats at that time. To me that is a mistake as we would be very limited on future expansion options with that building and the location of the video board.
I've seen a rendering with field level seats and one without. I would be shocked if they did not add these. My guess is 2k-3k field levels with 1k club.

I would still like to see them go a little bigger. If these numbers are close, we are only adding about 1k when considering the seating capacity with the temporaries.

The last expansion did not meet the demand. I hope they are as aggressive as financially possible with this one.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:32 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
This summer I asked about seats in front of the North End Zone project, and I was told there are windows on field level that will look into the stadium so they were not going to have seats there. Now I don't know if that means temporary seats won't be added during the season, but they definitely weren't planning on permanent seats at that time. To me that is a mistake as we would be very limited on future expansion options with that building and the location of the video board.
I've seen a rendering with field level seats and one without. I would be shocked if they did not add these. My guess is 2k-3k field levels with 1k club.

I would still like to see them go a little bigger. If these numbers are close, we are only adding about 1k when considering the seating capacity with the temporaries.

The last expansion did not meet the demand. I hope they are as aggressive as financially possible with this one.
It did not meet the demand for one or two games a year.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:22 pm

There are so many different ideas being thrown around I can only imagine what it's like being DG in a steering committee meeting...with that said, here are my thoughts:
1) remove the track
2) move the hill closer to the field, creating a wider concourse
3) This newly expanded concourse could have temporary bleachers added for the "big games" just as they are on the opposite endzone today.
4) if its possible to continue the upper deck on the East side all the way to the field, how much of the track does that eat up? If it eats up 6+ rows, theres the best/easiest/cheapest way to eliminate the dead space left by the track.
5) Endzone project MUST include seats. Anything more than 3K seats is unnecessary. Don't point at the WFU/Miami/UNC games, point at the ULM/USA/Coastal games. Until our season ticket sales are 66% of our capacity its not needed. Also, look at my 3rd suggestion and you could add 5K+ easily.

As for the signage around the stadium, thats for the TV audience and it looks a ton better than what its covering up!

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:42 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 pm
yosef13 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:

Average attendance has exceeded our seating capacity every year since. We are 1 of about 8 programs in FBS that can say that.

More people than seats is not meeting the demand. Installing temporary seats a few years after expansion is not meeting the demand.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 pm

What is the signage and wall you guys are referring to?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:25 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:42 pm
Average attendance has exceeded our seating capacity every year since. We are 1 of about 8 programs in FBS that can say that.

More people than seats is not meeting the demand. Installing temporary seats a few years after expansion is not meeting the demand.
I'll trust my eyes over stats when it comes to actual butts in seats. In 9 of the 12 games (yes I'm assuming ULL on 12/2) the past two years there has been plenty of aluminum showing.

That said I agree we need to add permanent seating to replace the temporary seating currently in the north endzone.

I'd add 2k in regular seating and 750-1,000 of club seating.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:25 pm
yosef13 wrote:

I'll trust my eyes over stats when it comes to actual butts in seats. In 9 of the 12 games (yes I'm assuming ULL on 12/2) the past two years there has been plenty of aluminum showing.

That said I agree we need to add permanent seating to replace the temporary seating currently in the north endzone.

Yeah, I can only name a few FBS programs that are completely immune to empty seats. Oddly enough they are the same programs that are included with App on the list of averaging over capacity.

2K with 1k club is likely what we'll get, which adds zero to our seating capacity once you remove the temporary seats and complete the north end zone. I think this is a mistake.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:50 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 pm
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/fnbtGrC ... dium.0.jpg

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:01 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
yosef13 wrote:

Yeah, I can only name a few FBS programs that are completely immune to empty seats. Oddly enough they are the same programs that are included with App on the list of averaging over capacity.

2K with 1k club is likely what we'll get, which adds zero to our seating capacity once you remove the temporary seats and complete the north end zone. I think this is a mistake.
A mistake would be building more seats than required providing minimal incentive to buy season tickets, especially with no P5 home game on the schedule for five years.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:15 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:50 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 pm
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/fnbtGrC ... dium.0.jpg
Some posts seem to be in reference to your jpeg above. Those black and yellow painted walls are gaudy and "NASCAR-looking" in a terrible way. Other posts seem to be in reference to the electronic ribbon boards. I really don't like them but they are necessary sources of revenue for the athletic dept. Advertising revenue! We'll probably be seeing more of the ribbon boards. $$$$$$$$
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm hearing that we have aluminum showing, and I'm also hearing we need to stop cramming 35,000 people into 25,000 "seats". It hurts to say it, but these are both facts. That's the problem when you are putting 11,000+ students into an area that can seat 6500-7000. There will always be people that prefer the hill, or don't get into the game quickly enough to grab one of those prime student seats right behind our team bench. Currently, we cannot get anyone closer to the field outside the boundaries of the track. When the track is finally gone, we cannot make the mistake of not adding outdoor seating in the north end zone. If we wanted it to happen, the student section could circle around from the bench area to the north end zone. We need that to happen, otherwise we are taking away from potential atmosphere at The Rock. I am strongly against putting just 1-2k club seats in the North End zone. If we make that mistake, we'll never recover from it. I completely understand that revenue is important, but we can't forget what got us here.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:01 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
yosef13 wrote:

A mistake would be building more seats than required providing minimal incentive to buy season tickets, especially with no P5 home game on the schedule for five years.
Five years? You have to think long term my friend. That was the mistake we made last time we expanded.

Also, we have proven we can exceed 30k for non P5's. Our top 10 highest attended games range from 30,018 to 35,126, with only two of those ten being P5's.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:37 pm

bigCasu wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:28 pm
I'm hearing that we have aluminum showing, and I'm also hearing we need to stop cramming 35,000 people into 25,000 "seats". It hurts to say it, but these are both facts. That's the problem when you are putting 11,000+ students into an area that can seat 6500-7000. There will always be people that prefer the hill, or don't get into the game quickly enough to grab one of those prime student seats right behind our team bench. Currently, we cannot get anyone closer to the field outside the boundaries of the track. When the track is finally gone, we cannot make the mistake of not adding outdoor seating in the north end zone. If we wanted it to happen, the student section could circle around from the bench area to the north end zone. We need that to happen, otherwise we are taking away from potential atmosphere at The Rock. I am strongly against putting just 1-2k club seats in the North End zone. If we make that mistake, we'll never recover from it. I completely understand that revenue is important, but we can't forget what got us here.
So true about the student section. They are on top of each other. If we put one person per seat in that section you could justify adding at least 5k to KBS.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:56 pm

yosef13 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:

Somehow we still leave a lot of aluminum showing for the TV audience to see.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Agree with BigC. Building a north endzone facility without having permanent outdoor seating is a mistake and limits us going forward. At least 20 rows as student section over flow. I personally would not be opposed to bringing the lower sections around in the south endzone as well while still leaving a grass hill in the middle (ala Clemson). As someone mentioned before, with a widened concourse in the south endzone we could always add temporary seating above the top of the hill for P5 home games.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:04 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:56 pm
yosef13 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:

Somehow we still leave a lot of aluminum showing for the TV audience to see.
Long term development should be based on our highest potential not our lowest.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Diesel & Big C have it right about the students and the seating. Make your voices heard guys, doesn't hurt for Gillin to have more voices in his ear.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Priority #1 Students first. Students must have the best seats and enough of them to accommodate all that want to go. It is what makes App State, App State. Please never change this principle.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:42 pm
Priority #1 Students first. Students must have the best seats and enough of them to accommodate all that want to go. It is what makes App State, App State. Please never change this principle.
Absolutely....and those with deep pockets too.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:02 pm

2k students in north endzone w/ 1k club seats on the 2nd tier. Sounds good to me, those are the two groups paying for the majority of any additions to the stadium. That should open up some east side seating to season ticket holders as well.

I’ve not seen anyone suggest we not add general seating other than the initial drawings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”