Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Millennium Campus

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Millennium Campus

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:31 pm

So I'm looking at the plans for the Millennium Campus buildings and it says they will replace Bowie, Eggers, Coltrane East, Justice and Garner. Starting as early as 2019 and this will be a P3 project.........They plan to pick up an additional 200-400 beds. Suites and apartments.

moonshine

Re: Millennium Campus

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:48 pm

The plan, as I understand it, is to raze the 6 old dorms roughly 1,800 beds and build back dorms equating to 2,100 beds (net +300 beds). Sounds like the housing folks on campus are looking to do a private-public partnership with a 40 year land lease if they can make the financials work. I don't know any hard numbers but it sounds like an expensive endeavor to only gain 300 beds on campus.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:10 pm

As my wife pointed out ....Hall baths are a thing of the past and students want more privacy hence 2 rooms share a bathroom....

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Coltrane had great rooms, 10'x15', really makes it easy to meet friends since you can't stand to stay in the box.

People have lived in some of those since the 60's, and we're likely losing prospective students due to our subpar housing.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:13 pm

While it may only add an extra 300 beds those dorms are in massive need of a renovation at the very least. I’m sure it won’t hurt in the area of attracting top talent to the university.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Thinking back to Bowie I am not sure what there is to renovate. The rooms were so basic to begin with. Slap a coat of varnish on the dresser that was built into the wall and bring in a new desk for each student. And turn down the heat if that has not been done yet. -40 (F or C, you decide) outside and the window would be open.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:31 pm

Athletics die with the razing of Justice. Turn it into a museum. Don't do it..............

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:44 pm

There is a lot to be done. Basically every stadium lot dorm needs to be remodeled/ rebuilt (except frank and belk), parking changes near peacock, upgrades to Duncan hall (don’t know what can be done since it’s now in a flood plain), upgrades to Sanford hall and most of the other acidemic buildings. The 2025 Plan lays out the vision but it’s a couple hundred million dollar project. THe new health sciences building was $80 million alone. That’s where my frustration comes in that the field house is being remodeled first and will do nothing for 99% of students on campus.

The millennium campus designation from tbe unc system allows schools to issue bonds to improve and build new things of campus without tax payer investment but it comes at a price. You gotta pay the bond back. For example, The revenue bond for the field house will supposedly be paid off by a medical office renting out the space but they don’t have a tennant yet from what I’ve seen. For the dorms the school has already announced that they plan to rebuild dorms with revenue bonds through a public private partnership. Essentially the school rents the land to a company who builds a dorm on it. The school then leases the building from the mgmt company and houses students there. This means that the school has a much lower initial cost to build new dorms but a higher rental cost forced onto students because the middle man has to make money. It’s a slippery slope in my opinion and I don’t support theses partnerships and the direction app is going.

tromboneman

Unread post by tromboneman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:53 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:31 pm
Athletics die with the razing of Justice. Turn it into a museum. Don't do it..............
Don't raze Justice until I can look behind the medicine chest in room
400!!! Should be a bottle of Turkey hanging in the wall. LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”