Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New PhD program

CVAPP
School: Appalachian State

Re: New PhD program

Unread post by CVAPP » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:00 pm

97grad wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:48 am
CVAPP wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:43 pm
97grad wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:29 pm
I'm curious as to the rationale offered for funding Appalachian at the level it is relative to other UNC schools, can someone enlighten me?
As Dr. Albert Hughes put it, we ain't politically connected enough. No law school and all.
This seems a bit vague; we're not the only school in the system without a law program. To be clear, I'm not asking for opinions, I'm asking for the rationale the BOG offers for funding us at the current, low levels.
Opinions are all you are likely to get around here. My opinion is they always have and they have established a precedent. Question: Who can we skimp on? A. App. Question: Why App? Answer: Because we can and always have.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:37 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:00 pm
97grad wrote:
CVAPP wrote:
97grad wrote:
I'm curious as to the rationale offered for funding Appalachian at the level it is relative to other UNC schools, can someone enlighten me?
As Dr. Albert Hughes put it, we ain't politically connected enough. No law school and all.
This seems a bit vague; we're not the only school in the system without a law program. To be clear, I'm not asking for opinions, I'm asking for the rationale the BOG offers for funding us at the current, low levels.
Opinions are all you are likely to get around here. My opinion is they always have and they have established a precedent. Question: Who can we skimp on? A. App. Question: Why App? Answer: Because we can and always have.
Sounds like you need to ask the UNC controlled BOG. I wouldn’t expect an honest answer...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:11 pm

97grad wrote:
CVAPP wrote:
97grad wrote:
They cite this reason...needless/unnecessary duplication...and then they award duplicate doctoral programs to UNC-G and Charlotte! Again, I say, it's campus politics...clout or lack of same. I was a GA in the College of Ed. at the time the proposal for the Ed.D. program was being researched, written and reviewed. My dept. chair involved me in the review process before the "final" proposal was submitted to the App BOT for review and approval. Dr. Ken Jenkins was the principal in developing the App proposal and he did a t-r-e-m-e-n-d-o-u-s job. Still, final approval was "touch and go." We didn't then (and don't now) have enough supporters and defenders at the BOG and NCGA levels.
Last edited by asu66 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Dr. Jenkins also was the first director of the Teaching Fellows at App back in the late 70s. I was not aware he was the principal for the Ed.D. program as well.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:47 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:40 pm
Dr. Jenkins also was the first director of the Teaching Fellows at App back in the late 70s. I was not aware he was the principal for the Ed.D. program as well.

From there, Ken moved on to UNC-Chapel Hill to start/direct the NC Principals' Executive Program (NC-PEP). Acceptance into that program was a "hot ticket" from the mid-90s through about 2007. It then began to fall out of favor with the General Assembly. The whole concept took a big hit from the GA and obtained funding from a private foundation for a while. After my retirement, I just chose not to keep up with it. The GA was suddenly at war with anything called public education. It was sad.

Haven't seen Ken in a couple of years. I believe he finished his career at App. Neither he nor Doris are listed on the current College of Ed. faculty.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”