Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New campus housing project moving forward

JGthatsme86
School: Appalachian State

Re: New campus housing project moving forward

Unread post by JGthatsme86 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 am

Well this news certainly has me torn... I lived in Eggers in ‘82 and agree that new dorms are desperately needed. However; walking through stadium lot on gameday has always makes me a happy dude. I guess most major colleges in NC that have on-campus stadiums don’t have vast parking available right beside the stadium, but that is certainly one of the things that makes our gameday atmosphere the best in the state. Change is needed but don’t count this one as one of my favorite.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:47 am

Updated living is a big deal now. The dorms are woefully out of date. Hate to have to see my tailgate spot end up in a deck but the campus needs a refresh. What will happen though is as a stadium lot Yosef guy I will request a spot in The open air Raley lot. That’s gonna push a lot of younger donors to other lots. Also a big 🖕to the State Legislature.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:39 am

It's hard for me to see all of the detail on that image but aren't there 2 good size parking lots, one in front of the new parking deck and one where Gardner/Coltrane are? Does anyone know the difference in the number of spaces between the current stadium lot and the new proposed parking lots, excluding the parking deck? That parking deck is going to be tough to get out of after games unless there's another way out of the area that's not shown.
I totally agree that something needs to be done for campus housing or we're going to get passed over by great prospective students which is actually already happening. My wife is a high school teacher and she's seeing many great students not even consider App and yet apply to WCU and UNCC. One of those kids, and this is his quote; "all App cares about is sustainability, it's like a school for hippies." Makes me cringe when I hear these things. I don't know enough about the P3 economics but we need to do something to keep the university moving forward.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:53 am

I am as sentimental as the next guy and I certainly echo many of the thoughts about this change. However, I think that this is a good opportunity for an ENHANCED gameday experience. Putting more green space in front of the stadium will allow for more interaction on the way to the game.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:39 am
It's hard for me to see all of the detail on that image but aren't there 2 good size parking lots, one in front of the new parking deck and one where Gardner/Coltrane are? Does anyone know the difference in the number of spaces between the current stadium lot and the new proposed parking lots, excluding the parking deck? That parking deck is going to be tough to get out of after games unless there's another way out of the area that's not shown.
I totally agree that something needs to be done for campus housing or we're going to get passed over by great prospective students which is actually already happening. My wife is a high school teacher and she's seeing many great students not even consider App and yet apply to WCU and UNCC. One of those kids, and this is his quote; "all App cares about is sustainability, it's like a school for hippies." Makes me cringe when I hear these things. I don't know enough about the P3 economics but we need to do something to keep the university moving forward.
This quote isn’t unique...it’s more pervasive than any of us want to think.

And Hippies don’t make for great athletics donors!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm a hippie in some folk's eyes. I don't use cannabis or vote liberal, but I have a 1974 VW Bus, pacifist (with 4 combat deployments) and vote libertarian...... I also donate as much as I am responsibly able to YC and have had season tickets for years. Some of you sound like delusional and pretentious frat boys.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:35 am

appbanker wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:12 pm
The problem with most of our existing dorms is that they can’t be reconfigured and modernized to compete with newly constructed dorms. It would be nice if they could open the green space to face the stadium so it could be utilized for tailgating like the current Duck Pond field.
I'm not even sure all the dorms have been updated from the 2008 bonds. All construction eventually gets to a point where its more beneficial to tear down than to modernize. I think the big shock here is that we'll have nearly a half dozen dorms torn down, replaced and displaced from their "original" foundation.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 am

bigCasu wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:35 am
appbanker wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:12 pm
The problem with most of our existing dorms is that they can’t be reconfigured and modernized to compete with newly constructed dorms. It would be nice if they could open the green space to face the stadium so it could be utilized for tailgating like the current Duck Pond field.
I'm not even sure all the dorms have been updated from the 2008 bonds. All construction eventually gets to a point where its more beneficial to tear down than to modernize. I think the big shock here is that we'll have nearly a half dozen dorms torn down, replaced and displaced from their "original" foundation.
I’m personally not against modernization, just the planned funding sources. If you look at summit hall and other receny constructed dorms the style of student housing has changed. Bigger common spaces and suite style with a shared bathroom between 4 people/ 2 students is the go to now it seems. The current dorms would probably be hard to convert to this style. I lived in winkler Hall it’s last year open and it was glorious. 4 private bedrooms, 2 floors, 2 bathrooms and a living room/ kitchen. It would have been impossible to convert to a suite style and that’s why it was torn down from my understanding

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:19 pm

It is impossible to grow and not lose what once was. To some that is wonderful to others not so much. For a long time much was home grown. Now we have decision makers who have come from the outside. Things will not remain the same.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:26 pm

ASUchipman wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:42 pm
I lived in Gardner and Bowie and my wife lived in Eggers. We wont have anything left when we come back. Both Bowie and Gardner were old when I was there over 25 years ago. I guess progress comes at the expense of memories.
They razed my dorm a few years back. My memories haven’t faded a bit.

app80

Unread post by app80 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:26 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:41 pm
I'm a hippie in some folk's eyes. I don't use cannabis or vote liberal, but I have a 1974 VW Bus, pacifist (with 4 combat deployments) and vote libertarian...... I also donate as much as I am responsibly able to YC and have had season tickets for years. Some of you sound like delusional and pretentious frat boys.
Long live the hippies!

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:28 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:20 pm
I think that all of those dorms need to be replaced....

But....

1- parking decks need to be located adjoining Rivers Street or have direct ingress and egress onto rivers street. In the concept drawing cars have to pass through all of the pedestrian traffic areas. That is nuts.

4- Creating East-West pedestrian walks and views to better connect our fractured Rivers Street campus divide is paramount.

Yes, build new dorms. But please build them behind the existing dorms as best possible and keep that middle area as open as possible and as free from vehicle traffic as possible.
IMHO The buildings proposed look great but the parking plan, location and access is devastatingly stupid! There are so many problems from an urban planning standpoint Dr. Lineback (showing my age) would write a column about it. The parking plan at least needs to be corrected.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 am

With Private entities involved would the parking be cleared on game days? If not this could severely impact YOSEF donations.
Bring Your A Game!

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:00 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 am
With Private entities involved would the parking be cleared on game days? If not this could severely impact YOSEF donations.
I'm sure they would be cleared. We would be leasing it from them yes, but we will operate and maintain. Considering our dedication to football at AppState, I'm so sure they'll make room for people to spend money for a spot and tailgate.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Question for those of you who still live in Boone and spend time on campus...What's currently going on at the Quinn (or whatever it's called now)? With the SRC, athletic training facilities in the press facility and the indoor training facility, is it still heavily used by athletic teams? Could it eventually be looked at as a Yosef Club parking lot?

They could easily place a VIP/YC entrance plaza on the hill side of the east stands. Seems it would be a visually appealing place to tailgate and look down into the stadium while snacking on your wines and assorted cheeses.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:10 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:50 pm
Question for those of you who still live in Boone and spend time on campus...What's currently going on at the Quinn (or whatever it's called now)? With the SRC, athletic training facilities in the press facility and the indoor training facility, is it still heavily used by athletic teams? Could it eventually be looked at as a Yosef Club parking lot?

They could easily place a VIP/YC entrance plaza on the hill side of the east stands. Seems it would be a visually appealing place to tailgate and look down into the stadium while snacking on your wines and assorted cheeses.
The Quin is still in use. Mostly used for things like cardio dance, racket ball, and other group activities. However, I would say most students do go to the SRC.
But I like the idea of repurposing that building!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:00 pm

APPdiesel wrote:

There is already a YC entrance at the ramp for those with tickets at the top of that section. A parking lot for only 6 games would be a waste of "sustainable" space IMO.
Bring Your A Game!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:49 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:00 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

There is already a YC entrance at the ramp for those with tickets at the top of that section. A parking lot for only 6 games would be a waste of "sustainable" space IMO.
Level the quinn. Paid student parking.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:13 pm

APPdiesel wrote:

VIP parking/ entrance? Would you like to just repurpose the entrie west side of campus as a Yosef Club Park and event venue? You want to take a building used for classes and student recreation so that you can have your own special entrance for a football stadium you didn’t pay for? To me it seems the members of the Yosef Club wants more and more from campus but forget that they don’t pay for it becuse the new club seating is not being funded by the Yosef club and students contribute more than 50% of the athletic budget when last I checked.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:19 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:13 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

VIP parking/ entrance? Would you like to just repurpose the entrie west side of campus as a Yosef Club Park and event venue? You want to take a building used for classes and student recreation so that you can have your own special entrance for a football stadium you didn’t pay for? To me it seems the members of the Yosef Club wants more and more from campus but forget that they don’t pay for it becuse the new club seating is not being funded by the Yosef club and students contribute more than 50% of the athletic budget when last I checked.
My guess is Diesel is the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. His "your wine and assorted cheeses" makes that pretty clear to me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”