Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New campus housing project moving forward

canes_mj
School: Appalachian State

Re: New campus housing project moving forward

Unread post by canes_mj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:16 pm

This looks fine to me. Those dorms have been outdated for a long time and an upgrade will be nice. As far as tailgating and game day atmosphere, from the rendering it looks like there will still be a large amount of parking spaces, they'll just be moved to where the dorms are now. Plus a parking deck. Personally I never liked stadium lot...too crowded, too slanted, harder to set up tents and grills...maybe these new lots will be more level and less chaotic. Love the green space in the middle of the dorms. My guess is this will be the new student tailgating area, but if it's not then that will be wonderful for families, plenty of space for kids to run around in. Also plenty of people tailgate in the other two parking decks, no reason to think people won't do the same in this one.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:01 pm

I still want to see a soccer pitch on top of the parking deck.
Bring Your A Game!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:44 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:13 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:50 pm
Question for those of you who still live in Boone and spend time on campus...What's currently going on at the Quinn (or whatever it's called now)? With the SRC, athletic training facilities in the press facility and the indoor training facility, is it still heavily used by athletic teams? Could it eventually be looked at as a Yosef Club parking lot?

They could easily place a VIP/YC entrance plaza on the hill side of the east stands. Seems it would be a visually appealing place to tailgate and look down into the stadium while snacking on your wines and assorted cheeses.
VIP parking/ entrance? Would you like to just repurpose the entrie west side of campus as a Yosef Club Park and event venue? You want to take a building used for classes and student recreation so that you can have your own special entrance for a football stadium you didn’t pay for? To me it seems the members of the Yosef Club wants more and more from campus but forget that they don’t pay for it becuse the new club seating is not being funded by the Yosef club and students contribute more than 50% of the athletic budget when last I checked.
I'm not in Yosef's Club smart guy.

Classic "can't make anyone happy". Several posters bitching about not having enough parking / having disjointed parking on that side of campus. I think out loud and ask how heavily that building is used and brain storm an alternative and get my head bitten off by a guy making assumptions.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:59 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:44 pm
BTK2000 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:13 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:50 pm
Question for those of you who still live in Boone and spend time on campus...What's currently going on at the Quinn (or whatever it's called now)? With the SRC, athletic training facilities in the press facility and the indoor training facility, is it still heavily used by athletic teams? Could it eventually be looked at as a Yosef Club parking lot?

They could easily place a VIP/YC entrance plaza on the hill side of the east stands. Seems it would be a visually appealing place to tailgate and look down into the stadium while snacking on your wines and assorted cheeses.
VIP parking/ entrance? Would you like to just repurpose the entrie west side of campus as a Yosef Club Park and event venue? You want to take a building used for classes and student recreation so that you can have your own special entrance for a football stadium you didn’t pay for? To me it seems the members of the Yosef Club wants more and more from campus but forget that they don’t pay for it becuse the new club seating is not being funded by the Yosef club and students contribute more than 50% of the athletic budget when last I checked.
I'm not in Yosef's Club smart guy.

Classic "can't make anyone happy". Several posters bitching about not having enough parking / having disjointed parking on that side of campus. I think out loud and ask how heavily that building is used and brain storm an alternative and get my head bitten off by a guy making assumptions.
My bad for making the assumption. I agree with you that many of the responses are infuriating because it seems that the 7 dorms and multiple acedemic buildings around the stadium lot need to play second string to their tailgate experience. I missed the sarcasm while eating lunch and the what I Misconstrued as a serious idea of taking away a rec center for Yosef club parking and facilities pushed me over the top. I apologize for being rash in my response.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:17 pm

I wasn't being sarcastic when I suggested it, I was merely asking how heavily used the Quinn is these days. I graduated in '07 and at that time the Quinn had fallen off in use (a little) because of the SRC. Since then they've built uh-TON of additional athletic facilities. Just didn't know if it's still in heavy use and if it's not, then it could be a cool spot to tailgate. Remembering the size of that building in my head...I'd guess that lot could hold a hundred cars.

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone. You pave paradise to put up a parking lot" - Adam Duritz

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:41 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:17 pm
I wasn't being sarcastic when I suggested it, I was merely asking how heavily used the Quinn is these days. I graduated in '07 and at that time the Quinn had fallen off in use (a little) because of the SRC. Since then they've built uh-TON of additional athletic facilities. Just didn't know if it's still in heavy use and if it's not, then it could be a cool spot to tailgate. Remembering the size of that building in my head...I'd guess that lot could hold a hundred cars.

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone. You pave paradise to put up a parking lot" - Adam Duritz
Eh. It was more of an early morning lifting gym than the SRC and you’re less likely to find a midday pickup game there. A lot of group excercise classes are in there as well as the racquet/ handball courts and it’s where a lot of pe classes and intermural games are held. It’s still heavily used and with the expansion of on campus housing it will be needed. Could be updated for sure but I highly doubt a building would be replaced with a surface lot considering the lack of buildable space on campus. Also there haven’t been any student rec gyms build since the SRC. It’s just the SRC, the one in the UNion and Quinn.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:50 pm

APPdiesel wrote:

I believe faculty enjoy the quinn.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:47 pm

APPdiesel wrote:

I took 3 gym classes last semester for my senior year (I know, I know) and 2 of the 3 were held in Quinn, and the last one was snowboarding, so I’d say it’s still heavily used.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 pm

Heads up, but the county and ASU are hammering out an agreement to lease the Health Department's parking lot off Poplar Grove Extension for paid parking this season. It might be an alternative for low-level Yosef parking when the West Campus is covered in yellow machines.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:43 am

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 pm
Heads up, but the county and ASU are hammering out an agreement to lease the Health Department's parking lot off Poplar Grove Extension for paid parking this season. It might be an alternative for low-level Yosef parking when the West Campus is covered in yellow machines.
What construction will be starting this year that will impact parking this season?
I thought Owens and track demo was to start after the last game and are dorms to be torn down during this season?

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:05 am

APPRIDE wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:43 am
T-Dog wrote:
What construction will be starting this year that will impact parking this season?
I thought Owens and track demo was to start after the last game and are dorms to be torn down during this season?
The stadium lot should not have construction issues this football season; however, there are more folks joining Yosef at the $250 - $500 levels to get parking. It would make sense to snag whatever available parking there is so that $250 - $500 Yosef members who have festival parking are assured there is a festival parking spot available somewhere. All in all, this is a great problem to have - interest in the football program + more season ticket holders + more Yosef donors + campus construction / renovation / improvement. It's great to be a Mountaineer!
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:39 am

My question is why is anyone who posts on here NOT a member of the Yosef Club? Be thankful we have some people who can afford to help support athletics and if they (we) eat wine and cheese then so what!

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:49 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:05 am
APPRIDE wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:43 am
T-Dog wrote:
The stadium lot should not have construction issues this football season; however, there are more folks joining Yosef at the $250 - $500 levels to get parking. It would make sense to snag whatever available parking there is so that $250 - $500 Yosef members who have festival parking are assured there is a festival parking spot available somewhere. All in all, this is a great problem to have - interest in the football program + more season ticket holders + more Yosef donors + campus construction / renovation / improvement. It's great to be a Mountaineer!
gotchya, thanks! Hadn’t considered it from that angle, yes having more and more lower level donors is a good thing in which case securing the health services lot would make sense...I thought the trickle down bumps to lesser lots (due to construction at the stadium lot) was being suggested for this year...

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 am

T-Dog wrote:
That's a large flat lot that could be a lot of fun if it were packed.

That drunken walk on the other hand...

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:15 am

NO.2 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 am
T-Dog wrote:
That's a large flat lot that could be a lot of fun if it were packed.

That drunken walk on the other hand...
Don't a ton of people already park in that Career Center parking lot and doesn't a shuttle run people to KBS from there?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:39 am
My question is why is anyone who posts on here NOT a member of the Yosef Club? Be thankful we have some people who can afford to help support athletics and if they (we) eat wine and cheese then so what!
The wine and cheese line was just a playful jab at the hoitiest of the toitiest. And $$$$$$$ bruh.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Just to be clear, you don’t have to be rich (to be my girl...) to join the Yosef Club. Every donor counts big time even if you’re just giving a hundred bucks a year. Per-capita alumni giving makes a huge impact on corporate donor-ship.

In short: if you have a smart phone on which to read Yosef’s Cabin you should be a member of the Yosef Club.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:19 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:28 pm
Just to be clear, you don’t have to be rich (to be my girl...) to join the Yosef Club. Every donor counts big time even if you’re just giving a hundred bucks a year. Per-capita alumni giving makes a huge impact on corporate donor-ship.

In short: if you have a smart phone on which to read Yosef’s Cabin you should be a member of the Yosef Club.
Wud abowt them Obammer fones? Do thems meen u kin aford it?

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:36 pm

Gonzo said it best. Young alumni program is best for young grads and even if you only give $100 a year it's still a big deal. There are pay plans and all.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:30 am

You guys don't have the right to tell people how to spend their disposable income and to suggest that they should donate in order to participate on this board is both elitist and inexcusable. That kind of mentality may fly in Chapel Hill but it doesn't need to filter to here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”