Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New campus housing project moving forward

Saint3333

Re: New campus housing project moving forward

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:41 am

the day being a Yosef Club member is a black eye in this community will be the day I know all hope is lost for our athletic program.

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:39 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:30 am
You guys don't have the right to tell people how to spend their disposable income and to suggest that they should donate in order to participate on this board is both elitist and inexcusable. That kind of mentality may fly in Chapel Hill but it doesn't need to filter to here.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:24 am

This has been discussed before and, for most members, there has been an unspoken agreement that we do not criticize or degrade someone for their financial situation, especially in regards to season tickets, Yosef Club, etc.

In context this is no different than someone saying "I understand what you are going through" to someone who is facing a life changing event, whether themselves or someone they know. Even if you've been through nearly the exact same thing. You can offer support, prayers (if you believe in that), sympathy, etc but you do not know what someone is going through since everyone processes things differently.

Financial situations are a different matter except in context. You do not know what any person other than yourselves is going through and have no right to pass judgement or criticize another when you don't have a clue what they are going through. I'm glad that so many on here are doing so well that they feel they can pass judgement on someone who might not be and I truly hope you never face a bad financial situation yourselves, although then you might be a little less quick to judge or might light of another.

Just one more thing in a long line of reasons why so many good people have slowed down or stopped posting on this site.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am

My god. Who passed judgment? I was correcting the common misconception that YC membership is an expensive endeavor necessarily. You can donate next to nothing and still make a meaningful impact because you’re quantified as another donor. Reread the post. Geez....

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:46 am

All I said was that there several easy ways to join and be involved. Not that you are a bad person for not joining or donating.

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:06 pm

I dont know that anyone passed judgement but I can see where it can certainly be misconstrued as being holier(or better off than thou). I am an App grad and damn proud of it. But I am one of those who has seen better times. I am not complaining though as I have been blessed in life with 3 boys, the last one now 7 who has cerebral palsy, being born at 23 weeks. He is the most loving child I have ever known. (Biased...most likely but he is amazing!!). I have also been blessed by members of this board, Daphne comes to mind! Thanks!!
My point is that those who are not as well off may feel as if they are being singled out. I do not, as I have fairly thick skin. Have a great day!
Go Apps!!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:28 pm
Just to be clear, you don’t have to be rich (to be my girl...) to join the Yosef Club. Every donor counts big time even if you’re just giving a hundred bucks a year. Per-capita alumni giving makes a huge impact on corporate donor-ship.

In short: if you have a smart phone on which to read Yosef’s Cabin you should be a member of the Yosef Club.
Diesel can answer for himself but I have a feeling he knows exactly how much every level of Yosef Club membership costs. The donation levels have been discussed on here so many times that they are burned into the brains of every regular poster on here as well as every grad of App that has been contacted by YC over the years. To suggest otherwise is a judgement unto itself, especially since his post said nothing about "Yosef Club membership is too expensive". He simply stated he wasn't a member. You can take your own suggestion and reread his post to confirm.

As for the rest I'll leave it to the members to decide what the context of yours and others subsequent posts were.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:26 pm

For me, this is a sore subject not because of anyone in this thread, but because of history. There used to be some very vocal posters who were more than happy to tell everyone how to spend their money, and were ready with ridicule and harassment for those who disagreed with them.

I'm glad that there are people who want to, and are able to give back to App, but I understand that there are people, who are no less a fan of App, who cannot give back for various reasons.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:33 pm

appst89 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:26 pm
For me, this is a sore subject not because of anyone in this thread, but because of history. There used to be some very vocal posters who were more than happy to tell everyone how to spend their money, and were ready with ridicule and harassment for those who disagreed with them.

I'm glad that there are people who want to, and are able to give back to App, but I understand that there are people, who are no less a fan of App, who cannot give back for various reasons.
Thank you for letting those know who may not be aware about this. I'll admit I went the long way with my first post but this was the reason behind it. It too is a sore subject for me and some of the replies seemed a bit snarky, for lack of a better term. If I offended anyone so be it. I've done it before and am sure I will do so again.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am
My god. Who passed judgment? I was correcting the common misconception that YC membership is an expensive endeavor necessarily. You can donate next to nothing and still make a meaningful impact because you’re quantified as another donor. Reread the post. Geez....
I agree with Gonzo. If someone gives $5 to Yosef it's $5 more than they had before the gift.

The attitude for App State fans NEEDS to be "I'll give what I can" even if it's literally the cost of a Cookout tray. Discussing specific amounts and who gives what can be a waste of time or a chance for someone to puff out their chest. But saying "give something, even if it's a small amount" is never a waste of time and shouldn't be criticized.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:13 pm

firemoose wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:22 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:28 pm
Just to be clear, you don’t have to be rich (to be my girl...) to join the Yosef Club. Every donor counts big time even if you’re just giving a hundred bucks a year. Per-capita alumni giving makes a huge impact on corporate donor-ship.

In short: if you have a smart phone on which to read Yosef’s Cabin you should be a member of the Yosef Club.
Diesel can answer for himself but I have a feeling he knows exactly how much every level of Yosef Club membership costs. The donation levels have been discussed on here so many times that they are burned into the brains of every regular poster on here as well as every grad of App that has been contacted by YC over the years. To suggest otherwise is a judgement unto itself, especially since his post said nothing about "Yosef Club membership is too expensive". He simply stated he wasn't a member. You can take your own suggestion and reread his post to confirm.

As for the rest I'll leave it to the members to decide what the context of yours and others subsequent posts were.
I don’t know if Diesel knows the levels or not, and I’ve hung out with him in real life on several occasions.

I was informing anyone reading that you don’t have to donate much at all to make a major impact. You don’t even need to give a prescribed amount that yields season tickets or anything like that. Just the change in your pocket will be impactful. Most alumni I meet don’t know that. This was essentially the same elevator speech I give every single App grad I meet in the ether.

Apparently there’s some history of some other posters being dicks that led you to that conclusion. I’ll be more careful now that I’m aware of that. I’m sorry you got the wrong idea. I can almost guarantee Diesel didn’t misconstrue my post that way.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:33 pm

I apologize for getting my hackles up. Yes, there is a history on the MMB and, as 89' said, it's a sore subject for some of the members who saw all of it. I personally have given more money and time to the YC and App in general than I can even count. And my overall family's giving is into the seven figures (pretty easy thing to reach even without being millionaires when you've had 43 and counting members attend App). But I went through a very tough time back during the recession after the railroad shafted us. Every dime I had, even the change in my pocket, went to trying to survive. As I told ARJ in texts I even went hours and some days where I cut the main breaker off just to save on the power bill. I know some very big App fans currently that are in difficult situations and are struggling just to pay the bills right now.

But as I also told ARJ I have never once disagreed that the YC doesn't need money and as many people as can join I always encourage them to do so. And should anyone ever come on here and say that the YC doesn't need money I will respond in kind. It just appeared that some people were heading back to the financial discussions from the bad old days and I jumped in. I meant what I said in the first post and it wasn't actually directed at anyone or I would have quoted them. It was just a general "let's not go down the money path" direction again.

Again, you have my apologies.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:59 pm

I've dealt with the elitism and peer pressure on donating to the Yosef Club. When I was a blogger, I was told "You can't criticize Athletics unless you give to the Yosef Club." And I've had season tickets to football, basketball, wrestling and baseball, which are all the spors that have season tickets.

To some people, giving what I can was never good enough. That mindset needs to go.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:13 am

For many folks athletics is the front door to the university. For others the front door is art or music or international business. The whole reason we're a "university" is that our educational focus is broad and deep and not confined to one "college". We all have our passions - those things, ideas, and causes that fuel our lives. We all have the economic realities of our lives as well. At the end of the day we're all still Mountaineers - some because we're alumni; others (like me) because we were adopted into the family. It's all good.

My passions are scholarship and athletics. That's why our family donates to several areas of campus. In the grand scheme of things our donations are a drop in the bucket. You will never see our names on buildings or press releases. When I read the names of the folks in the Yosef Club, I'm proud to be associated with each one through a common love ... and, yes, I do read all the names.

If you are able to and actually do contribute to Yosef or the Annual Fund or any facet of the university in any way, thank you. Truly, thank you. Every dime and every hour donated to the university helps relieve the financial pressure of operating a school as fine as Appalachian.

As for the new housing project, I'm all in favor of it. As I helped with freshman move-in day last year in Gardner-Coltrane, I was saddened to see that the same dorm my brother lived in in the 70's was virtually unchanged ... and it wasn't the best of dorms then. If new housing means I park somewhere else for football games, I'll give a hearty "whoopity doo!" and park where I'm allowed to park.

I look forward to seeing all of you on the mountain in September for the first of our six (maybe seven?) annual family reunions.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:49 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:05 pm
Two thoughts

This plan is conceptual.

If we want our university to grow it will need to be via P3. Nothing happens if we wait around for state funding.
What is P3, yosef13?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”