Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Broyhill Inn

eggers76
School: Appalachian State

Re: Broyhill Inn

Unread post by eggers76 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:16 pm

asu66 wrote:This us a crying shame folks. A shame and a disgrace for the Broyhill Inn to be razed. Do you think for one second the Carolina Inn at UNC will ever suffer such a fate? No way. Despite the tough economic times, there should be a massive alumni appeal to save the Inn.

This is a shame Chuck. I know, as with most things these days, money is probably the issue here. But it seems to me with the Hospitality and Tourism program at App that there could be a long term solution developed to either save the Broyhill Inn or build something new and better to support the degree program. Maybe the solution is to work in partnership with one of the hotel chains in a public/private venture. I know the Hotel Roanoke is owned by Va. Tech and is managed by Doubletree (Hilton). It is not on the campus of VPI but with ASU's resort location it seems like a natural to me to partner with one of the top chains. It would take a lot of vision and good leadership and the aforementioned money but something that in my opinion could work. But I am sure I am not the first one to have thought of this :)

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:57 pm

asu66 wrote:This is a crying shame folks; a shame and a disgrace for the Broyhill Inn to be razed. Do you think for one second the Carolina Inn at UNC will ever suffer such a fate? No way. Despite the tough economic times, there should be a massive alumni appeal to save the Inn.

..and it was a great learning place for the students. That was a primary reason for its initial founding. Remember when they used to price the salads based on the NY Stock Market for that day?

Funny thing, it has almost always been booked when I tried to get a room..just like most of the other hotels in the area. Something tells me that it needs to be better managed rather than razed.
It was great PR for the university when conferences and retreats were held there by outside groups.
Last edited by JCline0429 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:01 pm

eggers76 wrote:
asu66 wrote:This us a crying shame folks. A shame and a disgrace for the Broyhill Inn to be razed. Do you think for one second the Carolina Inn at UNC will ever suffer such a fate? No way. Despite the tough economic times, there should be a massive alumni appeal to save the Inn.

This is a shame Chuck. I know, as with most things these days, money is probably the issue here. But it seems to me with the Hospitality and Tourism program at App that there could be a long term solution developed to either save the Broyhill Inn or build something new and better to support the degree program. Maybe the solution is to work in partnership with one of the hotel chains in a public/private venture. I know the Hotel Roanoke is owned by Va. Tech and is managed by Doubletree (Hilton). It is not on the campus of VPI but with ASU's resort location it seems like a natural to me to partner with one of the top chains. It would take a lot of vision and good leadership and the aforementioned money but something that in my opinion could work. But I am sure I am not the first one to have thought of this :)
As I said in another post, experience for those students in the Hospitality and Restaurant programs was the main goal when it was built. It was self sustaining financially.
If it stays booked at the prices they were charging, it should have been self- supporting.
a.k.a JC0429

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:05 pm

JCline0429 wrote:
eggers76 wrote:

As I said in another post, experience for those students in the Hospitality and Restaurant programs was the main goal when it was built. It was self sustaining financially.
If it stays booked at the prices they were charging, it should have been self- supporting.
According to the gentleman who spoke to the Alumni Council, the Broyhill was never self-sustaining. He said it has always required a supplement from the university's general fund to stay afloat and with the cuts in the state budget, the school was unable to continue to fund the deficit.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:10 pm

That is contrary to the PR that was floated in the first few years it was operated. Sure, the university paid university staff to over see its operation..as it should have been.
It sounds like management oversight or waste is the problem given its rates and demand for rooms. The restaurant has not been in demand as much in recent years however.
I wonder how much of a deficit it was creating. I hope the Hospitality management program has enough private hotel connections to place all the students being displaced.
a.k.a JC0429

App Band

Unread post by App Band » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:19 pm

I've actually heard that it was so far below building code requirements and regulations that to try to refurbish it would be cost-prohibitive.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:37 pm

App Band wrote:I've actually heard that it was so far below building code requirements and regulations that to try to refurbish it would be cost-prohibitive.
Makes sense, but in the private sector has done much more challenging projects and have pulled them off quite successfully. We turned a multi-story former Sheraton, then former Comfort Inn, then former Comfort Suites, then former Quality Inn into a dorm for picky sorority girls. Just sayin.' Hopefully we will build another facility in its place that will reach out to influential outside groups coming on campus for perhaps their first time . We got great PR from many of those influential groups and prospective ASU student parents. NC State has a showcase facility that I have stayed in on several occasions. UNC has the Friday Center in which I have attended conferences and stayed nearby several times. All positive experiences.
I think it would send the wrong message if we used the Broyhill for athletic purposes. It has already been used many times for Yosef functions. That should be enough as Athletic related use. We are raising 200 million bucks..why couldn't part of it be used for that purpose?
a.k.a JC0429

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:47 pm

Tear it down and build a new track facility on the location.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:02 pm

Kgfish wrote:Tear it down and build a new track facility on the location.
That would be nice but we need more dorms for one thing.
a.k.a JC0429

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 pm

I was at Clemson this weekend and stayed at their Convention Center. Each room was donated by Tiger fan and they get first dibs on the room for football games for their lifetime (the right is not transferabe at death). The price started at $50,000 for a room. I wonder if we have enough alums (fans) to do that and rebuild the place.
Bring Your A Game!

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:40 pm

huskie3 wrote:I was at Clemson this weekend and stayed at their Convention Center. Each room was donated by Tiger fan and they get first dibs on the room for football games for their lifetime (the right is not transferabe at death). The price started at $50,000 for a room. I wonder if we have enough alums (fans) to do that and rebuild the place.
I hope you aren't thinking about $50,000 a pop, cause that will rule me out on my teacher's salary. :lol:

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:05 pm

JCline0429 wrote:
Kgfish wrote:Tear it down and build a new track facility on the location.
That would be nice but we need more dorms for one thing.
Very few students want to live in dorms after their freshman year. There is a massive new private housing complex going up off 105 which will ease any shortfall for a while.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”