High Country Activities

User avatar
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Stephens City, VA
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 486 times

High Country Activities

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:17 pm

I am taking the wife and three kids down to the High Country at the end of this month. We plan to take the kids to Tweetsie, Grandfather Mountain (Zoo and Bridge), and stroll through Blowing Rock. I was wondering if I am missing anything or if there are other things my kids might enjoy. 2 boys ages 2 & 8, and 1 four month old girl. If anyone has any suggestions or knows where I can find anymore information, please share. It will be greatly appreciated.



User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 5841
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 904 times
Been thanked: 519 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:39 pm

The park in downtown Blowing Rock has a nice play area for the boys. Small climbing wall for kids used to be there and I assume still is there.

The old Cone manor on the parkway is getting a painting and such that may be ongoing. I stopped by there after spring commencement. I would like to think an 8 year old could appreciate some of the history there. After that take them to the picnic area just south of Cone manor and have a picnic and the kids can play in the stream which will be nice if it is hot. Bring some spare clothes and let them change in the car/truck/van if the bathrooms are not open. If the water is a bit chilly it can be fun to jut wade in the stream and if that is too much stand by the bank and toss twigs in the streams and pretend they are boats and see which one wins a race.

Go north to the Cascades waterfall , again on the Parkway. Small hike to the waterfall.

Visit Howard('s) Knob.

If you are there when Dark Sky Observatory is having a public viewing then try and get tickets (free) https://dso.appstate.edu/public-access

Of course most of the above are not all that for a 4 month old and even a 2 year old.

For a short bit of down town drop in the county library and let them relax and read a book or two. There might even be a book about the area that is age appropriate for an 8 year old to read themselves.

For all three kids take them to The Children's Playhoue https://goplayhouse.org/ My daughter works here for a few more weeks and I had the chance to tour it last week. Certainly things to do for an 8 year old and 2 year old, and some activities for parents and the 4 month old together.

Obviously take them around the campus-it never hurts to show then what could be part of their future or at least an option for their future.

How many days are you staying?

There is the hardest putt-putt course in the world on Hwy 105 and then there are go-karts just south of the putt-putt. (Again more for the 8 year old)

Drive to Vale Crucis and let the kids run wild in the open field that is part of the App campus.

Visit the candy store at either the Vale Crucis or Boone location.

When my three girls were upper primary/middle school age we did a three day vacation in Boone and needed more time, and we did not do much of the above to be honest.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

User avatar
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Stephens City, VA
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 486 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:21 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:39 pm
The park in downtown Blowing Rock has a nice play area for the boys. Small climbing wall for kids used to be there and I assume still is there.

The old Cone manor on the parkway is getting a painting and such that may be ongoing. I stopped by there after spring commencement. I would like to think an 8 year old could appreciate some of the history there. After that take them to the picnic area just south of Cone manor and have a picnic and the kids can play in the stream which will be nice if it is hot. Bring some spare clothes and let them change in the car/truck/van if the bathrooms are not open. If the water is a bit chilly it can be fun to jut wade in the stream and if that is too much stand by the bank and toss twigs in the streams and pretend they are boats and see which one wins a race.

Go north to the Cascades waterfall , again on the Parkway. Small hike to the waterfall.

Visit Howard('s) Knob.

If you are there when Dark Sky Observatory is having a public viewing then try and get tickets (free) https://dso.appstate.edu/public-access

Of course most of the above are not all that for a 4 month old and even a 2 year old.

For a short bit of down town drop in the county library and let them relax and read a book or two. There might even be a book about the area that is age appropriate for an 8 year old to read themselves.

For all three kids take them to The Children's Playhoue https://goplayhouse.org/ My daughter works here for a few more weeks and I had the chance to tour it last week. Certainly things to do for an 8 year old and 2 year old, and some activities for parents and the 4 month old together.

Obviously take them around the campus-it never hurts to show then what could be part of their future or at least an option for their future.

How many days are you staying?

There is the hardest putt-putt course in the world on Hwy 105 and then there are go-karts just south of the putt-putt. (Again more for the 8 year old)

Drive to Vale Crucis and let the kids run wild in the open field that is part of the App campus.

Visit the candy store at either the Vale Crucis or Boone location.

When my three girls were upper primary/middle school age we did a three day vacation in Boone and needed more time, and we did not do much of the above to be honest.
I greatly appreciate that information and the fact that you took the time to type it all up. This is my first trip to the area with all three kids, and also the first with the two youngest. My oldest has been to the area before about 5 years ago. I know of many things to do more appropriate for my age, but want to make sure the kids really get the most. Definitely showing them the campus. We will be there 4 days and 3 nights.



User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 5841
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 904 times
Been thanked: 519 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:34 pm

glad the 8 year old will get Tweetsie. That is getting close to the upper limit of that magical age that can really enjoy it (until you become an old man and just want to go for the train ride.) My oldest was just about a year or two removed and though she had fun it was not the same as the fun the younger twins had. We still have the cowgirl hats they wore.

We took them back for the Halloween Tweetsie a few years later. Dear god it was so cold. Someone from upstate NY was complaining about the cold and wind waiting for the chair lift down. I let him go in front of me. I was too cold to care at that point. I assume our trip in August will be a bit warmer.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

MDaniels84
Posts: 1052
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:47 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 361 times
Been thanked: 332 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:19 am

McCleansville App covered just about everything but if you want to introduce them to a little fishing (with guaranteed catch), you might give Grandfather Mountain Trout Ponds a chance (in Foscoe , just off Hwy 105 close to entrance to Ski Hawksnest). Hope that you and your family have lots of fun! :)



NewApp
Posts: 3431
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 265 times
Been thanked: 216 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:34 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:21 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:39 pm
The park in downtown Blowing Rock has a nice play area for the boys. Small climbing wall for kids used to be there and I assume still is there.

The old Cone manor on the parkway is getting a painting and such that may be ongoing. I stopped by there after spring commencement. I would like to think an 8 year old could appreciate some of the history there. After that take them to the picnic area just south of Cone manor and have a picnic and the kids can play in the stream which will be nice if it is hot. Bring some spare clothes and let them change in the car/truck/van if the bathrooms are not open. If the water is a bit chilly it can be fun to jut wade in the stream and if that is too much stand by the bank and toss twigs in the streams and pretend they are boats and see which one wins a race.

Go north to the Cascades waterfall , again on the Parkway. Small hike to the waterfall.

Visit Howard('s) Knob.

If you are there when Dark Sky Observatory is having a public viewing then try and get tickets (free) https://dso.appstate.edu/public-access

Of course most of the above are not all that for a 4 month old and even a 2 year old.

For a short bit of down town drop in the county library and let them relax and read a book or two. There might even be a book about the area that is age appropriate for an 8 year old to read themselves.

For all three kids take them to The Children's Playhoue https://goplayhouse.org/ My daughter works here for a few more weeks and I had the chance to tour it last week. Certainly things to do for an 8 year old and 2 year old, and some activities for parents and the 4 month old together.

Obviously take them around the campus-it never hurts to show then what could be part of their future or at least an option for their future.

How many days are you staying?

There is the hardest putt-putt course in the world on Hwy 105 and then there are go-karts just south of the putt-putt. (Again more for the 8 year old)

Drive to Vale Crucis and let the kids run wild in the open field that is part of the App campus.

Visit the candy store at either the Vale Crucis or Boone location.

When my three girls were upper primary/middle school age we did a three day vacation in Boone and needed more time, and we did not do much of the above to be honest.
I greatly appreciate that information and the fact that you took the time to type it all up. This is my first trip to the area with all three kids, and also the first with the two youngest. My oldest has been to the area before about 5 years ago. I know of many things to do more appropriate for my age, but want to make sure the kids really get the most. Definitely showing them the campus. We will be there 4 days and 3 nights.
While you are in Blowing Rock, spend the few bucks to go out on the Rock and toss a kleenex down and watch it come back up and read the legend. The view is the best around. Visit the fudge shop across the street from the park.



User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 5841
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 904 times
Been thanked: 519 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 am

And if you miss the fudge shop in Blowing Rock the same company has a shop at the outlet mall just east of the Parkway in Blowing Rock.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

User avatar
Apptiger
Posts: 1844
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:16 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Work, golf course or doing honey do's
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by Apptiger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:11 am

Since your going to Grandfather, might check out Linville Falls and/or the Caverns. Depending on how the day is going and time available. The Falls should be easy and free.
Always found Price Park on the Parkway a great place for a picnic and stroll.



User avatar
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Stephens City, VA
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 486 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:58 am

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:34 am
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:21 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:39 pm
The park in downtown Blowing Rock has a nice play area for the boys. Small climbing wall for kids used to be there and I assume still is there.

The old Cone manor on the parkway is getting a painting and such that may be ongoing. I stopped by there after spring commencement. I would like to think an 8 year old could appreciate some of the history there. After that take them to the picnic area just south of Cone manor and have a picnic and the kids can play in the stream which will be nice if it is hot. Bring some spare clothes and let them change in the car/truck/van if the bathrooms are not open. If the water is a bit chilly it can be fun to jut wade in the stream and if that is too much stand by the bank and toss twigs in the streams and pretend they are boats and see which one wins a race.

Go north to the Cascades waterfall , again on the Parkway. Small hike to the waterfall.

Visit Howard('s) Knob.

If you are there when Dark Sky Observatory is having a public viewing then try and get tickets (free) https://dso.appstate.edu/public-access

Of course most of the above are not all that for a 4 month old and even a 2 year old.

For a short bit of down town drop in the county library and let them relax and read a book or two. There might even be a book about the area that is age appropriate for an 8 year old to read themselves.

For all three kids take them to The Children's Playhoue https://goplayhouse.org/ My daughter works here for a few more weeks and I had the chance to tour it last week. Certainly things to do for an 8 year old and 2 year old, and some activities for parents and the 4 month old together.

Obviously take them around the campus-it never hurts to show then what could be part of their future or at least an option for their future.

How many days are you staying?

There is the hardest putt-putt course in the world on Hwy 105 and then there are go-karts just south of the putt-putt. (Again more for the 8 year old)

Drive to Vale Crucis and let the kids run wild in the open field that is part of the App campus.

Visit the candy store at either the Vale Crucis or Boone location.

When my three girls were upper primary/middle school age we did a three day vacation in Boone and needed more time, and we did not do much of the above to be honest.
I greatly appreciate that information and the fact that you took the time to type it all up. This is my first trip to the area with all three kids, and also the first with the two youngest. My oldest has been to the area before about 5 years ago. I know of many things to do more appropriate for my age, but want to make sure the kids really get the most. Definitely showing them the campus. We will be there 4 days and 3 nights.
While you are in Blowing Rock, spend the few bucks to go out on the Rock and toss a kleenex down and watch it come back up and read the legend. The view is the best around. Visit the fudge shop across the street from the park.
Very familiar with this place as I used to biblically know a girl that worked at Kilwins.



User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 3901
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 738 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Fuzzy Holes is just 30 minutes away in TN.



User avatar
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Stephens City, VA
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 486 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Fuzzy Holes is just 30 minutes away in TN.
My two year old has discovered the word titties and even knows what it means. Might not be the best place simply because we're working on that word usage with him. Catchy name and I enjoyed reading the following review.


1 review
8 months ago
BYOB is stupid. High cover charge. The girls sat at the bar the whole time and didnt seem in
If you are from out of town, keep driving! You will be more entertained throwing cash into a busy intersection and watching homeless people fight over it, than what this place gives. First, it's BYOB!! Buy a liquor license, men come to establishments like this to take the "drama" out of women.. you guys just added that when you have to go to some crappy third world country liquor store down the road to get beer. Secondly, the place has rows of chairs designed like a labyrinth, to either a) keep you close to the stage, or b) just someone blocking you from the bathroom, in hopes you pissing yourself will bring a laugh to the dreary atmosphere. Finally, the girls here are literally 19-20 years old, at least the ones I met. So they can't drink, they're very robotic to what moves they make. It's just an uncomfortable atmosphere, knowing a girl with no butt is trying to twerk, because it's the cool thing on YouTube at the moment. Just because it's cool, don't make it your "signature" move. Try playing the innocent side, guys will dig that more than a tiny white girl with no butt trying to twerk. Literally almost every girl did this, oh and kept smacking themselves on the ass as if clockwork. Every 20-30 seconds, smack, "you like that". lol I'm serious, I'm not making this up. I've been to boat loads of strip clubs, and I usually have a better time at the "hole in the wall" clubs. But this one is just depressing in so many ways. It's the only strip club in the area, unless you go to Knoxville, TN.
My final thoughts; this place has a lot of potential. Insides are fairly big, plenty of parking, could have a lot of pretty college girls working for them is they marketed it properly, and they need a liquor license!!!



User avatar
NO.2
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by NO.2 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:39 pm

McL is not kidding about that putt-putt.

Most difficult course imaginable.



User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 3901
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 738 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:50 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:39 pm
McL is not kidding about that putt-putt.

Most difficult course imaginable.
"Play it as it lies!"



AppOrange
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:28 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 300 times
Been thanked: 124 times
Contact:

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:51 pm

My kids have and still love the awesome park in Valle Crucis, behind Mast. Go get them some candy then head to one of the shelters at the park for some sorting and eating. Good playground, lots of little houses for them to play in, even a stream they can go in. It’s really great.


1996

User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 5841
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 904 times
Been thanked: 519 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:37 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:39 pm
McL is not kidding about that putt-putt.

Most difficult course imaginable.
I'll be honest I was expecting some back-up on this before so many posts in the thread.

I was driving by there last Monday delivering some boxes and such for my daughter's move in a few weeks. All I could do was laugh one of those nervous laughs and think to myself, "May God have mercy on those poor souls" that were about to start playing.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

bigCasu
Posts: 5372
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:32 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 438 times
Contact:

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:50 pm
NO.2 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:39 pm
McL is not kidding about that putt-putt.

Most difficult course imaginable.
"Play it as it lies!"
The only putt putt course where a wedge is recommended.



User avatar
NattyBumppo'sRevenge
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 180 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:47 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:13 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Fuzzy Holes is just 30 minutes away in TN.
My two year old has discovered the word titties and even knows what it means. Might not be the best place simply because we're working on that word usage with him. Catchy name and I enjoyed reading the following review.


1 review
8 months ago
BYOB is stupid. High cover charge. The girls sat at the bar the whole time and didnt seem in
If you are from out of town, keep driving! You will be more entertained throwing cash into a busy intersection and watching homeless people fight over it, than what this place gives. First, it's BYOB!! Buy a liquor license, men come to establishments like this to take the "drama" out of women.. you guys just added that when you have to go to some crappy third world country liquor store down the road to get beer. Secondly, the place has rows of chairs designed like a labyrinth, to either a) keep you close to the stage, or b) just someone blocking you from the bathroom, in hopes you pissing yourself will bring a laugh to the dreary atmosphere. Finally, the girls here are literally 19-20 years old, at least the ones I met. So they can't drink, they're very robotic to what moves they make. It's just an uncomfortable atmosphere, knowing a girl with no butt is trying to twerk, because it's the cool thing on YouTube at the moment. Just because it's cool, don't make it your "signature" move. Try playing the innocent side, guys will dig that more than a tiny white girl with no butt trying to twerk. Literally almost every girl did this, oh and kept smacking themselves on the ass as if clockwork. Every 20-30 seconds, smack, "you like that". lol I'm serious, I'm not making this up. I've been to boat loads of strip clubs, and I usually have a better time at the "hole in the wall" clubs. But this one is just depressing in so many ways. It's the only strip club in the area, unless you go to Knoxville, TN.
My final thoughts; this place has a lot of potential. Insides are fairly big, plenty of parking, could have a lot of pretty college girls working for them is they marketed it properly, and they need a liquor license!!!
This the same as Mouse Ears?



Cro-Magnon App
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:25 pm
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: High Country Activities

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Lots of good trails to walk of all degrees - some with pretty good views.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 14 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests

    Most users ever online was 1049 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:01 am

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests