Changes to Campus Entrance

User avatar
MAD Doctor
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 396 times

Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:10 pm

Changes coming to the main campus entrance in the next month. Looks like the National Championships will be removed completely.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/as ... ium=social



8993
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:18 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by 8993 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:52 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the final product later this summer. While it's unfortunate that the National Championships plaque is being removed, I'm okay with it with us having taken a step up in the competitive landscape now. Excited to see this new Founders Plaza!



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 24956
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 706 times
Been thanked: 764 times

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:00 am

My wife and I were on campus Saturday for the App Summer--Kool & The Gang concert at HCC. It's clear that a major construction project is in progress at the main entrance. It's all good *except* I gotta admit I don't quite get the use of "concrete pavers" given what literally everyone knows about five-month plus High Country winters and the heavy use of ice melt minerals and chemicals on campus. Doh! Expensive, never-ending maintenance ahead!


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp
Posts: 3602
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 230 times

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:13 am

asu66 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:00 am
My wife and I were on campus Saturday for the App Summer--Kool & The Gang concert at HCC. It's clear that a major construction project is in progress at the main entrance. It's all good *except* I gotta admit I don't quite get the use of "concrete pavers" given what literally everyone knows about five-month plus High Country winters and the heavy use of ice melt minerals and chemicals on campus. Doh! Expensive, never-ending maintenance ahead!
What would you suggest in place of concrete? Brick or asphalt? Which is better?



bigCasu
Posts: 5400
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:32 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 486 times
Contact:

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 am

I was able to catch a few glimpses of the deconstruction. They carefully removed the boulders, hopefully to repurpose and recycle at the same location.



User avatar
NO.2
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 192 times

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:32 am

I've always missed the really tall trees that used to stand in the area behind the sign until about 4-5 years ago.


NewApp wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:03 am
Now for the ones who think I have a negative miserable life....beat that

NewApp
Posts: 3602
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 230 times

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:11 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:10 pm
Changes coming to the main campus entrance in the next month. Looks like the National Championships will be removed completely.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/as ... ium=social
I would like to know whose idea it was to remove the National Championships sign. Just because we moved to FBS doesn't negate the value of recognizing our accomplishments in FCS.



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 24956
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 706 times
Been thanked: 764 times

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:16 am

NewApp wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:13 am
asu66 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:00 am
My wife and I were on campus Saturday for the App Summer--Kool & The Gang concert at HCC. It's clear that a major construction project is in progress at the main entrance. It's all good *except* I gotta admit I don't quite get the use of "concrete pavers" given what literally everyone knows about five-month plus High Country winters and the h, (4)slateeavy use of ice melt minerals and chemicals on campus. Doh! Expensive, never-ending maintenance ahead!
What would you suggest in place of concrete? Brick or asphalt? Which is better?
I'd write specs requiring bids for (1) high-temp-fired and textured porcelain brick, (2) high-temp-fired, interlocking paver-brick, (3) slate and (4) high-temp-fired and textured terracotta. I'd include in the bid specs that any material(s) that are subject to spalling damage caused by the daily freeze-thaw cycle be excluded from consideration.


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 5999
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 982 times
Been thanked: 578 times

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:45 am

I thought I posted about the Academy St changes but I don't think it made it to the board. With Academy St being a pedestrian walkway will there be any lose of Yosef Club parking. If I have the App campus in my mind correct it seems there were a few parking spots here.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

bigCasu
Posts: 5400
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:32 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 486 times
Contact:

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by bigCasu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:17 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:45 am
I thought I posted about the Academy St changes but I don't think it made it to the board. With Academy St being a pedestrian walkway will there be any lose of Yosef Club parking. If I have the App campus in my mind correct it seems there were a few parking spots here.
I've heard that around 30 parking spaces were lost.



User avatar
DaphneUrquhart
Posts: 1695
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:58 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Mayberry
Has thanked: 1304 times
Been thanked: 938 times

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:45 am
I thought I posted about the Academy St changes but I don't think it made it to the board. With Academy St being a pedestrian walkway will there be any lose of Yosef Club parking. If I have the App campus in my mind correct it seems there were a few parking spots here.
Yes, we're losing some of the University Drive parking. That area was supposed to be young alum parking. I believe the Yosef office is reviewing those spots to be sure we have only young alums parking there.


Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Strive for wisdom.

#GiveYosef

User avatar
asu66
Posts: 24956
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 706 times
Been thanked: 764 times

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:25 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:13 am
asu66 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:00 am
My wife and I were on campus Saturday for the App Summer--Kool & The Gang concert at HCC. It's clear that a major construction project is in progress at the main entrance. It's all good *except* I gotta admit I don't quite get the use of "concrete pavers" given what literally everyone knows about five-month plus High Country winters and the heavy use of ice melt minerals and chemicals on campus. Doh! Expensive, never-ending maintenance ahead!
What would you suggest in place of concrete? Brick or asphalt? Which is better?


I'd write language into the bid specs eliminating from consideration any and all materials subject to spalling during the freeze-thaw cycle. I'd require bids on highly-specialized commercial pavers to include (1) high-temp-fired and textured porcelain brick, (2) high-temp-fired, interlocking paver-brick, (3) slate and (4) high-temp-fired and textured terracotta.


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 4757
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 778 times

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:38 pm




User avatar
MAD Doctor
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 396 times

Re: Changes to Campus Entrance

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Nice!



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests