Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Game Day Parking Changes Coming

TheMoody1
School: Appalachian State

Game Day Parking Changes Coming

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:29 pm

The Rock

Re: Game Day Parking Changes Coming

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:30 pm

based on some of these answers, it seems we have committed to this project without fully understanding the impact it has on the university as a whole and especially the future for gameday.
surprising and disappointing this wasn't thought through more completley

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:47 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:30 pm
based on some of these answers, it seems we have committed to this project without fully understanding the impact it has on the university as a whole and especially the future for gameday.
surprising and disappointing this wasn't thought through more completley
The housing project to construct and expand modern dorm offerings have been thought through. The impact on the campus as a whole as they work on it is minimum. The effects on gameday is a secondary problem when compared to housing needs. When completed, there will be more stadium parking (surface + deck), maybe less tailgating area. Plus Justice will be fully redone, that will be good for football. There was a full write up on it in the Democrat sometime in the last month. It has details on how the parking will be addressed.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:20 pm

What appgrouch said!

And we all need to internalize the fact that this will be Appalachian's first serious experience with a P3 project. Murphy's Law will make it an adventure from time-to-time. Growing pains are already baked into the casserole, but it's really a nice problem to have.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:27 pm

One thing to also remember, 2019 is the perfect year for it. No major home games. Georgia Southern will be a Thursday night in all likelihood which eliminates the issue.

The overall university needs this and long term this is a big step forward for Appalachian.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:41 pm

This is good stuff. Right now, having a big asphalt parking lot in the middle of West Campus makes no sense. If we're going to recruit the best students and the best student-athletes, we need much better facilities (including living space) for them to look at and live in. Yes, it's going to be a headache. The headache will be temporary and will be for long-term gain.

I'm one of those who parks very close to the stadium now. In all honesty, I'll be happy with wherever I park next year knowing that things are going to be even better in 2020.

#HereWeGrow
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:52 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:41 pm
This is good stuff. Right now, having a big asphalt parking lot in the middle of West Campus makes no sense. If we're going to recruit the best students and the best student-athletes, we need much better facilities (including living space) for them to look at and live in. Yes, it's going to be a headache. The headache will be temporary and will be for long-term gain.

I'm one of those who parks very close to the stadium now. In all honesty, I'll be happy with wherever I park next year knowing that things are going to be even better in 2020.

#HereWeGrow

Basically, students are kicked out of dorms after they finish their freshman year.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

High Country Student

Unread post by High Country Student » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:25 pm

We're about that Philadelphia 76er state of mind right now #TrustTheProcess

But seriously, I hate being in a deck. they are terrible for tailgating unless you're on the roof. I hate that the stadium lot is being minimized in terms of available parking not located within a deck. BUT, this is 100% the right move. The positives outweigh the negatives and its not even close. We all know Boone needs more parking and I would imagine with a new deck that will help. I can also confirm the majority of dorms on that side of campus are old and in pretty rough condition including the dorm that we house our freshmen football players aka the place recruits probably see. If we better not only that dorm but all of the dorms around, we will continue to put ourself in a position to attract higher caliber students as well as higher caliber athletes. With growth comes adjustment. It's a good problem to have. Means we are doing something right!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:17 pm

I agree the dorms need to be renovated and there is much room for improvement especially on the west side campus.
And there is a need for more parking in Boone, however the deck isn’t going to help that. Unless it is open for the public or really cheap, tourists aren’t going to be able to park there and off campus students will continue to park on king street for cheap parking for classes.
I think an improvement, both aesthetically and functionally could have been achieved while not disrupting the tailgating atmosphere. Wasn’t the idea of a parking deck in peacock hall mentioned at one point? It seems as that would be more beneficial because it is more centrally located and closer to king street if the public is allowed to use it.
It seems like we could achieve the needed dorm space by rebuilding at the site of the demolished dorm and renovating the west side dorms one at a time, like was done on the east side, and still do the field house renovations.
Duck pond field will be lost except for a small “courtyard “ that will be surrounded by buildings and will never see any sunshine.
I’m not trying to be a pessimist, it just seems like there are alternatives to achieve our end goal and this decision was rushed into, and I don’t like the P3 concept because even though the Board supposedly has the final say, realistically, the developers who actually have the money are going to be the ones calling the shots

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:07 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:17 pm
I agree the dorms need to be renovated and there is much room for improvement especially on the west side campus.
And there is a need for more parking in Boone, however the deck isn’t going to help that. Unless it is open for the public or really cheap, tourists aren’t going to be able to park there and off campus students will continue to park on king street for cheap parking for classes.
I think an improvement, both aesthetically and functionally could have been achieved while not disrupting the tailgating atmosphere. Wasn’t the idea of a parking deck in peacock hall mentioned at one point? It seems as that would be more beneficial because it is more centrally located and closer to king street if the public is allowed to use it.
It seems like we could achieve the needed dorm space by rebuilding at the site of the demolished dorm and renovating the west side dorms one at a time, like was done on the east side, and still do the field house renovations.
Duck pond field will be lost except for a small “courtyard “ that will be surrounded by buildings and will never see any sunshine.
I’m not trying to be a pessimist, it just seems like there are alternatives to achieve our end goal and this decision was rushed into, and I don’t like the P3 concept because even though the Board supposedly has the final say, realistically, the developers who actually have the money are going to be the ones calling the shots
What is the P3 concept?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:38 pm

No P3 , no improvements anytime soon.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:57 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:07 pm
The Rock wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:17 pm
What is the P3 concept?

Public/private partnership
Private developers fund state projects on public property in exchange for $$

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:41 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:57 pm
Public/private partnership
Private developers fund state projects on public property in exchange for $$
And they own the property/building but lease it to the university with a purchase option down the line.

Here's the original story on the project. More is linked in the story.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/as ... e8307.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”