Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Dark Sky and Homecoming

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Dark Sky and Homecoming

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:02 pm

I am not sure if this was planned or just a nice coincidence but Dark Sky Observatory is having a viewing session on the 29th. One session is 7:30 to 9:00 and the other session is from 9:30 to 11:00

Tickets are (edit:not) free and required. They let in about 30 per session. I do know about 5 planets are in view from around sunset to well past when the last session ends. I am not sure what may be blocked by the trees around DSO but I think Saturn should be in view which is also a delight to see in a telescope.

https://dso.appstate.edu/
Last edited by McLeansvilleAppFan on Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rick83

Re: Dark Sky and Homecoming

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:36 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:02 pm
I am not sure if this was planned or just a nice coincidence but Dark Sky Observatory is having a viewing session on the 29th. One session is 7:30 to 9:00 and the other session is from 9:30 to 11:00

Tickets are free but required. They let in about 30 per session. I do know about 5 planets are in view from around sunset to well past when the last session ends. I am not sure what may be blocked by the trees around DSO but I think Saturn should be in view which is also a delight to see in a telescope.

That's cool. My son is only a sophomore in high school but we're going to start some local college visits and the first will be Oct 5th and 6th at App no less. The 5th is a Friday night session at the Dark Sky Observatory and I'm stoked about it. I went into Accounting and Finance but have always loved science and my son is totally a science and technology kid. I've never been to the Observatory and can't wait!

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:24 am

Tickets are free but required. They let in about 30 per session. I do know about 5 planets are in view from around sunset to well past when the last session ends. I am not sure what may be blocked by the trees around DSO but I think Saturn should be in view which is also a delight to see in a telescope.

I'm trying to sign up for tickets and they are $10 each. How do you get free tickets?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:03 am

Maybe they are not free now. At one time it was free. I was hoping to go myself. I'll contact the good professor and see what he has to say about this. It may be they decided to force payment to one)cover cost of electricity and two) prevent so many from requesting tickets and then not showing up.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:28 pm

StorminASU wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:24 am

I'm trying to sign up for tickets and they are $10 each. How do you get free tickets?
I emailed Dr. Caton and it is true that tickets are no longer free. He gave a few reasons but basically this outreach is done without any real financial support from the university. He needs to offset the costs of the ticketing system and tickets are needed for crowd control. He guarantees a show or talk now even if the clouds roll in. And this knocks down the number of no-shows that were asking for tickets and then not showing up.

In my view it is still worth the cost, though I enjoy the view through a telescope and don't mind tossing a few dollars their way. What DSO has to offer in size of telescope and a dark sky is something that can not be beat in North Carolina.

If I can be of any more help just ask and I will do what I can to get an answer.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:36 am

That's cool. My son is only a sophomore in high school but we're going to start some local college visits and the first will be Oct 5th and 6th at App no less. The 5th is a Friday night session at the Dark Sky Observatory and I'm stoked about it. I went into Accounting and Finance but have always loved science and my son is totally a science and technology kid. I've never been to the Observatory and can't wait!
My wife graduated from the App Chem department and I went through the App Physics and Astronomy Dept. If your son has any questions about either of these departments I might be able to help. We graduated in 92 so things have changed but I have tried to stay in contact with Physics over the years and know some of the professors and instructors and I am not totally out of the loop yet.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:07 pm

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:31 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:36 am

My wife graduated from the App Chem department and I went through the App Physics and Astronomy Dept. If your son has any questions about either of these departments I might be able to help. We graduated in 92 so things have changed but I have tried to stay in contact with Physics over the years and know some of the professors and instructors and I am not totally out of the loop yet.
I appreciate that offer. His interests tend to shift around but he really loved his biology class last year and loves his chemistry class this year and has always had an interest in technology. Teachers have been known to pull him out of class to assist with an IT issue that they're having. He's just a sophomore so he's got time to figure it out but I'll keep your offer in mind. Thanks!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:30 pm

I was at the 7:30 session and the clouds and possible rain kept the dome closed. Dr. Caton gave an interesting talk about the solar eclipse, dark skies and lighting, and some on the history of Dark Sky Observatory.

One of the student helpers mentioned there is an open house next Friday. I can't get back but for those in the area it might be worth looking into. Those are the only details I know of for next week, though the public observing is every month.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”