Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App Open House

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

App Open House

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Went to Boone today, which was weird with no game, but parked in the Stadium lot and took a meditative moment and looked longingly at the stadium and I swear there's some kind of energy that just emanates from that field.
Anyway, took my son on his first official college visit and I have to say I was really impressed with how the university orchestrated it. We visited the Dark Sky Observatory last night, and then visited the Computer Science, Biology, and Chemistry departments today during the main event. All 4 areas were interesting and well-represented by professors and some students. However, the Student Ambassadors were outstanding...they handled the official campus tours and answered questions, had amazing enthusiasm, charm, and were just fun. My son has been on campus many, many times growing up going to games but this was his first real exposure to the academic side and he liked it. He's just a sophomore but he's meandering around on possible schools and potential majors so we thought it might be a good idea to go ahead with the visits, plus we want to make sure we plan his Junior and Senior years appropriately. It was a great experience and I was feeling particularly proud our university today.

AppinVA

Re: App Open House

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:32 pm

I took my daughter last week on a regular tour. I’ve been with her to a number of places, and we agreed that App was the first one to conduct a tour without, as she put it, “pretence.” App went from a place she was applying to in order to pacify her parents to No.2 (behind Duke), with a bullet.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:43 pm
Went to Boone today, which was weird with no game, but parked in the Stadium lot and took a meditative moment and looked longingly at the stadium and I swear there's some kind of energy that just emanates from that field.
Anyway, took my son on his first official college visit and I have to say I was really impressed with how the university orchestrated it. We visited the Dark Sky Observatory last night, and then visited the Computer Science, Biology, and Chemistry departments today during the main event. All 4 areas were interesting and well-represented by professors and some students. However, the Student Ambassadors were outstanding...they handled the official campus tours and answered questions, had amazing enthusiasm, charm, and were just fun. My son has been on campus many, many times growing up going to games but this was his first real exposure to the academic side and he liked it. He's just a sophomore but he's meandering around on possible schools and potential majors so we thought it might be a good idea to go ahead with the visits, plus we want to make sure we plan his Junior and Senior years appropriately. It was a great experience and I was feeling particularly proud our university today.
You had me at Dark Sky and then visiting Garwood and Rankin. I have lots of great thoughts of Rankin.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:01 pm

I really hope my daughter at Meredith goes to grad school at App. Hopefully they will offer her more money than they did for her and her twin two years ago. App missed out on two wonderful students due to lack of a larger endowment. (And here ends my plug to please give to the Appalachian Fund to expand scholarship opportunities.)

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:45 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:58 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:43 pm
You had me at Dark Sky and then visiting Garwood and Rankin. I have lots of great thoughts of Rankin.
The professor at Dark Sky was awesome and the students were too. Their passion for their discipline came through for sure but they were also just fun, cool people. Loved it..

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:49 pm

Good ole' Dr. Caton (I am sure that was the professor there). A few years ago he asked me to write him a reference for an award for the entire UNC system. I felt so inadequate but so honored to be asked.

I had Dr. Gray for Astronomy and Dr. Caton was one of the few in the Physics and Astronomy Dept I did not have as a professor but have gotten to know him after graduation. He is a great professor!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:14 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:49 pm
Good ole' Dr. Caton (I am sure that was the professor there). A few years ago he asked me to write him a reference for an award for the entire UNC system. I felt so inadequate but so honored to be asked.

I had Dr. Gray for Astronomy and Dr. Caton was one of the few in the Physics and Astronomy Dept I did not have as a professor but have gotten to know him after graduation. He is a great professor!
Yep, it was Dr. Caton and he was really cool and obviously highly intelligent. What I liked was that he wasn't really trying to "sell" the Physics and Astronomy program but was explaining what they did and letting the program "sell" itself. In fact, he looked directly at my son and said "so, you need to find your passion and then pursue it like crazy." I found myself wanting to sign up and go back to school...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”