Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Streaming Services question

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Streaming Services question

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:14 pm

I moved this from a football topic thread because it peaked my interest.....

As a loyal Directv subscriber for years, after they merged with ATT, their service, pricing, and just about everything went downhill quickly. I complained, a lot, and they have bent over backwards to keep me as a customer. They recently gave me an offer I couldn’t refuse, but it expires early next year and I have a feeling I would have squeezed them completely dry by then. My plan is to move completely to streaming services. I’d love to hear anybody’s ideal combination for a family with two elementary aged kids and a dad who is obsessed with sports, especially App football. I don’t mind spending money as long as I get quality.
The Appalachian State

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: Streaming Services question

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:28 pm

Get espn+. Netflix is nice and they have kids programming, but generally keep you kids away from the TV. A little PBS after school if ok. Give them a book to read instead.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:00 pm

I use Hulu Live TV on fire sticks. You get the shows on Hulu plus live tv streaming of most kids channels, sports channels, and all local channels (at least in the Charlotte area).
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:08 pm

We were discussing this in another thread. I use Sling TV and it suits me and my daughter. Orange package is 25 month with ESPN espn2 Disney, Tbs, tnt, food... you can add sports package for 5 a month for ESPNU which I did today just for tomorrow. They also have a Blue Package that gives you fox sports nfl... I don’t miss regular tv in the least.

AppState1

Unread post by AppState1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:25 pm

YoutubeTV has been great for us. On week 3. 40 bucks a month. DirecTV contract ends Friday (we agreed to an additional year for a discount. Have had them for 7 years or so) and will cancel then. We will easily save a hundred bucks a month. Wife approval factor. We do have 3 xbox ones, 2 rokus, and 3 chromecasts.
We also have Netflix , Amazon Prime Video, and ESPN+. YTTV has an impressive sports lineup, and yourYoutubeTV login also allows access to WatchESPN.

A2534

Unread post by A2534 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:34 pm

Playstation Vue on Firetv. Works great for us. Used roughly 2 years now. All mm the sports networks, locals, HD, DVR, etc. Can stream to 5 tvs at same time! Have not regretted leaving DTV for a second!
Will caution that you need a higher end router to handle HD streaming to multiple tvs. Basic off the shelf from target likely won't be a good experience!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:49 pm

AppState1 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:25 pm
YoutubeTV has been great for us. On week 3. 40 bucks a month. DirecTV contract ends Friday (we agreed to an additional year for a discount. Have had them for 7 years or so) and will cancel then. We will easily save a hundred bucks a month. Wife approval factor. We do have 3 xbox ones, 2 rokus, and 3 chromecasts.
We also have Netflix , Amazon Prime Video, and ESPN+. YTTV has an impressive sports lineup, and yourYoutubeTV login also allows access to WatchESPN.
Haha. This sounds like where I will end up. I already have an Amazon fire Stick with prime and I have NetFlix. I’ve heard great things about PS Vue and more recently YouTube TV for the sports. I’m setting my dads house up with Hulu and some new networking so he can drop Directv after 18 years with them...
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:56 pm

A2534 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:34 pm
Playstation Vue on Firetv. Works great for us. Used roughly 2 years now. All mm the sports networks, locals, HD, DVR, etc. Can stream to 5 tvs at same time! Have not regretted leaving DTV for a second!
Will caution that you need a higher end router to handle HD streaming to multiple tvs. Basic off the shelf from target likely won't be a good experience!
That’s good to hear. Seems like Vue or Hulu are the way to go to not get too much of a drop off on locals/sports/and major media stations. Honestly, my kids are not as big of a deal since they are content with NetFlix whenever they want to watch something. I’ve heard a lot about Vue and currently have a few Firesticks, so I’m familiar with the Firetv platform. I have a pretty highly rated Asus router, but I would probably do some powerline adapters to each of my three TVs and buy Fire TV boxes for them to avoid the WiFi issues, I have the 1000mbs, so it should handle multiple streams just fine.

Thank you
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:02 pm

Boonegoon wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:08 pm
We were discussing this in another thread. I use Sling TV and it suits me and my daughter. Orange package is 25 month with ESPN espn2 Disney, Tbs, tnt, food... you can add sports package for 5 a month for ESPNU which I did today just for tomorrow. They also have a Blue Package that gives you fox sports nfl... I don’t miss regular tv in the least.
I thought I saw a thread in the past, but I wasn’t sure how long ago and wanted to get an update from folks... sorry if it was redundant.
The Appalachian State

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:30 pm

YouTube TV
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:58 am

I have Roku and Smart TV and prefer the Roku. Through Roku, I stream Netflix, Amazon Prime with HBO, and HuluLiveTV. I used to do SlingTV, but got frustrated with them. Through the HuluLiveTV subscription, you can logon to WatchESPN, but have to pay $5 for ESPN+ to watch most App games. Overall, I have liked the move from Sling to Hulu, however, Hulu does not currently carry AMC, so if you are a Walking Dead fan, you might want Sling. Otherwise, HuluLiveTV is better as it also includes local channels and most local sports stations that you have to pay extra for through Sling. Amazon Prime also provides discounts for online ordering, shipping, and Whole Foods discounts. Netflix has a bunch of good original shows and mainstream. All of these offer plenty of kids options, more than you can get through.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:26 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:58 am
I have Roku and Smart TV and prefer the Roku. Through Roku, I stream Netflix, Amazon Prime with HBO, and HuluLiveTV. I used to do SlingTV, but got frustrated with them. Through the HuluLiveTV subscription, you can logon to WatchESPN, but have to pay $5 for ESPN+ to watch most App games. Overall, I have liked the move from Sling to Hulu, however, Hulu does not currently carry AMC, so if you are a Walking Dead fan, you might want Sling. Otherwise, HuluLiveTV is better as it also includes local channels and most local sports stations that you have to pay extra for through Sling. Amazon Prime also provides discounts for online ordering, shipping, and Whole Foods discounts. Netflix has a bunch of good original shows and mainstream. All of these offer plenty of kids options, more than you can get through.
Good info, I don’t care about the Walking Dead, but love Better Call Saul. I do believe Saul is on NetFlix though, which I have. I also have Prime currently, but have never utilized the TV stuff other than the Jack Ryan series. My big thing is the major networks, local stations. I got to have my Hornets, all college football, NFL and stuff. The rest of it, no one is tied to in my house.
The Appalachian State

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:35 pm

I am a Directv long timer and love it for most part. Most of my normal programming I DVR it and watch later. I do Fire Stick for most streaming with Prime, Hulu and ESPN+, basically anything I don't use DTV for. Also have a ROKU that I used to use for ESPN prior to ESPN+ this year but basically watch it all on Stick now. I have AT&T 1000 Mbs so feed is not an issue. How have folks that dropped DTV or cable and gone to pure streaming performed for DVR scenarios i.e. watched recorded stuff later and not always a specific tv/network show?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”