Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Major donation!

scatman77

Major donation!

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:40 pm

Now that I have your attention, by now you know that Josh Norman made a major contribution to CCU and it was acknowledged at the game yesterday. The new field house has his name on it.

That being said how many Mountaineers in the pros have made any contributions (much less major ones) to our program or our athletic department in general? To my knowledge very few if any have. Someone in the know please correct me or let us know if it has happened.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Major donation!

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:20 pm

I can’t think of one that has made or is making Norman money. Sam Martin is making 2.0mm a year after tax 1.4. Lamm 1.0mm

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:20 pm
I can’t think of one that has made or is making Norman money. Sam Martin is making 2.0mm a year after tax 1.4. Lamm 1.0mm

The game program for each home game carries a Yosef Club donor section in the back that lists donors within defined categories. It's only as accurate as the typesetters and proofers, but it's all we'll ever see. I don't have one near but from memory of page #1 of the YC section I can name former Detroit Lion all-pro DT Larry Hand (Class of '64) as a scholarship donor. That's a serious annual donation. Pro salaries in the 60s and 70s pale in comparison with those of this era. Larry put his Appalachian degree to work as a securities broker after his playing career was over. The scholarship, btw, is just one of many ways Larry supports/and has supported ASU over the years.

Former App scholarship athletes, as a group, do not have an exemplary giving record to athletics. There are many exceptions...just not nearly enough. Some hold old grudges about their treatment by ADs or coaches from years gone by. Some are regular donors to the university but choose not to designate their gifts to athletics for whatever reason.

To be completely honest, some just make excuses.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:58 pm

Yes Sir, excuses by the barrel.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:59 pm

We all need to give more until we can at least fully fund all scholarships. A lot of our sports compete with less scholarships than the NCAA allows.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:28 pm

asu66 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:48 pm
Rekdiver wrote:

The game program for each home game carries a Yosef Club donor section in the back that lists donors within defined categories. It's only as accurate as the typesetters and proofers, but it's all we'll ever see. I don't have one near but from memory of page #1 of the YC section I can name former Detroit Lion all-pro DT Larry Hand (Class of '64) as a scholarship donor. That's a serious annual donation. Pro salaries in the 60s and 70s pale in comparison with those of this era. Larry put his Appalachian degree to work as a securities broker after his playing career was over. The scholarship, btw, is just one of many ways Larry supports/and has supported ASU over the years.

Former App scholarship athletes, as a group, do not have an exemplary giving record to athletics. There are many exceptions...just not nearly enough. Some hold old grudges about their treatment by ADs or coaches from years gone by. Some are regular donors to the university but choose not to designate their gifts to athletics for whatever reason.

I'm not going to judge those who don't give as much as Josh Norman, or who give only a little. I do have a concern with those who have made it to Sunday afternoon yet won't give even enough to get a parking space. If this retired public school teacher can give something then a professional athlete ought to be able to give something as well.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:17 am

If Appalachian made a difference in your life , I'm of the opinion you give back, and that giving makes a difference in others lives...

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:26 am

asu66 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:48 pm
Rekdiver wrote:

asu66, you were in the same dorm (old Newland) with Larry at least part of the time you were at App, weren't you, Chuck?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”