Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Article: App State Athletics Loses Money, Sends Students the Bill

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Article: App State Athletics Loses Money, Sends Students the Bill

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:56 pm

bcoach wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:47 pm
Not to be ugly but send your kids to UNC or UNCG or NCSU or UNCW.. oh wait their costs are as much as ours....ok then go to the community college where there are no athletics. The article singles out App but they’ve done the same to other schools. It’s factual but taken out of context with the real world.
Also not to be ugly. Send your kids to another school is not an answer. I don't really care about the other schools. What I care about is ours. Our fans are not carrying their weight they are laying it on the backs of the students and their parents. Our fans have a great deal, way too great a deal. We should not be able to spend way more than we have and then just TAX the students and their parents. They have absolutely no say they just have to pay. We on here want all these things for the department but we expect someone else to pay for it. "The other schools do it" is not an answer. Remember when mom asked if you would jump off the bridge if your friends did? Please know I mean this as discussion not argument. We fans need to be supporting our own demands.
I agree fans need to foot the bill but outside of a few universities they don’t.
Between our lousy General Assembly and the P5/ESPN monopoly it forces the subject.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:56 pm
bcoach wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Not to be ugly but send your kids to UNC or UNCG or NCSU or UNCW.. oh wait their costs are as much as ours....ok then go to the community college where there are no athletics. The article singles out App but they’ve done the same to other schools. It’s factual but taken out of context with the real world.
Also not to be ugly. Send your kids to another school is not an answer. I don't really care about the other schools. What I care about is ours. Our fans are not carrying their weight they are laying it on the backs of the students and their parents. Our fans have a great deal, way too great a deal. We should not be able to spend way more than we have and then just TAX the students and their parents. They have absolutely no say they just have to pay. We on here want all these things for the department but we expect someone else to pay for it. "The other schools do it" is not an answer. Remember when mom asked if you would jump off the bridge if your friends did? Please know I mean this as discussion not argument. We fans need to be supporting our own demands.
I agree fans need to foot the bill but outside of a few universities they don’t.
Between our lousy General Assembly and the P5/ESPN monopoly it forces the subject.
There actually IS something that we can do about our lousy General Assembly..........

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:46 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:16 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
There actually IS something that we can do about our lousy General Assembly..........
Yes there is but do you mean that they should be supporting athletics? Isn't that just looking for someone else to pay for our entertainment? Should we not just live within our means?

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:34 pm

Professors need a scoreboard. Hard to judge if they are good or not. And everybody is overpaid.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:22 am

I would bet all the talk and publicity App state and, Boone especially, received during our bowl game on ESPN did way more for the school and area than any other kind of advertising or outreach App could have done.
Our sports teams can be valuable ambassadors for our school

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 am

I think many on this thread are getting defensive and talking past each other.

The author of the article isn't saying football should go away, or that it doesn't have some benefits re: publicity. He is saying that the benefits of football don't justify the massive cost that the students are shouldering. Most of us on this board did not pay the kind of fees that current students pay. Not even close. And even if we buy season tickets and support the Yosef Club, most of us aren't even close to covering our share of the true cost of the athletics program--or even just the football program.

This stuff is expensive, and everyone wants the nice stuff but no one wants to pay for it.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:46 am

bcoach wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:46 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Yes there is but do you mean that they should be supporting athletics? Isn't that just looking for someone else to pay for our entertainment? Should we not just live within our means?
No, not athletics. But the GA should pay more per student head than they do which would allow University staff to have a raise. Teaching staff hasn't had an increase in eight years. Philip Byers, an AppState grad who is a member of the UNC System Board of Governors, spoke about this during his address at the graduation last Saturday. He talked about how Everts and he are making headway to get AppState per student funding at least up to the UNC System average as we are dead last.

The NC Constitution states that higher education should be as free as practical. During a 9 year economic boom we should have better funded education but the NC General Assembly has not. The people of NC deserve better. NC students deserve better. NC teachers deserve better.

Educational funding of public education throughout the first 90 years of the last century is why NC has separated itself above our Southern peer states.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:51 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:46 am
bcoach wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
bcoach wrote:

No, not athletics. But the GA should pay more per student head than they do which would allow University staff to have a raise. Teaching staff hasn't had an increase in eight years. Philip Byers, an AppState grad who is a member of the UNC System Board of Governors, spoke about this during his address at the graduation last Saturday. He talked about how Everts and he are making headway to get AppState per student funding at least up to the UNC System average as we are dead last.

The NC Constitution states that higher education should be as free as practical. During a 9 year economic boom we should have better funded education but the NC General Assembly has not. The people of NC deserve better. NC students deserve better. NC teachers deserve better.

Educational funding of public education throughout the first 90 years of the last century is why NC has separated itself above our Southern peer states.
Funny thing is that we don't have money for raises but we have money for buildings. I wonder if the increased funding would go for raises or more buildings.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:57 am

bcoach wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:51 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Funny thing is that we don't have money for raises but we have money for buildings. I wonder if the increased funding would go for raises or more buildings.

we really don't have money for buildings. The only way we can get buildings renovated as in Sanford Hall is to issue debt and then add a Sanford Hall debt service fee to every student's tuition bill for the next 30 years.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:00 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:57 am
bcoach wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:51 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:

we really don't have money for buildings. The only way we can get buildings renovated as in Sanford Hall is to issue debt and then add a Sanford Hall debt service fee to every student's tuition bill for the next 30 years.
Sad

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”