Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Stadium Area Pics

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
School: Appalachian State

Re: Stadium Area Pics

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:40 am
My AD gives the people what they want.

No other way to put it.

D.G. is the shit
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Let me get that awning

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:51 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:42 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:40 am
My AD gives the people what they want.

No other way to put it.

D.G. is the shit
It's great to be a Mountaineer! Go DG, Go DG, Go!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:06 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:31 pm
I'm puzzled with something though. Owens is going down right now, and construction of the new EZ facility will supposedly begin shortly thereafter. DG has also repeated that the track plan is to remove track prior to 2020 season, "based on timeline and resources to move and build the new track." Which leaves some wiggle room on the time frame for the track removal depending on resources.

All the renderings, including the new ones that we all got through the Yosef Club, show the new EZ facility pretty close to the endline of the endzone, which is great. It would be idiotic and short-sighted to build that structure one track-width away from the field.

Obviously the track would be unusable for T&F if there's a building sitting on it. Are we going to pause all construction of the EZ facility until we can fund, plan, and build the old WHS athletic complex track? Are we going to build this fantastic new facility one track-width from the field?
The project is still in design and bidding phase. I doubt we will see construction till late summer/ fall. But you bring up a good point that there is currently not a track and field project that had been submitted for biding nor has any anoucement been made concerning the home of track and field.

https://pdc.appstate.edu/projects/kidd- ... h-end-zone

Edit: found the track relocation. It’s on a different part of the website. https://pdc.appstate.edu/advertisements and is still being advertised.

WarApp

Unread post by WarApp » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:35 am

The track program needs a place to train/practice, which they can do on parts of the track not closed off to EZ facility construction. They obviously won't have any home meets until the new facility is constructed, at which time the remainder of the existing track will be removed.

Not ideal, especially for the track program, but none of this is. Gonna be a wild 12-18 months.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:23 pm

Give me a bulldozer and I’ll get rid of the track and we can plant grass where it was. No need to put expensive turf down.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:29 pm

You will have mud.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:50 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:29 pm
You will have mud.
Mud can be easily wiped away with all the crying towels GS fans bring up this year.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:29 pm
You will have mud.
So...let there be mud!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:42 pm

Nah. Let’s go with functional space.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 am

I wish we replaced the track with a “sidewalk” with hedeges or Rhodo’s separating the fans from sidelines.

This would allow for students/fans to enter and exit field-level throughout the game without everyone having to exit underneath the stands. By adding this new egress it also allows for future stadium expansion as better crowd control would be in place.

In addition to the functionality, I think it would be more visually pleasing than massive amounts of turf.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:26 am

Hindsight we should have opened a design contest for how the track area could be used and sculpted. AppDawgs comments are a good example.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:46 am

AppDawg wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 am
I wish we replaced the track with a “sidewalk” with hedeges or Rhodo’s separating the fans from sidelines.

This would allow for students/fans to enter and exit field-level throughout the game without everyone having to exit underneath the stands. By adding this new egress it also allows for future stadium expansion as better crowd control would be in place.

In addition to the functionality, I think it would be more visually pleasing than massive amounts of turf.
Glad I’m not on an island alone. There’s no doubt KBS is in a naturally beautiful setting, KBS itself though - not so beautiful IMO. I don’t think another football fields worth of turf is going to make it look any better. Really wish instead of the EZ facility they could have reconfigured the stadium to have seating closer to the field, i always feel like I’m a mile away from the action at KBS unfortunately and it doesn’t make for a great viewing experience.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:56 am

I asked DG personally about hedges or Rhododendron along the edge of the sideline seating when I had a chance to talk to him at a Grant Thornton Yosef Club fundraiser last year and he told me that wasn't going to happen.

I think the distance between the sideline and the seating is overblown. I've been on the field at BOA stadium and I'm pretty sure the distance between the field and the seating is similar to KBS. When the track is gone we will forget it was ever there. We don't need to have hedges to fill the space, although I agree it would be pretty cool.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:06 am

The space on the sides isn't an issue, but I do hope they minimize the space at the endzones. I'd like to see the hill slope reduced and pushed closer.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:31 pm

I guess it’s more of a personal opinion, but i don’t know how you can visit any other college football venue in the state and say that the extraordinary amount of space we have on the sidelines isn’t a problem, comparatively speaking. Again, i know money doesn’t grow on trees and Duke is in a different stratosphere when it comes to money than us, but the renovation of Wallace Wade is what we should have emulated.

Did find it interesting Duke was able to remove the track, lower the field 5 feet, and add extra seating all in a 5 month period. And there was even snow!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:45 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:31 pm
I guess it’s more of a personal opinion, but i don’t know how you can visit any other college football venue in the state and say that the extraordinary amount of space we have on the sidelines isn’t a problem, comparatively speaking. Again, i know money doesn’t grow on trees and Duke is in a different stratosphere when it comes to money than us, but the renovation of Wallace Wade is what we should have emulated.

Did find it interesting Duke was able to remove the track, lower the field 5 feet, and add extra seating all in a 5 month period. And there was even snow!
yeah but Duke has a full-size practice field sitting right next to the stadium and a full-size indoor practice facility sitting next to it. Unfortunately we do not.

I understand the need for more field space for practices and drills. Although I agree a 10 ft wide concourse walkway in front of the student section Sure would make ingress and egress through the stadium much better. Also would allow a lot of standing room only for a sold out game.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:48 pm

I think the space on the sides will eventually be reduced when the stands are re-done. Until then, it is what it is.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:07 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:45 pm
Yosef10 wrote:

yeah but Duke has a full-size practice field sitting right next to the stadium and a full-size indoor practice facility sitting next to it. Unfortunately we do not.

I understand the need for more field space for practices and drills. Although I agree a 10 ft wide concourse walkway in front of the student section Sure would make ingress and egress through the stadium much better. Also would allow a lot of standing room only for a sold out game.
Yeah i do get the practicality of it all, and like 84 said, it is what it is. Our indoor is currently at what, 50 yards? And wasn’t there some talk of expanding that out to 100 recently?

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:53 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:07 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:45 pm
Yosef10 wrote:

Yeah i do get the practicality of it all, and like 84 said, it is what it is. Our indoor is currently at what, 50 yards? And wasn’t there some talk of expanding that out to 100 recently?
Sofield Indoor is currently 80-yards by 60-yards, I believe. And yes, expanding or building anew, a full 100-yard indoor facility has been discussed, but that would be down the road most likely, at some point post-Softball field relocation to the 105 complex.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”