Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Stadium Area Pics

Yosef10
School: Appalachian State

Re: Stadium Area Pics

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:41 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:40 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:24 pm
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:48 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:14 pm
And they don’t even have the track turfed over yet, which I’m not really a fan of to begin with. I just don’t get the rationale here.
You do realize we have men's and women's track teams that will use that track through the spring, right?
I did not, figured they would have already moved them out of there. I guess when you’re just turfing it over you don’t need much time.
We can't "move them out" until there's somewhere for them to go. The 105 property has a long way to go before it's ready for tennis, softball, and track & field to move out there. It's been raining a bit, too, making dirt moving for site prep a little tough.

Also, there will be more done than just turfing over the current track. We'll go from one field that's used by much more than just the football field to some sideline to sideline type practice fields.

All of the changes will happen as quickly as they can be made correctly. Being patient will be helpful.
Re-reading this...you’re saying the sidelines of the football stadium are going to double as practice fields for other sports? I really hope that’s not the case.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:41 pm
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
And they don’t even have the track turfed over yet, which I’m not really a fan of to begin with. I just don’t get the rationale here.
You do realize we have men's and women's track teams that will use that track through the spring, right?
I did not, figured they would have already moved them out of there. I guess when you’re just turfing it over you don’t need much time.
We can't "move them out" until there's somewhere for them to go. The 105 property has a long way to go before it's ready for tennis, softball, and track & field to move out there. It's been raining a bit, too, making dirt moving for site prep a little tough.

Also, there will be more done than just turfing over the current track. We'll go from one field that's used by much more than just the football field to some sideline to sideline type practice fields.

All of the changes will happen as quickly as they can be made correctly. Being patient will be helpful.
Re-reading this...you’re saying the sidelines of the football stadium are going to double as practice fields for other sports? I really hope that’s not the case.
Daphne is talking about the 105 site?

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:45 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:41 pm
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

Visualize the current football field. There's only one way to practice on that field - north / south. At best you get two groups with one at each end of the field ... and a bunch of players standing around. That's a best case scenario when the football team actually gets 100% of the only outdoor football field we have.

Now, stretch the square footage of the current field all the way to the stands on each side. Visualize the current north / south field and two shorter east / west field. That gives you four sizable practice areas, more players engaged, more coaching happening, etc.

Once the 105 property is developed and the track can be removed / turfed over, our current football field will (finally!) be pretty much a football only field.

Your donations to Yosef help the whole process.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:39 pm

I swear DG read this message board

https://appstatesports.com/news/2019/2/ ... -2019.aspx

What is the latest on the Owens Field House demolition and end zone project construction?

As many of you have seen, the area around Kidd Brewer Stadium is undergoing a transformation as the process to build both the end zone facility and the new residence hall complex begins. The Duck Pond Field and half of the Stadium Lot are now closed off with construction fencing, as well as Owens Field House.

Everything of note has been removed from Owens, with many of those items moving elsewhere on campus to be used or repurposed in other university buildings, and demolition of Owens is scheduled for mid-March. Once that is complete, the next step is site prep for construction of the end zone project.

We have been in communication with Yosef Club members who have parked in the Stadium Lot on game days about their options for game day parking in 2019. If you are a Yosef Club member who hasn't filled out one of the mailed parking request forms yet, the deadline to reply is March 29. Spaces will start being allocated once the season ticket renewal process is complete on April 30.

When will the track be removed from Kidd Brewer Stadium?

There are several factors that go into answering that question completely. As many of you know, the Appalachian 105 project at the old Watauga High School site includes plans for an athletics complex with a new track, tennis courts and softball stadium, among other amenities.

We have hired an architect and contractor for that complex, and we're currently looking at plan and cost estimates for the new track, tennis and softball facilities. We are still working every day to raise funds to cover the cost of building these new planned facilities that will make the future of App State Athletics even brighter, and this is where your support in terms of joining the Yosef Club, buying season tickets and contributing to the "A Mountaineer Impact" initiative is vital.

Before we go through with removing the track at Kidd Brewer Stadium, we have to make sure we've secured everything needed to replace it with a new one at the Appalachian 105 site. At The Rock, there are plans to increase the available practice space by adding turf where the track currently sits, but the track must be removed instead of just being covered by new turf.

Ideally, our goal is to begin the 2020 football season with both the track removed and the new end zone project complete. Removing the track and installing new turf in its place comes with a price tag of between $1.5 million and $2 million. With your support, we will continue to work to raise money to fund that project, so your contributions are incredibly important. To make a gift, simply click HERE or call the Yosef Club at 828-262-3018.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:42 pm

I can’t believe removing the track and covering it with turf costs 1.5-2 million. That seems astronomical for what it is. Maybe just the University/sports complex markup? It’s like renting chairs for a wedding.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:55 pm

Glad we got some clarification on the track, and very glad to hear it will actually be removed.

I get the practicality aspect of using all that room where the track used to be for practice and everything but, and I’m sorry to say this, i just think it will look kinda be bush league.

I never thought I’d say it, but i think the track kinda makes all that open space look better than i think it will be wide open with nothing but turf there.

I know we need money to do these things, but i was really hoping they would figure out someway to eliminate all the extra space that will be left due to the removal of the track.

Again, i know we just started this FBS thing and have a long way to go in regards to $$$, but kinda sucks looking at what ECU has in Dowdy-Ficklen and then compare to Kidd Brewer.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:03 pm

Ideally, our goal is to begin the 2020 football season with both the track removed and the new end zone project complete.

Seed planted.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:39 pm

Nothing is cheap. Just laying turf over the track would look shoddy and wouldn't produce usable turf (practice). It would probably create hazards with the ridges at the edge of the track. If we're going to do something, let's do it more than half way. I have to admit that seeing this money flowing out hurts though.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:51 pm

DG agreed with me that he liked the endzone designs at the NO Bowl last year. Said, when we get the new turf they might look into it.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:01 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:42 pm
I can’t believe removing the track and covering it with turf costs 1.5-2 million. That seems astronomical for what it is. Maybe just the University/sports complex markup? It’s like renting chairs for a wedding.
I say we all volunteer to bring our backyard tools and destroy the track in return for customized T shirts that say “Today I gave my All to destroy the Kidd Brewer Track”. The University can cover the cost of hauling off the debris and we can see how much that saves them.

On a serious note, my guess is the cost has a lot to do with debris removal and recycling the material.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:03 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:55 pm
Glad we got some clarification on the track, and very glad to hear it will actually be removed.

I get the practicality aspect of using all that room where the track used to be for practice and everything but, and I’m sorry to say this, i just think it will look kinda be bush league.

I never thought I’d say it, but i think the track kinda makes all that open space look better than i think it will be wide open with nothing but turf there.

I know we need money to do these things, but i was really hoping they would figure out someway to eliminate all the extra space that will be left due to the removal of the track.

Again, i know we just started this FBS thing and have a long way to go in regards to $$$, but kinda sucks looking at what ECU has in Dowdy-Ficklen and then compare to Kidd Brewer.
There are ways they can make all of that green look better, but anything will look better than that track.
The Appalachian State

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:15 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:01 pm
Gonzo wrote:
I say we all volunteer to bring our backyard tools and destroy the track in return for customized T shirts that say “Today I gave my All to destroy the Kidd Brewer Track”. The University can cover the cost of hauling off the debris and we can see how much that saves them.

On a serious note, my guess is the cost has a lot to do with debris removal and recycling the material.
I'd guess there are two things (in addition to what you point out) that are major contributors: I'm assuming the entire turf is being replaced, as what we have is somewhat old and in need of replacement. Second, the land under the track will have to be prepped for laying the turf, it isn't just laying it on bare dirt. That's a ton of concrete that must be placed before turf can go on top.
Give 'em hell!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:46 pm

Just FYI, when they replace the turf, you can get pieces cause the crews just throw them out. I got a piece of the old green endzone when it was changed in 2016, about the size of a parking space. I know others got some gold trim and maybe even old block A's.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:48 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:15 pm
I'd guess there are two things (in addition to what you point out) that are major contributors: I'm assuming the entire turf is being replaced, as what we have is somewhat old and in need of replacement. Second, the land under the track will have to be prepped for laying the turf, it isn't just laying it on bare dirt. That's a ton of concrete that must be placed before turf can go on top.
Also, there are 200 pounds of black pellets per square foot. That's can't be cheap. Those things are packed in there. Take em out, and the turf is very light.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:42 pm

Gonzo wrote:
It's close to a million to prepare and cover a football field with field turf. It was about $800K to do our stadium in York 10 years ago.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:40 am

My AD gives the people what they want.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:31 pm

I'm puzzled with something though. Owens is going down right now, and construction of the new EZ facility will supposedly begin shortly thereafter. DG has also repeated that the track plan is to remove track prior to 2020 season, "based on timeline and resources to move and build the new track." Which leaves some wiggle room on the time frame for the track removal depending on resources.

All the renderings, including the new ones that we all got through the Yosef Club, show the new EZ facility pretty close to the endline of the endzone, which is great. It would be idiotic and short-sighted to build that structure one track-width away from the field.

Obviously the track would be unusable for T&F if there's a building sitting on it. Are we going to pause all construction of the EZ facility until we can fund, plan, and build the old WHS athletic complex track? Are we going to build this fantastic new facility one track-width from the field?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Replacing the current turf alone could be in the $800k range or more, depending on enhancements .

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:31 pm
I'm puzzled with something though. Owens is going down right now, and construction of the new EZ facility will supposedly begin shortly thereafter. DG has also repeated that the track plan is to remove track prior to 2020 season, "based on timeline and resources to move and build the new track." Which leaves some wiggle room on the time frame for the track removal depending on resources.

All the renderings, including the new ones that we all got through the Yosef Club, show the new EZ facility pretty close to the endline of the endzone, which is great. It would be idiotic and short-sighted to build that structure one track-width away from the field.

Obviously the track would be unusable for T&F if there's a building sitting on it. Are we going to pause all construction of the EZ facility until we can fund, plan, and build the old WHS athletic complex track? Are we going to build this fantastic new facility one track-width from the field?
The project is still in design and bidding phase. I doubt we will see construction till late summer/ fall. But you bring up a good point that there is currently not a track and field project that had been submitted for biding nor has any anoucement been made concerning the home of track and field.

https://pdc.appstate.edu/projects/kidd- ... h-end-zone

Edit: found the track relocation. It’s on a different part of the website. https://pdc.appstate.edu/advertisements and is still being advertised.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:36 pm

I’d bet we will play the 2019 season with no EZ facility at all. Not even one that’s in progress (circa 2008). We can’t even start building it until the Track Facility, that’s apparently still in bidding stage, is complete.

Honestly what’s the point of even demolishing Owens this early other than to appease reasonably impatient fans/donors like me?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”