Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App Grad with an awful idea

NoLongerLurking
School: Appalachian State

Re: App Grad with an awful idea

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:54 am

No, but I play one on the internet.
hapapp wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:40 am
NoLongerLurking wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 pm
I guess none of you'ns ever had a 10 ft johnboat with 2 oars or a trolling motor that had to be registered. High Rock Lake may be full of liquored up rednecks in pontoon boats, but god forbid a 14 year old kid buy a used john boat from delk's and not have it registered. Anyway, 79% of App grads I meet are idiots, and taxation is theft. Registration is a form of taxation, and that is also theft.
Are you among the 79%?

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:18 am

appgrouch wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:03 am
Rare post for me nowadays, but still grouchy.

I think that all vehicles, yes a bicycles are vehicles, should have to be registered to be on the roadways.
I have seen too many bicycles blow through stop signs/lights, weave through traffic with no regard for anyone's safety, and about run over pedestrians. All that with no ability to ID them other than they were riding a white Huffy. If a biker cuts across the road in front of me and I have the full right to where I am and I have to swerve to miss them and damage my car, then I should have some recourse and way to ID and report the person.
Pedestrians can do all of those things too. Should we make everyone hang a license tag from the back of their shirts?

People on bikes can be and are ticketed for some of the behavior you noted, even without the bikes being registered.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:20 am

Hopefully one day Western North Carolinians will begin electing folks who actually represent their best interests. Hopefully. Can’t see how this would help one constituent of his in Alexander Co.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:44 am

I suppose this is the rationale , but I have no dog in this fight ."The bill outlines the registration fees to be used by the Department of Transportation “for bicycle safety related projects, including bicycle 13 lanes, signage, safety education, and bicycle helmet grants for minors.”

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:55 am

"I have seen too many bicycles blow through stop signs/lights, weave through traffic with no regard for anyone's safety, and about run over pedestrians. All that with no ability to ID them........."

If the person on the bicycle is riding really bad, I have seen physics show its ugly side. This usually occurs when said bicyclist gets severely injured or killed. They are eventually identified by either fingerprints, some kind of ID or by other means. Just sayin'!!
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:57 am

I think that is part of my problem with it. That is complete horse ****. Today in CLT, city leaders love to pat themselves on the back for “creating” bike lanes and then requiring cyclists to remain in the lane. I ride a decent amount and have never seen any maintenance or cleaning of these lanes. With all of the debris, it is completely dangerous to ride in a designated bike lane.

Also ~Why are we picking on bikes? Scooters, rollerblades, strollers should be treated the same way.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:19 am

Uptown Charlotte now has electric scooters that you can ride by swiping your credit/debit card. People are zipping all over the place on them....side-walks, roads, etc. Most people have sense but I've seen a few complete idiots. In my opinion these are way more dangerous than bikes.

CharlotteApp05 is right though....riding in the debris filled bike lanes is actually dangerous, especially if you're on a road bike. Mountain bikes or hybrids aren't as bad.

There are better ways of funding safety programs than through registration. The maintenance cost for this would be tremendous and I doubt it would wind up being a revenue generator.

skirks22

Unread post by skirks22 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:34 am

Heard about this bill this morning. Terrible.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 am

Whatever happened to Republicans being about fiscal responsibility and smaller government?
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:19 pm

moonshine wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 am
Whatever happened to Republicans being about fiscal responsibility and smaller government?
He's a Foxx disciple, if that tells you anything.
Give 'em hell!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:25 pm

I had Virginia Foxx for sociology when I was at App. Let's just say I didn't sign up to follow. LOL

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:01 pm

appgrouch wrote:

I think that all vehicles, yes a bicycles are vehicles, should have to be registered to be on the roadways.
I have seen too many bicycles blow through stop signs/lights, weave through traffic with no regard for anyone's safety, and about run over pedestrians. All that with no ability to ID them other than they were riding a white Huffy. If a biker cuts across the road in front of me and I have the full right to where I am and I have to swerve to miss them and damage my car, then I should have some recourse and way to ID and report the person.
Valid point Mr. Elmore

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:02 pm

appchicago wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:18 am
appgrouch wrote:

Pedestrians can do all of those things too. Should we make everyone hang a license tag from the back of their shirts?

People on bikes can be and are ticketed for some of the behavior you noted, even without the bikes being registered.
Mine would read "2cool2b4real"

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:52 pm

I was talking about this with a colleague of mine today who is a sitting State Senator. He shared my initial reaction, which was that this seems like yet another attack on the poor with no evidence of addressing a problem that actually exists.

brocktune90

Unread post by brocktune90 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:40 pm

I live in Portland, OR. Due to so many cyclist, the Bureau of Transportation sees diminished revenue for road upkeep. The revenue typically comes from the gas tax and vehicle registration. A cyclist pays neither of these. In Jan. 2018, a flat tax of $15 was charged for every bike sold larger than 26 inches and sells for more than $200. That $15 is supposed to serve non motorized vehicles, but that has not been audited yet. Our most recent bridge over the Willamette River does not allow private cars, only mass transit and pedestrian/cyclist but that was prior to the tax.

AppBox

Unread post by AppBox » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:03 am

appgrouch wrote:
If a biker cuts across the road in front of me and I have the full right to where I am and I have to swerve to miss them and damage my car, then I should have some recourse and way to ID and report the person.
Don’t swerve. ID problem solved.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:43 pm

Golf carts should be registered if they are going to ride on the street. And if a 10 yr. kid is driving it, the kid ought to be required to have a license.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:52 am

Maybe it's just me being from Asheville but I don't have a problem with it. Mainly because in my neck of the woods, cyclists get on the road and act like they own the place. They don't move over, they don't ride single file, if you're on a hill they become a hazard, they don't bother to give you the courtesy to tell you if there is any oncoming traffic as you go around a curve and need to pass them, etc.

If you're going to ride in the middle of the lane and get in my way, pay for the privilege. If not there are plenty of trails and tracks for you enjoy, lol.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:36 am

Talking with a state Rep and Senator today (both sides of the politcal spectrum), they laughed about this bill, saying people have been calling their office like crazy opposing it. Also, they said there's a zero percent chance this bill ever makes the floor.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:29 am

Bike riders are not people you want to mess with.

Some interpret sharing the road as they have the right of way.

Anyone that rides in a non-bike lane at 5 PM on a main road is borderline insane, not someone I’d want to go against politically.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”