Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App Grad with an awful idea

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Re: App Grad with an awful idea

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:45 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:29 am
Bike riders are not people you want to mess with.

Some interpret sharing the road as they have the right of way.

Anyone that rides in a non-bike lane at 5 PM on a main road is borderline insane, not someone I’d want to go against politically.
And if you’re willing to squeeze all your giblets into those spanks and put all your weight on your gooch for hours at a time you clearly don’t even feel pain.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:33 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:29 am
Bike riders are not people you want to mess with.

Some interpret sharing the road as they have the right of way.

Anyone that rides in a non-bike lane at 5 PM on a main road is borderline insane, not someone I’d want to go against politically.
This past fall I was driving home from my part time job on a pretty busy two lane. It was evening and the sun was setting. I was heading west directly into the setting sun, could barely see. The traffic was heavy and moving at about 55 mph. There was this ol fart (about my age) riding his bike along the white line on the side of the road, totally insane!! He was heading into the setting sun too. I thought he was totally nuts. He was lucky to survive that day. By the way, he was riding the bike like that "Wizard of Oz" lady did, I couldn't believe my eyes:

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:40 am

Bikes are technically allowed to occupy the entire lane on any road where they aren’t specifically banned.

I drive and bike and see a lot more entitled behavior from drivers (protected by a couple tons of steel and glass) than from cyclists. There are lousy bike riders out there, but I’ve been out riding (obeying all laws and being considerate) and had dudes in giant pickups TRAVELING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION lay on their horns and flip me off and yell at me to get off the road. It wasn’t even a rural thoroughfare. It was a secondary road with relatively light traffic in a city where bikes aren’t rare.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:05 am

moonshine wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 am
Whatever happened to Republicans being about fiscal responsibility and smaller government?
That is a fantasy"talking point" only

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:51 pm

A "tax" that is built into the original purchase price for a certain class of bike would be acceptable to me but an annual registration creates an administrative burden that offsets any benefit and is a deterrent for people taking up the activity. Just my opinion of course.

AppstateCycling

Unread post by AppstateCycling » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:36 pm

As Stated by appchicago, cyclists are legally allowed to use the whole lane. While we are typically ok hugging the edge, there are times where for our safety as well as the drivers we will "take the lane". Some examples of this include when the university parks the busses in the bus lanes on campus or on an extremely curvy stretch of uphill backroads where passing safely and providing the legally required 3 feet is not possible. It has also been shown that riding two abreast increases safety for all involved because it increases visibility and necessitates the need for the driver to pass at a safe distance. Just remember that you are surrounded by 2 tons of metal to protect you are we aren't. Please just accept the extra 30 seconds it might take to get to your destination and keep everyone safe!

Additionally, just like a couple bad drivers Don't represent all, just because some cyclists are disrespectful this does not mean all are disrespectful.In the High Country, A good number of us are representing the university at a Regional and National Level.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”