Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Appstate Endzone Camera

appgrouch
School: Appalachian State
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Re: Appstate Endzone Camera

Unread post by appgrouch » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:02 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:48 am
How was the entrance done before the current athletics center when both teams were in Owens(rip)?
If both teams were ready to go at the same time, the visitors would yield to the home entrance.
There wasn't that much of an issue.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:46 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:00 pm
"The track looks high schoolish"
"Having so much room between the stands and field looks high schoolish"
"The inflatable helmet looks high schoolish."

If there are ways to do it better without affecting non-athletic buildings/programs, then it should be looked into. If a team comes in and has a practice midday on Friday, are you going to chase the classes and students out of the Quinn or are you going to have them have to get back on a bus and go back to the hotel to shower and change? If someone is ejected, will you have security standing by to walk with him all the way, through the crowd and to the Quinn. If someone is hurt to the point they need to go to the locker room to be examined, will they have to take a cart ride clear around the stadium to get to the Quinn. If there is a controversial play that ends the game, are you willing to be responsible for getting the team through the crowd in a way that there are no incidents between the team and fans? There are practical concerns to this.

It may be temporary, but it shouldn't be half assed and thrown together. We are doing this upgrade to show that we are an elite G5 program, let's not be seen as giving the visitors the shaft just because it is easier.
I think you're getting a little worked up over a 1-2 year inconvenience. The whole project is for the eventual greater good. Nobody (not the league, not visiting teams and fans, not the 4 students who use the Quinn on game day who can use the SRC or student union gym [assuming its still there]) is going to judge Appalachian State University as harshly during a construction project as you just did. Most of campus was a construction project while I was there (02-07). We built a library, the parking deck, the solarium, demolished Winkler, and the east side stands. None of which left a lasting negative opinion in my mind.

*the east side stands ARE cheap aluminum bleachers but they're not that awful.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:29 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:46 pm
appgrouch wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:00 pm
"The track looks high schoolish"
"Having so much room between the stands and field looks high schoolish"
"The inflatable helmet looks high schoolish."

If there are ways to do it better without affecting non-athletic buildings/programs, then it should be looked into. If a team comes in and has a practice midday on Friday, are you going to chase the classes and students out of the Quinn or are you going to have them have to get back on a bus and go back to the hotel to shower and change? If someone is ejected, will you have security standing by to walk with him all the way, through the crowd and to the Quinn. If someone is hurt to the point they need to go to the locker room to be examined, will they have to take a cart ride clear around the stadium to get to the Quinn. If there is a controversial play that ends the game, are you willing to be responsible for getting the team through the crowd in a way that there are no incidents between the team and fans? There are practical concerns to this.

It may be temporary, but it shouldn't be half assed and thrown together. We are doing this upgrade to show that we are an elite G5 program, let's not be seen as giving the visitors the shaft just because it is easier.
I think you're getting a little worked up over a 1-2 year inconvenience. The whole project is for the eventual greater good. Nobody (not the league, not visiting teams and fans, not the 4 students who use the Quinn on game day who can use the SRC or student union gym [assuming its still there]) is going to judge Appalachian State University as harshly during a construction project as you just did. Most of campus was a construction project while I was there (02-07). We built a library, the parking deck, the solarium, demolished Winkler, and the east side stands. None of which left a lasting negative opinion in my mind.

*the east side stands ARE cheap aluminum bleachers but they're not that awful.
The 4 students could only use the Student Union, everything else has to be shut down for football and note I was not talking about Saturdays, I was talking about class days. The Quinn and any classes in it will already have to be closed for the Thursday game as it is. Students pay to have class and workout, not for a visiting team to shower after practice. With the exception of moving the departments out of Whitener Hall, no other buildings were closed due to non-academic events.

If there is any problems with the teams getting back and forth to the Quinn, the teams and league will be judging us.

1-2 years, we are already 2 months behind and name a project on the main campus of this size that finished on time and budget.

"The whole project is for the eventual greater good." of Athletics. Except for the catering space, 99% of non-athlete students will not gain any good from this project.

If we are going into this much debt, lets do it correctly and with the least impact to everything as possible.

And I said nothing about the East Stands, they would be better with the cover that Laney had in his plans.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:19 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:29 pm
The 4 students could only use the Student Union, everything else has to be shut down for football and note I was not talking about Saturdays, I was talking about class days. The Quinn and any classes in it will already have to be closed for the Thursday game as it is. Students pay to have class and workout, not for a visiting team to shower after practice. With the exception of moving the departments out of Whitener Hall, no other buildings were closed due to non-academic events.
You got me on this one, I didn't read closely enough that you were specifically talking about classes, however...when major projects are underway sacrifices have to be made. In this situation we're demolishing something and building something new in its place. There is no perfect answer that adequately serves everyone. And demanding that is unreasonable.
If there is any problems with the teams getting back and forth to the Quinn, the teams and league will be judging us.
Most of the schools in our conference have undergone similar building projects in the past decade. They'll understand.
1-2 years, we are already 2 months behind and name a project on the main campus of this size that finished on time and budget.
Irrelevant. Past projects being delayed doesn't mean this one will be. Unless you have a crystal ball or time musheen (Idiocracy) there's no way for you to know when this project will be done.
"The whole project is for the eventual greater good." of Athletics. Except for the catering space, 99% of non-athlete students will not gain any good from this project.
There's plenty of research and real world examples of how athletics positively affects student life and the university as a whole: applications, donations, expansion, additional programs, etc. Look at schools like Alabama and Clemson and tell me athletic success doesn't trickle down to a more positive student experience.
If we are going into this much debt, lets do it correctly and with the least impact to everything as possible.
We don't know how the money for this project is allocated. It's plausible (as with all major building projects) that this project is on a tight budget and all funds are thoughtfully allocated. Don't like it? Pony up for the money to build temporary locker rooms on site.
And I said nothing about the East Stands, they would be better with the cover that Laney had in his plans.
You didn't but I did as a relevant example of another building project on campus during my time, one that directly affected the football program and our game-day experience. Those other projects directly affected my experience on campus - from parking, to getting to classes, to holding classes in alternative locations while construction was in-progress.

I'm not telling you that you're wrong and that inconveniences won't happen. I'm just trying to say you have to be willing to accept the inconvenience as part of this project.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:08 pm

I've been in Quinn, there is not enough shower and restroom space for a team of 80-100 players. There will need to be some temp solutions.
Bring Your A Game!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:20 pm

7 Fridays, 14 tops. NOT AN ISSUE. We've dressed in tents on the road before. And in buildings that we're dungholes. And again I ask WHERE? Drives me crazy when people complain/criticize but offer no plausible alternative.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:40 pm

WHO CARES???

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:05 am

As for the debt we're going incurring that someone mentioned associated with the NEZ project, wasn't the debt service going to be covered by tenant lease payments and food service income? Also, with a small portion of the cost covered by outright gifts? My impression was that this was basically a self-funded project over time. Struck me as a creative way to get it done if that's all true.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:50 am

huskie3 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:08 pm
I've been in Quinn, there is not enough shower and restroom space for a team of 80-100 players. There will need to be some temp solutions.
While I think your point still stands, most conferences limit their schools travel squads to around 70 or less.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:59 am

97APP wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:50 am
huskie3 wrote:
While I think your point still stands, most conferences limit their schools travel squads to around 70 or less.
Why are we so worried about the visiting team. We will provide the best accommodations available. Quinn is what is available. Nuff Said. Let us move on to more important things. How are the new North End Zone Loge and Box seats selling?
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:15 am

huskie3 wrote:
They don't need to shower. They can all enjoy the collective smell of duck butter as they ride back home in defeat.
Last edited by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

WarApp

Unread post by WarApp » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:17 pm

I've never seen such a bizarre level of hand-wringing about something that is both temporary and entirely inconsequential in terms of the big picture of the future of this program.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:24 pm

WarApp wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:17 pm
I've never seen such a bizarre level of hand-wringing about something that is both temporary and entirely inconsequential in terms of the big picture of the future of this program.
MMB posters typically reserve hand-wringing for Wednesday discussion, but decided to bump it up a day or so this time.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:06 pm

Since when did Georgia Southern players shower???????????????

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:24 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:06 pm
Since when did Georgia Southern players shower???????????????
They'd probably all be excited to hop in Duck Pond and take a bath, just like at home in "beautiful" eagle creek.
Give 'em hell!

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:42 pm

Stink gets a shower once every two years to wash off the smell of getting their keisters kicked at The Rock.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:21 am

If they are smart for the North End Zone they will do like Clemson has with West End Zone and make food inclusive with buffet set-up.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:50 am

These construction guys are getting after it!!! Has anyone see the progress on the new parking deck?

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:53 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:50 am
These construction guys are getting after it!!! Has anyone see the progress on the new parking deck?
nope, post pics.

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:40 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:50 am
I drove by there earlier this week and was amazed at the progress on the parking deck. I will try to get pictures next time. It made me wish we had a camera pointing that direction too

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”