Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:06 am

yikas1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:02 am
It’s ironic to me that alcohol may be served legally at college sporting events at the same time that students are dying from hazing and alcohol poisoning on college campuses. If I wanted to go to a drunken brawl officially I can always attend the Carolina Panthers game. Why would you make that easier on college campuses to drink at football games?
It doesnt seem to be a problem now drinking at/before games......Hazing and alcohol poisoning are happening in private environments. There isn't a correlation here. The problem with student drinking is before and after games and i'm sure it will be well regulated and monitored. I would enjoy a couple AMB's during the game and the profit helps the school.

t4pizza

Re: North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:41 am

We have already been selling alcohol at games for years, just not to the masses, and there hasn't seemed to be any negative issues associated with it. There are plenty of other schools that sell alcohol at games. Although it may come as a surprise to many, those schools report LESS problems associated with alcohol at games. I know many don't like facts to get in the way of their opinions but this scenario has already played out and the doom and gloom that is predicted by those against alcohol sales just doesn't materialize in the real world.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:47 am

For the record, as I stated above, I don't think selling beer at the concessions would really increase alcohol consumption or drunkenness especially among students. I wouldn't see students as the target for these $8 beer sales. That said, I will be pretty surprised if this bill actually passes in today's political climate. I guess stranger things have happened but there's a big difference in it being proposed and it passing.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:06 am

yikas1 wrote:
It’s ironic to me that alcohol may be served legally at college sporting events at the same time that students are dying from hazing and alcohol poisoning on college campuses. If I wanted to go to a drunken brawl officially I can always attend the Carolina Panthers game. Why would you make that easier on college campuses to drink at football games?
I've been a PSL owner for two years now and I've probably been to 50 Panthers games before that. This is anecdotal, but I've never been in a fight at a Panthers game, not even close, and I don't recall ever seeing one inside the stadium.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 am

I’ve been. pSL owner fr the beginning. Saw one fight.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:06 am
yikas1 wrote:
I've been a PSL owner for two years now and I've probably been to 50 Panthers games before that. This is anecdotal, but I've never been in a fight at a Panthers game, not even close, and I don't recall ever seeing one inside the stadium.
Never saw a fight at an NFL game either (Panthers, Falcons, or Eagles' stadiums but sure have seen drunks yell cuss and insult words and throw stuff, not to mention barfing and stumbling. Mild I guess compared to what they could be doing, though.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:35 am

Looks like this will become law. Hopefully DG and co are on top of getting this implemented for the 2019 season. I know the crowd down in Greenville is prepared for it. I’d hate to fall further behind them than we already are in the revenue department.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:55 am

TheMoody1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:50 am
yikas1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:34 am
I love college football but I also work with college kids who are self medicating their life away. There is not enough money to change that reality.
I doubt they will be buying many $8 beers in the stadium.
And about 3/4 of them will be legally unable to do so.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:21 am

appchicago wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:55 am
TheMoody1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:50 am
yikas1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:34 am
I love college football but I also work with college kids who are self medicating their life away. There is not enough money to change that reality.
I doubt they will be buying many $8 beers in the stadium.
And about 3/4 of them will be legally unable to do so.
And some of us September and October babies would only be turning 21 after a few home football games so not even a full home slate of football, though there would be winter and spring sports.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 am

Can you imagine the lines and length of time waiting to actually get a beer? ID’s will be checked and it probably won’t really be worth all of the hassle unless we (at App) actually have several places in the stadium where beer is sold.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:13 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 am
Can you imagine the lines and length of time waiting to actually get a beer? ID’s will be checked and it probably won’t really be worth all of the hassle unless we (at App) actually have several places in the stadium where beer is sold.
I would really hope that someone getting paid what the AD is getting paid could figure out how to properly install something as simple as concession lines.

jlm11

Unread post by jlm11 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:41 pm

This entire bill seems less so about selling beer at college games as it does gaining the appropriate permits at large facilities that happen to be associated with colleges. For example, if a concert too large for Holmes wanted to swing through Boone, KBS would still only be able to sell wine and beer in the luxury suites, without additional permits. With the bill, facilities like KBS would have those permits to sell at general concession areas without having to apply for special one day permits. It allows for events that may otherwise pass over NC venues, the ability to purvey alcohol, potentially gaining the state more/larger money producing events.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:39 am

It's been signed by the Governor. So it's official! Now just on to the UNC board of trustees to decide how to impalement it.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sport ... 89757.html

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:20 pm

Like i've need approval for the last 39 years...............

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:01 pm

Ethan Joyce shares today that’s App next BOT meeting is scheduled for 9/13, so unless an emergency meeting is called beforehand - no beer in KBS this season. I probably feel stronger than most on this, but it’s pretty bush league and disappointing if we don’t capitalize on this new revenue stream THIS season. All of our other peers already seemingly had plans in place to address this for the 2019 season. And it’s not about drinking beer for me, it’s about the roughly $400k in revenue we will miss out on.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:01 pm
Ethan Joyce shares today that’s App next BOT meeting is scheduled for 9/13, so unless an emergency meeting is called beforehand - no beer in KBS this season. I probably feel stronger than most on this, but it’s pretty bush league and disappointing if we don’t capitalize on this new revenue stream THIS season. All of our other peers already seemingly had plans in place to address this for the 2019 season. And it’s not about drinking beer for me, it’s about the roughly $400k in revenue we will miss out on.
I anticipate an emergency meeting.

My big concern is the execution. Gameday food and drink has been an utter disaster since Food Services took over. Remember the first Camerlia Bowl game? App fans are THIRSTY. We completely overwhelmed the Cramton Bowl staff.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:56 pm

If he can get through the permitting, Gillin will have beer in KBS this fall

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:07 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:55 pm
*cough cough*

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ ... 0588f.html
Thanks for providing this. I guess i understand not wasting bandwidth on something that isn’t so yet but it did seem like a foregone conclusion. I am confused by DG saying they wouldn’t be doing it to make money, a super conservative profit would be around 200k i would guess, which is about half of the tv contract so that’s pretty good IMO.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:47 am

I remember several years ago when one of the P5’s (maybe Texas) was one of the first to sell beer they expected a loss the first year due to additional equipment purchases and the like. But did project a sizable profit in year 2 and beyond.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”