Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

School: Appalachian State

North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

Unread post by 8993 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:00 pm

If this passes, this could be a major game changer for collegiate sports and sports revenue across North Carolina. Fingers crossed!

"North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events
Friday, March 15th 2019

RALEIGH, N.C. (WLOS) — At least two North Carolina lawmakers want to allow public universities to sell beer and wine at athletic events.

ABC affiliate WTVD reports NC House Majority Leader John Bell and NC Senate Majority Whip Rick Gunn announced on Twitter that they will file a bill next week that would change the rules for sporting events at schools like University of North Carolina and North Carolina State University.

The Atlantic Coast Conference does not ban alcohol sales during games. In fact, alcohol has been sold at ACC Tournament games for basketball and ACC Championship Game for football.

Most schools at least allow the sell alcohol at games in restricted areas--typically for VIPs or more exclusive tickets.

But some even sell alcohol throughout the entire venue: Louisville, Wake Forest and Syracuse to name a few.

Bell and Gunn said they support allowing public universities to sell alcohol for the financial benefits.

They also said security personnel told them it would be a positive step for safety."

https://wlos.com/news/local/north-carol ... ing-events

GregPercussion

Re: North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

Unread post by GregPercussion » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:07 pm

I think this would be a great idea and help provide revenue. No reason not too. Just card everyone.

Appstate88

Re: North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:41 pm

People already drink (Airplane Bottles) at games. Nothing wrong with making some more revenue.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Based upon the bill's sponsors it may well be a done deal , based upon what I have witnessed at NFL games all that glitters is not gold.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:10 pm

The only thing this changes is higher revenue, if people want to get sloppy, they are going to get sloppy. My only request is some quality beer options, not just the cheap stuff.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:49 pm

Great idea all around. Good to see the legislator do something constructive for a change. This will enhance our game day experiences and help fund our student athletes.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:19 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:04 pm
Based upon the bill's sponsors it may well be a done deal , based upon what I have witnessed at NFL games all that glitters is not gold.
I hear you, but NFL crowds are a different beast than college. OSU allows beer sales and since they have alcohol related incidents decreased in a significant way i believe.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 pm

Booneshine and AMB is served in the club, easy to set up a beer tent in the SEZ.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:45 pm

If this passes, Ivory Tower should be the only beer & wine available. All proceeds are put back into the university to support the fermentation sciences department.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Agreed. I have nothing against drinking. However, for many attending Panthers games, the alcohol is more important that the game. I've never seen a fight at an App State game, but I've seen many at Panthers games.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:49 pm

I’ve seen the same , not what I would call a family atmosphere,although Panther fans have good reason to drink.And throw up. I don’t see it cutting into to the liquor smuggling , perhaps it will , but it’s a diffent taste if you will . I love the atmosphere we have , what we have built, hopefully the negative impact will be minimal.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 pm

ULM sells beer at their on campus stadium. Seems like Troy might. Beer, wine and mixed drinks are sold at the Southern Conference Basketball Tournament. I have some mixed feelings about sales at KBS. I have seen quite a few folks in Club that were over the limit but still sold alcohol.

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:57 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Agreed. I have nothing against drinking. However, for many attending Panthers games, the alcohol is more important that the game. I've never seen a fight at an App State game, but I've seen many at Panthers games.
If you think those folks got fight drunk AT at panthers game paying 10$ a beer, you're crazy. That's tailgate drunk. Same as anywhere, I watched a girl try and puke in the side of a covered trash can at the NFC championship game and I've seen multiple walking zombies at App where they don't allow drinking.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:59 pm

Beer and wine sales to the general public would limit the airplane bottles being brought in IMO.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:11 am

AppOrange wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:10 pm
The only thing this changes is higher revenue, if people want to get sloppy, they are going to get sloppy. My only request is some quality beer options, not just the cheap stuff.
"Not just cheap stuff."

Answer: lots of local craft beers. Better quality and supports local businesses. After drinking good crafts the macro brews are just punished water IMO.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:03 am

I drink craft beer, but why not also offer light beer? High gravity pours after hours of tailgating is a big commitment. Sometimes I just want an ice cold crispy boy.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:57 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:45 pm
If this passes, Ivory Tower should be the only beer & wine available. All proceeds are put back into the university to support the fermentation sciences department.
Lafayette sells their own brand at their games. Don’t know how the proceeds work there but putting it back into the program is a good idea.

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:15 pm

I have never seen alcohol turn anyone into a better person, only a worse one. I hope this doesn't pass because it will lead to more fights, more loud profanity and general rudeness etc.. I remember one game a few years back, my Dad and I had season tickets and our seats were at the end of a row. A guy came waddling down the steps and spilled his mixed drink on my Dad's pants. We don't drink. Dad can't even stand to smell it and he had to sit the rest of the game smelling that stuff. The guy didn't say sorry or excuse me even. Just waddled on down only caring about his drunk self. We have enough drunks at games without starting to sell the stuff.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:40 pm

appfanz wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:57 pm
AppDawg wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:45 pm
Lafayette sells their own brand at their games. Don’t know how the proceeds work there but putting it back into the program is a good idea.
Currently this is how Ivory Tower currently works. I believe this is even so with their collaboration brews with Booneshine.

This one particularly should be a staple:

https://untappd.com/b/ivory-tower-brewe ... 0544/photo
5ED19695-EF1F-4268-9D60-0AC9D13A8351.jpeg

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:40 am

mgsouth wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:15 pm
I have never seen alcohol turn anyone into a better person, only a worse one. I hope this doesn't pass because it will lead to more fights, more loud profanity and general rudeness etc.. I remember one game a few years back, my Dad and I had season tickets and our seats were at the end of a row. A guy came waddling down the steps and spilled his mixed drink on my Dad's pants. We don't drink. Dad can't even stand to smell it and he had to sit the rest of the game smelling that stuff. The guy didn't say sorry or excuse me even. Just waddled on down only caring about his drunk self. We have enough drunks at games without starting to sell the stuff.
They’ve done studies at collegiate stadiums pre-selling beer and post-selling beer. The facts do not support your hypothesis.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”