Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

State Senator (Forsyth) sponsors bill to grant certain rights to student athletes

asu66
School: Appalachian State

State Senator (Forsyth) sponsors bill to grant certain rights to student athletes

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:06 am

https://www.journalnow.com/news/local/f ... ail-latest

One wonders if the group supporting this measure has an ax to grind? Does North Carolina need a state commission to micromanage collegiate athletics in public colleges and universities?

SB335 would foremost create a commission to establish health and safety standards, a code of conduct for athletics officials and a format for investigating athlete complaints.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

HighlandsApp

Re: State Senator (Forsyth) sponsors bill to grant certain rights to student athletes

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:48 am

NC General Assembly wants to micromanage everything. Big Government meddling.

scatman77

Re: State Senator (Forsyth) sponsors bill to grant certain rights to student athletes

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:23 am

asu66 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:06 am

One wonders if the group supporting this measure has an ax to grind? Does North Carolina need a state commission to micromanage collegiate athletics in public colleges and universities?

SB335 would foremost create a commission to establish health and safety standards, a code of conduct for athletics officials and a format for investigating athlete complaints.
I have no idea what this is and I have not read the article but this I know: politics and athletics/sports do not, should not, will not, can not ever go together! Politicians have no need to meddle in athletics; they have enough trouble running the government and we all see how well that's going! On the other hand athletics IMO should not be a platform for political grandstanding. The courts, fields, pitches are for competition and not politics.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:35 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:23 am
asu66 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:06 am

I have no idea what this is and I have not read the article but this I know: politics and athletics/sports do not, should not, will not, can not ever go together! Politicians have no need to meddle in athletics; they have enough trouble running the government and we all see how well that's going! On the other hand athletics IMO should not be a platform for political grandstanding. The courts, fields, pitches are for competition and not politics.
Do you feel the same regarding religion and politics? - I'm just not sure where the line is actually drawn between politics and other entities?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:19 pm

Would rather see this for High School/Middle School Athletics.
When one county runs MS FB with 6,7 & 8 and another runs it 7, 8, & 9th it can make for some bad situations.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:18 pm

6,7 & 8 is middle school. 7, 8 & 9 is technically a Junior High School isn't it? I agree that they should compete in the same league. There is too big a gap between an 9th grader and those younger boys.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:01 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:18 pm
6,7 & 8 is middle school. 7, 8 & 9 is technically a Junior High School isn't it? I agree that they should compete in the same league. There is too big a gap between an 9th grader and those younger boys.
It depends on who runs the program. In some counties, at least for FB, the HS Athletic Director also oversees the MS program. This is normally the ones that run 6-8. Other times the Parks and Rec Dept runs the program and that is when there is the 7-9.

Here is the NCHSAA/NCDPI rule
A student shall not participate on a sixth, seventh or eighth grade team if
the student becomes 15 years of age on or before August 31 of that school
year.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”